Five optical inputs with one opt. output? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a home receiver that has 5 optical inputs and one optical output? I'm hard of hearing so I use a pair of Ax 360 5.1 headphones (Yeah I know they're considered a joke). I have an XBOX, Playstation, Bluray, computer and a HDTV, all having optical outs. So far now, if I wanted to move from one media to another, I have to physically plug my headphones into it. I would certainly like to consentrate all the sound into one unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 AM

Liked: 93
http://www.amazon.com/Control-Audio-.../dp/B003C15798

To make things easy, I'd throw out the Bluray player and just use the PS3 for BD playback. Then, use a 4-way optical switch such as this. It's even remote controlled so you could use it with your Harmony.

That is, unless you really need the additional features of a receiver. Even then, every receiver I have ever owned will only spit out stereo over optical, even if DD/dts is coming in over the optical inputs. Things may have changed at some point, but last I checked, receivers don't normally treat the optical output as simple switching, but instead spit out processed audio.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. A four way optical switch. Pity there isn't a five. I don't have a Harmony yet either, just thinking of programing one gives me doubts. I'll think on gifting the BD to my sister and her husband.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Liked: 93
If you have that many items and you don't have a Harmony, then you are doing yourself a great disservice. Programming them is also just about the easiest thing in the world. Hook it up USB to your PC and let the software interview you. It will be running in 10 minutes.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page