Dreamcast VGA box problem with Toshiba REGZA 32HL67U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, everyone.

I am new here and am wholly impressed by your community.

I have searched thoroughly and apologize in advance should this topic have been covered sometime in the past.

Recently, I purchased a VGA box, VGA cable, etc., for my Dreamcast to hook up to my new Toshiba REGZA 32HL67U LCD HDTV. I have used this same box and cable successfully with an older DELL and ACER monitor, but I've dreamed about the idea of playing Dreamcast in all its 480p glory on a 32-inch LCD screen.

However, when I put the TV on the "PC" input and power on the Dreamcast, the words "Unsupported Video Signal" flash up on the screen. Does anyone know how to correct this problem? Will it require a new VGA box, perhaps manufactured by another company? Is there a setting with the TV that needs to be changed? Much, much appreciated for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I suspect your out of luck, sounds like your tv isn't compatible with such a low resolution through the VGA input (480p). Hopefully I'm wrong and someone can correct the problem for you.

Others have encountered similar things with low resolution titles being played through component (Ico on the PS2 for example). The tv wasn't constructed with the expectation that content with lower resolutions than 480i would ever be played through the component input. I'm guessing your experiencing something similar.

If you can verify nothing's broken with the Dreamcast/VGA box and the VGA connector on the tv, perhaps you should see if there's a cheap adapter that can convert 480p VGA to component for you. Not sure if such a thing exists or how pricey it is, but its worth checking into.
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page