Sega Dreamcast enthusiasts unite! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally received my Dreamcast VGA cables! Tested out Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK, Project Justice, Power Stone 2 and Guilty Gear X. Man, 480p does wonders for the Dreamcast. my old composite cables literally made games look like turds. I actually think VGA does a better job doing 480p than Component.

Too bad my brother's copy of Soul Calibur is scratched to hell. <__<<br />
I wonder if Dreamcast had any worthy FPS games. I remember Maken X. 60fps, yet you had to melee everything. Urgh. Did look nice though.

Perhaps some House of The Dead can satisfy my 'fps' needs on that console, lol.

Do yourself a favor...if you own a Dreamcast, you must display it via VGA. I think the graphics look great even in today's standards. Dreamcast had a lot of games than ran natively at 60fps. I wish Sony and Microsoft would go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The only other 'real' FPS I remember playing on the Dreamcast was the original Half-Life, although I believe this was an underground release that was never sold in a retail version.

It plays much better on PC, anyway.

BTW, where did you get your VGA cable from? I have always wanted to get one, but they seem to be a bit pricey for a console I don't play that much anymore.
post #3 of 55 Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Racketboy.com has them for about $17 + shipping. There's also lots of listing for VGA cables and boxes on eBay, for around the same price.

I recently got a Dreamcast VGA cable as well, and though my games look great on a PC monitor, my HDTV unfortunately doesn't have a VGA output and I'm looking for a decently-priced VGA-to-component converter as a result. Anybody have any suggestions?

11/14 EDIT: Managed to find one - see post below!
post #4 of 55 Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Dreamcast's S-Video cable works great if you don't have a VGA input on your TV. Though it'll still be 480i. My friend owns one and he has the same TV I do, and the Dreamcast looks great on 480i with S-Video.

I bought my VGA off Ebay FROM Racketboy, lol.

I totally forgot that VGA doesn't have audio passing through it, so I was audioless when I first tried out the VGA cable. Good thing that VGA cable has a 'mic' jack.

I used it to connect a male to male 'mic' cable (forgot what it's really called) to connect it directly my flat panel's PC audio input. Doesn't look like it's supposed to go there, but it works fine. I would have put it on my receiver, but my Pioneer HTIB lacks it.

It's funny seeing MvsC2 with VGA. Blocky characters, but everything else looks amazing. I'd still take the pixellated characters over the incredibly blurry ones the composite cables provided.
post #5 of 55 Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

I used it to connect a male to male 'mic' cable (forgot what it's really called) to connect it directly my flat panel's PC audio input. Doesn't look like it's supposed to go there, but it works fine. I would have put it on my receiver, but my Pioneer HTIB lacks it.

By 'mic' do you mean a 3.5mm jack? If so, try a 3.5mm to RCA adapter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2), then just plug RCA's to your HTIB.

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #6 of 55 Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
onn of the best "party games" i have ever played is Sf Rush 2049 on dreamcast. tehy have battle mode where up tp 4 players try to kill each other with vehicles. man that was a blast. I dominated witht the grenades.

*sigh* man those were the days. staying up all weekend long playing games then trudging into work the next day.

and powerstone rocked also

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #7 of 55 Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I remeber Maken X- Controler and controls were garbage.
I have two Dreamcasts and other than the occasional game of ChuChu Rocket these machines sole purpose is to play the Dreamcast's excellent catalog of 2D fighters! Marvel vs Capcom 1&2, Capcom vs SNK 1&2, King of Fighters (like a million of them), Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Figher 3, Last Blade...

The Dreamcast also had some HARDCORE old-school top-down shooters to boot!

