OnLive and Cloud gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought we should have a new thread for OnLive and other Cloud based gaming here in the General Gaming Forum as it really doesn't fit in any of the others.
As many AVS readers are not "hardcore gamers" I have provided the Wiki definition of Cloud gaming: Cloud gaming is a type of online gaming that allows direct streaming of games onto a computer through the use of a thin client, in which the actual game is stored on the game company's server and is streamed directly to computers accessing the server through the client. This allows access to games without the need of a console and largely makes the capability of the user's computer unimportant, as the server is the system that is running the processing needs.

OnLive is a service that provides cloud gaming. you can either use a computer to access it or buy their controller and hardware box to connect to the internet...

I Just got the service and hardware myself so figured it would be a good place to discuss it as some of the existing thread contributors don't feel it fits in the respective forums.

Currently they are about to release a flat rate monthly gaming subscription similar to how you get Netflix or Hulu plus

There are some related threads listed below

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1132484
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=onlive

I thought some folks may find this a good option for gaming instead of buying a console and $60 a pop for games. If you already have OnLive please share your experience and thoughts on it.

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 PM

I have the onlive game console setup in my home theater It is hookup to my onk. rec, with HDMI game port and a Fios internet conn. The quality on my 120 inch screen and epson 1080ub prjector is almost on par with the ps3 games I have no problems with lag time. The only problem is I need to extending the wireless range of the game controller because sometimes it will popup that the gamepad is disconnected and then i have to sit closer to the av closet rick
post #3 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Always good news when a major company invests $40 million in your business. OnLive is the recipient in this case
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/h...games-on-smar/

DJ
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I use it on my laptop via wifi, and have had no issues. the games come in at 720p with good framerates so no probs.....i play borderlands and fear2

i just wish they had more/cheaper selection. they cannot compete with steam's sale prices/selection. it is in its infancy though, and i am willing to wait and see how it evolves.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

I use it on my laptop via wifi, and have had no issues. the games come in at 720p with good framerates so no probs.....i play borderlands and fear2

i just wish they had more/cheaper selection. they cannot compete with steam's sale prices/selection. it is in its infancy though, and i am willing to wait and see how it evolves.

Steam still requires a computer and downloads the app to your computer. Just wanted to clarify the difference, OnLive the whole game is based on their servers... while you can play via computer the key is its not needed and it will plug HDMI directly to a TV or other video display. I hope we see a lot more games on OnLive soon... Certainly don't think its going to disappear any time soon at least.

DJ
post #6 of 6 Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 AM

Onlive has a great deal going on right now for their microconsole. If you preorder homefront for onlive for 49.99 you basically get the microconsole and metro 2033 free. I think it's a really good deal. I don't think they can quite yet compete with the other consoles but i think they are coming along nicely. I really think this is going to be the future of gaming. I have 15mb cable internet and i have no problems using the service. I checked on bandwidth meter and it was pegged at around 6-7mb download while playing nba 2k11 on there. Onlive claims for hd 5mb download would be good. For the best hd gaming though if my meter is right i would say go with at least a 7mb download service from your isp if you can for optimum quality.
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page