Need help setting up my dream home theatre system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I am looking to build a home theater and gaming room wherein I will watch movies as well as listen to music and play on ps3 and wii. I have no budget (Sky is the limit even something like 7 mil $ would do). But want an efficient configuration that need not look good or stylish but must sound to the maximum quality achievable in the audio speakers industry.

First of all let me tell you that I have a room of about 30x30 feet and will be having around 6 recliner seats. Basically I want to build this home theater for my parents as they are as big enthusiasts as I am. So I have a few questions that I would like to post and please forgive me if this post becomes a little extra long.

First let me tell you what all I will be listening and watching in this home theater.

1) As far as music goes I will be listening to Indian Classical Music (Mostly stringed instruments and lots of vocals with lots of vibratos to put a very long story short)Like Ustad zakir hussain,Pandit Hari prasad chaurasia, Pt ravi shankar to name a few , Western classical (Beethoven, Mozart) , Jazz(Beatles , Kenny g, ) , elvis, Pavarotti, yanni, and many more people like these. An occasional hip hop like Eminem or akon and occasional rock like rasmus but very rarely. And also songs from 1940s Bollywood films.

2) For movies I will be watching films of the drama genre. So crisp dialogues are a must. An occasional action flick. And lots of Bollywood flicks which have lots of songs.

3) For games I will be playing games like GOW, Heavenly Sword, infamous ,etc of that kind i.e. mostly action games. But also games like donkey Kong and super Mario
I am not a fan for loudness so I will not crank the volume much. All I want is crisp and crystal clear sound even at low volume . And I will not be opting for a projector as I like to watch movies with lights on.(Call me eccentric if u may).

So here are my questions

1) Should I go for 7.1ch or should I go higher as the content available is max for 7.1ch?

2) Should I spend less on the subwoofer and concentrate more on the central speaker as I do not want much bass but want to hear crystal clear dialogues from movies.?

3) What are reference speakers and in what manner is it different from floor standing speakers.

4) Should I opt for a complete set of speakers or should I select components one by one if so should I stick with a same company (which ever you suggest of course) or should I go for diff components from diff companies.?

5) Should I opt for cinema speakers instead?

6) Should I go only for THX certified products?

So I would like you to recommend me some products as I am a newbie and it is easy to get lost in a sea of products where everyone claims to be the best. I also would like you to tell me each and every component of a home theater satisfying my above mentioned needs to the finest detail.

Please reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why did no one respond? Wowzers.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymgupte87 View Post

1) Should I go for 7.1ch or should I go higher as the content available is max for 7.1ch?

Depends on your seating within the room but 7.1 should be more than adequate.

Quote:

2) Should I spend less on the subwoofer and concentrate more on the central speaker as I do not want much bass but want to hear crystal clear dialogues from movies.?

Depends on your budget.

Quote:

3) What are reference speakers and in what manner is it different from floor standing speakers.

"Reference" is a marketing term and should be regarded only as a way that manufacturers distinguish their better offerings from their lesser offerings. It is useless as a way to compare between manufacturers. Alternatives to floor standing speakers are stand-mounted, wall-mounted and in-wall. All are purely descriptive terms.

Quote:

4) Should I opt for a complete set of speakers or should I select components one by one if so should I stick with a same company (which ever you suggest of course) or should I go for diff components from diff companies.?

All the speakers, especially the front L,C,R, should be timbre-matched and, therefore, from the same model line of the same manufacturer. Matching of the sides/surrounds is useful but less necessary. Whether buy a preselected set or pick your own is irrelevant.

Quote:

5) Should I opt for cinema speakers instead?

What do you mean by that?

Quote:

6) Should I go only for THX certified products?

Not necessary.

Quote:

So I would like you to recommend me some products as I am a newbie and it is easy to get lost in a sea of products where everyone claims to be the best. I also would like you to tell me each and every component of a home theater satisfying my above mentioned needs to the finest detail.

Too much work. With your unlimited budget, you would be best hiring a certified custom installer who can configure the whole thing for you including the absolutely essential acoustical treatments for your room.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bet anything this guy was a total complete fake.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

I bet anything this guy was a total complete fake.

ya sounds like a boring HT too lol. Grab a bose 123 system and call it a day lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page