Is this lag what I have...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay the thread title I chose was meant to make a person smile while thinking about a certain pop culture tuna fish consumer...Now on to the good stuff!

I have been chasing an issue recently and have been informed of this wonderful and informative site where I may seek advice from those whom are much smarter than I am.

I started playing video games online about a year ago. I have a PS3 connected via HDMI to a Samsung PN58A650(T1F) plasma tv. The PS3 is set up at 1080p. I have centurytel(centurylink) internet and use a Linksys E3000 router. My PS3 is wired.
In certain games (Call Of Duty specifically) they provide a "kill-cam" that allows me to see who just slaughtered me. I like to watch these kill-cams for a few reasons but what I am concerned with is this...
When I turn a corner and start walking through a door (just an example) and an enemy pops around a corner, I take aim and pop a few shots to his torso, about that time, he has done the same and I die. Then I watch the kill cam and it appears that the enemy actually popped around the corner, threw a grenade, reloaded his weapon, took a 8ms nap, then shot me before I ever pulled up my iron sights to take aim at him. Obviously this is an exaggeration but I hope my point was made.
I have "re-done" my internet/network, I have purchased shorter cords/cables, I have increased my internet speed, I have spent countless hours on the phone with Linksys making sure that my router settings are correct, I have gone through 2 routers, I have messed with any settings on any component that could possibly make this happen and I am lost.
In a recent article in a video game magazine that I read, a professional gamer was talking about his "battle station" and described his gaming setup and spoke of a gaming monitor as being his choice for its "2ms response time". I have never heard of such a thing as a TV/monitor resonse time but I ask....Is my TV causing this "lag" or is it something else?
My internet speed is ~10mb down and 750kb up, with a ping of ~30ms. I was unable to find the "response time" for my tv to use for comparison.
I am not looking for a miracle but if anybody can provide me some direction as to how to fix this "lag" that I observe while playing videogames online it will help me be a better gamer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM

I smiled because I was like "What the heck is he talking about?" lol

Yep, this lag is what you have.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Glad it made someone smile!
Any idea on what is causing the lag? ISP, TV, PS3, etc.?
post #4 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 AM

Liked: 93
On your Samsung, look for a Game Mode setting to turn on. That alone should bring you down in to the 30ms of display lag range.

In addition, COD is all peer-to-peer for it's networking. If others are connecting to the host quicker than you are, they may have an advantage. For example, even though you ping at 30ms to your ISP, if you are connected to a host that is 200ms away from you, and your competitor is 20ms away from him, you have a 10 frame disadvantage, in addition to your 4 frame disadvantage with your display at default settings or 2 frames with Game Mode. At 12 of 60 frames in a second, you would be sitting 1/5th of a second behind this theoretical other player.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the advice. I have previously adjusted the Game Mode setting on my TV and did not notice anything except a contrast/color change (different game, not online, Fallout 3 to be exact). This being said, I took your advice and tried this out and it DID make a difference. I played roughly 8 matches and my average K/D ratio increased from ~1.10 to ~1.5 after making that adjustment AND the kill-cam reflected closer to what I actually saw on my end. So for that, I thank you sir!
As far as the other (peer-peer), I understand what you are saying (for the most part) and I gather from that, there is nothing I can do to improve that on my end. Am I correct in my assessment? If there is anything that I can do on my end to further help my cause, regardless of cost, please feel free to make suggestions! I welcome any and all comments and thank you in advance for them!
post #6 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Ping to the host is purely a distance and quality of ISP issue. As long as the gear inside your house isn't broken, there's not much you can do about that.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty then, thanks for the comments m8!
post #8 of 18 Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

On your Samsung, look for a Game Mode setting to turn on. That alone should bring you down in to the 30ms of display lag range.

In addition, COD is all peer-to-peer for it's networking. If others are connecting to the host quicker than you are, they may have an advantage. For example, even though you ping at 30ms to your ISP, if you are connected to a host that is 200ms away from you, and your competitor is 20ms away from him, you have a 10 frame disadvantage, in addition to your 4 frame disadvantage with your display at default settings or 2 frames with Game Mode. At 12 of 60 frames in a second, you would be sitting 1/5th of a second behind this theoretical other player.

Great post man, that has driven me batty since cod4. (xbx360) Killcam is Imo, almost never spot on with what happenes live. Due to exactly what you stated. It got so bad for me that I would join games, and just take the loss and quit if the bandwidth was inconsistant in the room for at least 30 seconds. lol
find me (google soberparty one word) xblgt soberparty

xblgt: soberparty
post #9 of 18 Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Might also try upgrading to cat 6 cables...but I can definitely relate to the lag issues...another big issue is that neither microsoft or any of the game makers have dealt with the cheating issue properly...lag switches are still being heavily used as well as leveling and radar mods and other such cheats...would make the game a thousand times better if everyone was forced to be on the same plane with none of the handicaps of such cheating...I routinely slam through such cheaters using reality based tactics, but it doesn't make it easy when they're disappearing and reappearing and hitting you from across the map with a glitched shotgun
post #10 of 18 Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM

i was kind of having this problem too, i have a 63 inch plasma tv so i think the resolution was too big or something, so i took my ps3 and plugged it into my 32 inch tv in my downstairs living room and it seemed to work a bit better, but i don't know it helped me a bit
post #11 of 18 Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM

There is no reason for your text to be red, dude. Not only is it annoying, it's even really hard to read on the classic "black" theme for this forum. Do you not want your words to be read? Then keep using red!

In that case though, why bother posting in the first place?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM

"Might also try upgrading to cat 6 cables."

Oh jesus christo! No, no, no, no and no. cp434, please do yourself the favor of ignoring moderninja's advice. There is no difference between Cat5, Cat5e, or Cat6 for internet purposes. Hell, as a world we have just barely left the era where Cat3 would even be a restricting factor.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:

Hi all. I would like to know where is 'game mode' option on Samsung LE32B530 ?
I have this tv 6 months but I didn't find this game mode thing.

Thx
post #14 of 18 Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 AM

I do not own any Samsungs, so I don't know it's exact location. As far as I know, Game has been an option in the Picture settings on all Samsungs since ~2006. It's purpose is to reduce the volume of image processing applied to incoming signals, in turn speeding up time from input to final display.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 AM

It doesn't have in picture options . Is it possible that is the option when i rename the source to game?

However I don't see much differences when I rename it.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Actually it sounds like lag.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"Might also try upgrading to cat 6 cables."

Oh jesus christo! No, no, no, no and no. cp434, please do yourself the favor of ignoring moderninja's advice. There is no difference between Cat5, Cat5e, or Cat6 for internet purposes. Hell, as a world we have just barely left the era where Cat3 would even be a restricting factor.

Oh thank god, I just wired my whole house a few months back (cat5) and about had a heart attack at the idea of re-wiring it.
I would have further researched it before starting the wiring process over, but man I would have hated to do that...Thanks dude!!
post #18 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntu ieu View Post

Hi all. I would like to know where is 'game mode' option on Samsung LE32B530 ?
I have this tv 6 months but I didn't find this game mode thing.

Thx

I have a singe button on my remote called "E-Mode". That is where my "Gaming" mode is.
My buddy also has a Samsung and he could not find it anywhere. I pulled up his unsers manual online, searched the PDF document for "gaming" and found it. Then simply told him how to access it! Happy hunting!
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page