Right now one of my DCs is using 2 ASCII Pad FTs, the other is using two original Saturn Pads I bought off NCSX out of a 'forgotten' stock a couple years back.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #8 of 55 Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 118
lets start an nba/nfl 2k1 league!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #9 of 55 Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
No one has mentioned Virtual On, and probably with reason, that game was near unplayable without the Twin Sticks (which never came out here - but the US version was compatible with the Japanese ones). VO: OT was a perfect arcade port, and just an extremely great game. Very fast paced and tactical. I'd say it is one of the system's 2 or 3 best games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

The only other 'real' FPS I remember playing on the Dreamcast was the original Half-Life, although I believe this was an underground release that was never sold in a retail version.

It had a very good port of Unreal Tournament, playable with the mouse and keyboard too. There was also Quake 3 Arena, I heard that was great too. In addition there were shovelware ports like Hidden & Dangerous and KISS Psycho Circus.

But remember, this was a time before FPS games were popular on console. That really didn't start until Halo.
post #10 of 55 Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What a great game. Ive got 3 DCs, 2 twin sticks, 2 copies VO:OT and a serial cable. The twin sticks are hard to find here.

Does anyone have an ethernet adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin
Even i, the genius, only vaguely understand what i am saying here.
post #11 of 55 Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Twin sticks were hard to find EVERYWHERE. I spent an exorbitant amount of money on mine and the dipshit eBay seller didn't send them to me for like 3-4 months.

But it was worth it.
post #12 of 55 Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 AM

Quake 3 was my first online game. I bought the Sega keyboard and mouse to play it. Once the console broke I sold all the accessories to some company online. BE or B&E, something like that, can't remember the name...

PSN: Smurf_Byte
post #13 of 55 Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 PM

Chu Chu Rocket is sooooo much fun. Though its not everyone's cup of tea.
post #14 of 55 Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 View Post

Chu Chu Rocket is sooooo much fun. Though its not everyone's cup of tea.

The Japanese commercial was crazy enough for me to buy the game alone. It was pretty insane. I'm sure you could youtube it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin
Even i, the genius, only vaguely understand what i am saying here.
post #15 of 55 Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 AM

I still play Space Channel 5 more than I'd like to admit
post #16 of 55 Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Considering the DC is a dead system, I've recently found out how to burn games on it.

Virtual On: OT IS ridiculously impossible to play on a standard controller. I'm not kidding.

Chu Chu Rocket is awesome. Too bad the hard mode has gotten me yanking my hairs out. <__<<br />
I already owned M vs C 2 on it, but I burned a version that had all songs replaced with rock songs. Pretty cool. That game had nice Jazz music that had NO place in a fighting game.

Of course, Capcom Vs SNK2 is THE best 2D fighting game...period. I burned a version that had all it's music replaced as well. I owned the XBox version of the game until I lost it. I didn't even have a xBox...lol. I borrowed a friend's and played it online. Kim and Blanka = pwnage.
post #17 of 55 Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Oh it's so nice to see love for DC
Quake 3 is awesome on VGA, looks good, controls great and runs at a good framerate.

If you have not tried it, you have to get 2 keyboards and play Typing of the Dead. It is unreal how much fun that is with 2 players
post #18 of 55 Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering the DC is a dead system, I've recently found out how to burn games on it.

I did that too, and after I found out (I did not burn one game when the system was viable) I realized why the system failed. Way too easy. If you want to try a pretty cool and totally forgotten game, give "Super Magnetic Neo" a burn. Pretty cool game, a lot like the old Crash Bandicoots (moving into/out of the screen etc.).

Quote:

Virtual On: OT IS ridiculously impossible to play on a standard controller. I'm not kidding.

It is, which sucks because so few people will ever know how damn amazing the game is. I am not saying that to make myself out to be awesome because I do, I wish more people would have known and enjoyed the game. One of the top 10 games I have ever played, for sure.

Sega actually released a version of Virtual On for the PS2 (Marz) which had absolutely no Twin Stick support and played like garbage and bombed. So we'll never see it again.
post #19 of 55 Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll give Super magnetic Neo a try. I remember playing the demo back in the days of the Official Dreamcast Magazine. I did like it.

