ISF calibration and video games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to be purchasing a Panasonic TC-P65V10 to replace the 62" Mitsu DLP TV in my home theater as I'm tired of not having 1080p.

I've had my Mitsu professionally ISF calibrated and to this point it's delivered and excellent film quality but my games have seemed to be a bit "muted". Even games with very bright color pallets like Drakes Fortune tended to be a bit dim. I'm beginning to suspect that while ISF calibration defiantly is nessicary for film, in gaming it may actually hurt picture quality.

Has anyone else run into this situation? If so, what have you done about it?

Please comment on my home theater and bedroom theater projects!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post

I'm going to be purchasing a Panasonic TC-P65V10 to replace the 62" Mitsu DLP TV in my home theater as I'm tired of not having 1080p.

I've had my Mitsu professionally ISF calibrated and to this point it's delivered and excellent film quality but my games have seemed to be a bit "muted". Even games with very bright color pallets like Drakes Fortune tended to be a bit dim. I'm beginning to suspect that while ISF calibration defiantly is nessicary for film, in gaming it may actually hurt picture quality.

Has anyone else run into this situation? If so, what have you done about it?

I've run into it. If you're lucky, the game has gamma and/or brightness correction built-in. If not, I use the different modes on my TV...on my Sony, "Normal," "Pro," "Vivid," etc can all be arbitrarily reassigned, so I have one that ups contrast and brightness at the expense of accurate color. I'll switch that next.

If your TV can't store different color modes, you will have to write down the settings and switch back and forth every time you want to play a game, or accept dark and murky games.

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page