720p to 1080p Jaggies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

So, I just purchased a 40" Sony XBR9. What a beautiful television.

Anyway, let's cut to the chase.

Basically, it's a 1080p TV and Halo 3 ODST is a (near) 720p game. The result is upscaling jaggies. Most lines at angles are noticeably jagged and objects at a distance tend to look wiry and pixilated.

Here's my question. Does everyone who has a 1080p TV deal with this issue and just not let it bother them? I am super sensitive to this sort of thing and am trying to reassure myself that it's just the way it goes if you play on a 1080p TV.

Any words of wisdom?

I used to have a smaller 26" 720p Sony set and 720 games looked absolutely amazing. Granted, it was a small TV and I had to sit really close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Halo 3 (probably ODST as well) apparently has a rendered resolution of 1152x640 with no anti-aliasing applied, so obvious "jaggies" along edges are a given when viewing on, and scaling to a bigger screen. So yes, it is something that you'll have to deal with for numerous console games.

Most games that are rendered at a higher resolution with anti-aliasing engaged will look much less offensive in this regard. Being a PC gamer who uses a bigger plasma display, I find 4xMSAA to often be a good sweet-spot with a game rendered at 1920x1080.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply.

Here's another question. Would the game look better on this set KDL-37L5000?

It's a 720p native, so there would be much less scaling taking place.

The only downside is the rest of it's specs are weaker than the XBR9. Gah I just don't know. Geometry wars is 1080p and looks gorgeous on the XBR, but most other games look jaggy.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentEdge View Post

Here's another question. Would the game look better on this set KDL-37L5000?

It's a 720p native, so there would be much less scaling taking place.

There will still be blatantly obvious "jaggies." The simple fact that you moved to a much larger screen is the significant cause of your new problem with these games. The "jaggies" were always there due to a low rendering resolution and a lack of anti-aliasing to compensate. Unless your relative viewing distance has drastically changed, any imperfections in an image will be more obvious to you now that you have a larger image area. The uglier games will look even uglier. As such, I would stick with the current display.

I play console-exclusive games from time-to-time on my 58" display. Yes, the aliasing is much worse than it is with PC games. However, it is something that I've learned to deal with and the games themselves are rewarding enough.
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page