I played VO: Marz. Wasn't impressed. My fave was the Saturn version. Oh, how I miss my old Saturn.
post #20 of 55 Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHD21 View Post

The Japanese commercial was crazy enough for me to buy the game alone. It was pretty insane. I'm sure you could youtube it.

Yeah it's a classic. Complete with the blood animation and everything. Kinda creepy when you think about how the game was marketed.

As for the VGA adaptor yeah it's nice to use but to be honest on my HD directview CRT I use (Panny CT34WX54) for my older game systems the s-video connection looks fabulous. It really does a good job of cleaning up what composite video wouldn't. I'm really happy with it and have no desire to track down another vga adaptor. I've never seen my DC, Saturn, or SNES look so good in 2D.
post #21 of 55 Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

S-Video does a great job. I'd get it just for the few games that DON'T support VGA. It's about 90% as good as VGA output.
post #22 of 55 Old 11-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

I may have to find my old dreamcast and pick up one of these VGA cables since I have about 50 games that we went through and made while we were in college. Gamestop selling DCs for $20 bucks so my roommates and I each got one and they worked flawlssly. So much emulated GB tetris was played it was silly. Thanks for the site though VGA cables here I come.

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
post #23 of 55 Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 AM

Finally got my hands on an Audio Authority 9A60 (found a great deal for it on eBay) and hooked it up to my Dreamcast. My goodness, what wonders the VGA cable does for my DC games - Project Justice's anime-esque graphics really pop on it.

I might have to invest in a few more Dreamcast games, though - all I've got are PJ, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 (could never get into the sequel), Skies of Arcadia and both Sonic Adventures.
post #24 of 55 Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 PM

As mentioned, there was Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament...fun FPS's with the keyboard/mouse, but again, probably just better to run on the computer.

Are you running the VGA to an HDTV? Any lag/scaling issues?

I'm thinking of getting the VGA cable for mine but worried about the Samsung DLP lagging it terribly.

Also, anyone know if the NesterDC NES emulator for Dreamcast is VGA compatible? That's about 99% of what I use my DC for now, so I don't want to buy the VGA cable and have it not work.
post #25 of 55 Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM

I'm not much of a Quake fan and I prefer UT2004 anyway. Plus, I agree, PC's are preferrable for FPSes, although I do okay with the Halo games on the Xbox.

Yeah, I've got the DC + VGA hooked up to a HDTV. That's the reason I invested in the VGA cable and converter box - just couldn't stand S-Video on the thing! No lag so far, my Sharp Aquos seems to handle 480p well - not surpising when it's game mode eliminates lag in 480i as well.

And to answer your last question, a quick search of Google shows that NesterDC is VGA compatible, starting with version 5.0.
post #26 of 55 Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Why the hell has nobody mentioned Armada or Starlancer yet? Two of my favorite Dreamcast titles.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #27 of 55 Old 11-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez View Post

Why the hell has nobody mentioned Armada or Starlancer yet? Two of my favorite Dreamcast titles.

I havent tried either I will get them and let you know what I think . It may be a few weeks on playing them as I am waiting on my new plasma to arrive.

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
post #28 of 55 Old 11-15-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Armada is better with multiple people; if I remember correctly, you can play with up to four people.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #29 of 55 Old 11-17-2008, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmazur View Post

Are you running the VGA to an HDTV? Any lag/scaling issues?

I'm thinking of getting the VGA cable for mine but worried about the Samsung DLP lagging it terribly.

Also, anyone know if the NesterDC NES emulator for Dreamcast is VGA compatible? That's about 99% of what I use my DC for now, so I don't want to buy the VGA cable and have it not work.

I have a Samsung LED DLP, and VGA works PERFECTLY on it.

I also have the NesterDC and it's also VGA compatible with no issues.

Game away!
post #30 of 55 Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 PM

I actually repurchased a Dreamcast earlier this year so I could play Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica on it.

Absolutely the best system to play those games on, thanks to the 480p over VGA.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page