S-Video Upscaling for the Dreamcast... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone got a receiver they use to pass through S-Video to HDMI with upscaling? I have been looking at upgrading my Onkyo to one of the units that can provide this functionality using the Faroujda chipset. I was wondering what the quality of it was like with the Dreamcast?

Ted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM

Liked: 93
It will look like s-video. Does your display do VGA? If so, you will get far better quality out of it that way, once you grab a DC VGA box. 480p Dreamcast was quite nice.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2009, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

It will look like s-video. Does your display do VGA? If so, you will get far better quality out of it that way, once you grab a DC VGA box. 480p Dreamcast was quite nice.

I second this opinion. In fact I would go as far as to say that the dreamcast thru VGA looks quite a bit better than either the wii, gamecube or ps2 hooked via component.

In addition, I'd like to add that using an external scaler such as the DCDI found in your receiver will introduce a fair amount of lag over connecting to your HDTV directly with a 480p (VGA) connection.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I already have it over VGA and S-Video - dependent on what the game supports.

It crossed my mind there could be quite a bit of lag but I have never personally seen any consoles upscaled and passed over to HDMI so I am left to opinions/reviews of others...

Ted.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 AM

VGA gives you the better source to start with. Your display will already upscale that to whatever it's internal resolution is. Even if your display does a lazy job of scaling the 640x480p VGA image internally, it will be better than the interlaced 480i image of s-video even passed through the fanciest of scalers, let alone the rather average scalers that you will find in receivers. There really is no making up for the act of throwing away half the visual information to begin with.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

How about using a VGA to HDMI converter, anyone know anything about these?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-PC-Lapt...p-p-17864.html

Ted.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-23-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Rogers View Post

How about using a VGA to HDMI converter, anyone know anything about these?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-PC-Lapt...p-p-17864.html

Ted.

Again, as darklordjames is saying, all you'd really be accomplishing with one of these is converting the connection from VGA to hdmi. VGA (480p) is the best you're going to get from the dreamcast. Do you have a VGA connectionon on your tv? If so then your tv will already do what one of these boxes would-- that is convert the dreamcasts 480p output to match the native resolution of your display.

The only way one of these scalers would benefit you would be if: A, they did a better job at scaling than your tv would (which I seriously doubt at those prices); or B, they did the job with less lag time...
However, most of the lag and artifacts generated when processing an image happen during the de-interlacing stage, which you will avoiding by having the dreamcast output a progressive image (480p) via the VGA connection. In other words: there's not much else your display has to do but scale the image, which any decent make/model will do with aplomb and without introducing much, if any, lag.

Of all my dreamcast games only ONE is incompatible with the VGA box: last blade (of course, that's one of my favorite games on the system ). The rest all work even if they don't have the "supports VGA box" tag on the box.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Woah! I didn't realize that we had little VGA to HDMI boxes now. Maybe I'll have to bring one of my Dreamcast's back out of retirement to hook up to my VGA-less plasma. Playing Seaman again would be pretty awesome.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am currently using VGA but looking at all the options.

The Atlona box is meant to upscale the VGA input to 1080p output resolution - it should be better quality than upscaling from S-Video. It would be interesting to see the quality of the results from converted VGA and to know if the device produces any lag in either the sound or video...

Ted.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Dunno if anyone is still interested in this topic, but I recently purchased that monoprice VGA to HDMI adapter and it had great results...I wrote a short reviewhere.

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page