Classic gaming consoles in a home theater environment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering which classic gaming consoles (NES, SNES, Sega Genesis and PS1 for example) Could actually benefit being in a proper home theater sound system? I wouldn't necessarily think that a console like the Atari 2600 or NES could gain really anything from being heard through a quality receiver and speakers but perhaps I'm wrong? It seems like consoles in the 16 and 32 bit era would be more suited for that sort of thing, but maybe even they don't benefit significantly either?

Thanks for your help. First hand experience would be nice of you to share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Liked: 93
Some N64, PSX, and DC games provided a ProLogic encoded signal. Additionally, there is a pretty surprising amount of bass to be found in NES and SNES audio, something that most of us didn't hear back in the day hooked up to our TV speakers. High-frequency audio definitely suffered on anything pre-SNES, though.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-31-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Some N64, PSX, and DC games provided a ProLogic encoded signal. Additionally, there is a pretty surprising amount of bass to be found in NES and SNES audio, something that most of us didn't hear back in the day hooked up to our TV speakers. High-frequency audio definitely suffered on anything pre-SNES, though.

Thanks! I was looking at the specs for the SNES and it only had a 33100 kHz sampling rate, so yeah, the high end wasn't very defined.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM

Liked: 93
The audio out of the SNES was rather quite good, in reality. Music was essentially wavetable based MIDI, and at 32khz, 16-bit stereo, it could accurately spit out 1-16khz in audible range. This is good enough to cover just about any male over 18 or any female over 25's range of hearing. With the "MIDI" being wavetable based, it was essentially infinitely tunable to the specific game at hand. This is something that we made a step backward with on the PSX, reverting to essentially MIDI with a single sample set that had to be shared between all games. This is pretty much the reason that a lot of us remember SNES music fondly, but struggle to place anything from the PSX when heard.

On the other hand, sound effects on the SNES kind of sucked. This is purely a function of just not having enough space on ROM to store samples of reasonable quality.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 AM

A few of the older systems can be modded to have a digital out. The SNES, Saturn, and Dreamcast can be done with a extra chip tapping internal lines. The Gamecube can be done also but requires a bit more work for it to run. The info is over at the wiki at http://www.gamesx.com.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman21 View Post

A few of the older systems can be modded to have a digital out. The SNES, Saturn, and Dreamcast can be done with a extra chip tapping internal lines. The Gamecube can be done also but requires a bit more work for it to run. The info is over at the wiki at http://www.gamesx.com.

Thanks^ But I am practically a staple over there at game station x, so I've read about all these mods. I don't know exactly why, but I have a dilemma with opening my legacy systems up and adding components and capabilities that weren't there before [even if they do improve the system's functionality] I guess I am just a weirdo purist that way! I prefer to keep the console exactly as it was before...I even frown on LED and paint jobs!
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page