Help Connecting My Wii (Am I Wii-tarded?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm dying here trying to figure this out...

I set up my 6100 and it works great. I connected my Blu-ray to HDMI 1 and originally had my FIOS box connected to HDMI 2 until the green screen of death started happening. That's a problem I know is on Verizon's end, so I connected that directly to the TV for the time being until I can get a component and optical cable and run it back through the receiver again. I also have my Wii hooked up to Component 1. Lastly, I have the receiver connected to the TV through the HDMI out.

I noticed that, no matter what I do, I do not see the on screen setup menu on the actual TV. It works fine on the receiver of course, but it doesn't show on the TV. I know the connection is being made between the receiver and TV because I can watch the Blu-ray fine through HDMI 1.

I also cannot figure out how to play the Wii. I have the Wii on and a game in but am getting neither video nor sound. I am almost positive I have the inputs screwed up somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't find out where. I've reset the system and started over numerous times, all to no avail.

Once the Wii is hooked up to the receiver, what input should the TV be on once I select the correct input on the receiver? Should it show up on HDMI 1 since that is the only active input on the TV associated with the receiver?

I know these are newb questions but, damn, I AM a newb! Thanks in advance and I hope my headaches will soon be gone so I can enjoy this lovely piece of equipment.

- Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 AM

My first question is do you have a component cable running out of the reciever to the TV? Some recievers don't support passing an analog signal (composite or component) over HDMI. My first suggestion would be to try hooking up the Wii to a component in on the reciever and then run a seperate component cable from component out to the TV. The next suggestion would be to triple check the component hook ups to make sure everything is where it needs to be.

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #3 of 11 Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I did check the cables and know that my receiver is able to carry the analog signal over the HDMI out to the TV. I am baffled. I've been working on this for like three days.

- Brian
post #4 of 11 Old 02-28-2009, 06:41 PM

I've heard somewhere that some TVs have trouble accepting 480i or sometimes 480p over HDMI. Have you tried hooking the Wii up directly to the TV just to make sure your cables are working correctly? What model TV and reciever do you have?

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #5 of 11 Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just curious, but is the receiver selecting the correct input? So your TV will be on HDMI and the receiver should select the input the Wii is on. You should at least get some sound. Press A on the wii remote to make sure it goes to the main screen for some sound.

Xbox Live Gamertag: TurdFerguson64
PSN Gamertag: TurdFerguson_64
post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have an LN46A650 and an Onkyo 6100 system. The Wii connected to the TV works fine. It's just odd because I don't even get sound...I put off the full install for now but it bothers me daily knowing it isn't connected "right."

- Brian
post #7 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 05:58 AM

Bri, I would look more into what BigWes is saying. I'm having a similar problem on my Pioneer system which outputs everything to my projector via a single HDMI cord.

When looking for a solution, I came across this thread which basically was saying that they couldn't get their receiver to upscale their DVD/Wii 480p to 1080p over the HDMI. At least for their DVD player, they switched it to 480i and then could get the signal out.

Honestly, I haven't tried this solution for myself yet, but it's on my to do list for today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -MLK
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM

I just got a Wii yesterday and while I was setting it up I first tried to connect it to my reciever (Sony HT-SS2000) but it doesn't have component inputs. So I just hooked up the Wii directly to my TV (Phillips 42ta648bx/37) with the component cable I bought from monoprice. The cable worked great, picture and sound came through no problem. I first adjusted my TV's audio and visual settings then adjusted the system settings in the Wii (as mentioned before, set it to 480p and also set the aspect ratio to 16:9 for your widescreen and also make sure your TV is set to widescreen mode). I noticed that the Wii has a "surround" setting. It sounded find on "stero" with just my TV's speakers but want to know how it'll sound with my 5.1 surround. So to do that I'm going to order a 6' coaxial digital audio cable from monoprice ($6 bucks after shipping, can't beat that) and hook that up from the TV to the reciever. That should work. Of course I'm not expecting much because the Wii is not a high def gaming system like the PS3 or 360 but it is a lot of fun to play. If your TV has a Toslink optical out and your reciever has an optical input I would go that route. Again, monoprice.com has these cables at really nice prices. Sorry for the lengthy post, let me know if you have any questions.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm sorry to inform you, but the Wii CANNOT do digital audio, so the coaxial cable you just bought won't be able to be used with the Wii. The Wii can only do Dolby Pro Logic via the red and white cables. That's it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: TurdFerguson64
PSN Gamertag: TurdFerguson_64
post #10 of 11 Old 03-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_H View Post

I'm sorry to inform you, but the Wii CANNOT do digital audio, so the coaxial cable you just bought won't be able to be used with the Wii. The Wii can only do Dolby Pro Logic via the red and white cables. That's it.

The TV he says no the Wii. I have the same tv and it has a SPDIF out. I have basically the same setup he has. That is the only way to get sound from both tv and receiver by way of Wii that is.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 AM

I just received the same TV last night (replacement of comparable model from Phillips warranty) and also have FIOS. I initially connected the TIVO/FIOS box to HDMI-3. Like you, the picture turned to green screen after one minute. Same thing happened when connected to HDMI-2, but it works OK via HDMI-1. So you may be able to connect the TIVO as input to your blue ray and get into HDMI-1 that way. I have my WII connected through the composite side jacks. It all works OK now.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page