after using dreamcast vga projector wont see component over vga - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have an Optoma HD20 projector with a bunch of game systems hooked to it. All was working great till today. I have a ps3 over HDMI and 360 and PS2 hooked up over component through the VGA connector of the projector since this was the cable previously run for the previous projector. Well today my VGA box came in for my dreamcast and i hooked it up to my vga switch and it looked great other than screen position issues. So then i flipped the switch to go to my ps2 and 360 and the projector wont recognize the signal from either of them. Thought i might have damaged something with the cheap vga switch box i use but when i switched back to the dreamcast it synced up and looked fine. Hdmi is not affected. I just could not get the projector to recognize the component signal over vga after connecting the dreamcast. What have i done?

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 PM

Liked: 93
There is usually a setting on the projector to look for RGB or YPrPb over the VGA pin-in. It probably auto-sensed the VGA signal, switched to RGB, and left that as default.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I think you are right. I actually posted this in the HD20 thread also and since did some testing a research. However, it seems there is no setting to tell the projector what to look for on that VGA connector. I looked everywhere. Once it sees a VGA signal, that's it, it won't accept component until after you cycle the power, which on a projector requires a 1 hour cool down period to prolong the life of projector and bulb. I think when I run new wires to the projector (My HDMI is currently hanging and I'm waiting for cooler months to work in the attic), I might include component, and heck maybe even s-video. I'd love to put my laserdisc player up there except RF demods for AC-3 sound cost too much. The laserdiscs sound so much better than DVD's, but I'm getting off topic.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

post #4 of 5 Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Liked: 93
You can look at tossing a VGA to HDMI or component transcoder in the mix, to maintain clean Dreamcast 480p, but making it more compatible with your projector.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thought about that, but the dreamcast is such an occaisional use item, it's just not worth it. And adding connections and devices in the signal path always degrades the signal. Running component for the xbox and ps2 and leaving the vga for the dreamcast or any other vga devices is the best option, and the cheapest. I'm just not going into that attic in the summer!

Shahram

Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page