Connection issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had extreme 20 mbps connection and a few weeks ago the ps3 became to laggy to play and as of today still cant download shangri la without errors, I thought maybe I should upgrade to broadband 50mbps to fix the issue but it still is the same, I called playstation troubleshot everything with them, even deleted all my ps3 friends and reset the machine back to factory defaults, so I said screw ps3 and bought black ops for my 360 it let me download shangri la but lags like hell. The cable guy was here today and put all new connections in other than the line down(I am in an apartment) I have hooked the ethernet cable direct to the modem, everything is on a cable and all my cables hvae been checked aswell, The speedtest on shaw.ca says im getting like 28mbps 2.3-5 upload mbps, the ps3 on test connection says 7.0 1-2 upload, searched speedtest in its browser it says 1.73 download mbps 2.33 upload mbps. The connection when its running seems fine but every few minutes there is a lag spike that I notice on the computers aswell, I have tried everything I can think of, I called Sasktel and am gonna switch to the phone company maybe all new **** will help and its a dedicated line of 25mbps. The cable guy said his computer tech got him to download a bunch of stuff from a bunch of sites on his laptop from a dos looking screen and he said i was getting 50mbps all the way. Is there a 10 or 15min speedtest i could find? Why would my connection all the sudden start to suck? the girlfriends ex is a computer programmer is there any way he could mess with my connection without the cable company finding it lol? is there a way to make my ps3 use more bandwidth? So in revision this is everything i tried in somewhat of an order.

1.Reset Modem.
2. unplug everything let it sit plug back in x10
3.went from using wired router to wireless router
4.plugged ethernet cable directly into device
5.went back to wired router.
6.call ps3 do corruption tests and reset network settings get told wait a few days try download again
7. went and got a 50mbps connection speed with new modem wifi combo SMC
8.Hooked cable directly into modem bypassing splitters9.
9.Cable technician troubleshot everything and put new connections downstairs and in apartment, verified connection speeds.
10. I also tried disable media servers, and format disk.
11.tried new psn user account. missing more steps but please help i want cable over phone line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Liked: 93
Hooking the PS3/360 directly to the modem removes a bunch of possible problems real quick. Since both devices are acting funny, it isn't the consoles. Swap out the cable from the console to the modem, hook up to the modem directly, and swap out the cable from the modem to the wall. If it's still broken, then the net suspect is the modem. Call up your cable company and ask them to force a firmware update to the modem across the network. Also, grab a fan and point it at the modem. It's summer. Maybe it's overheating. Still broken? Swap out the modem. Still broken? Call up the cable company one last time and tell them to fix their side of the problem. Still broken?

Buy DSL.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I got a new modem when i went and got broadband 50 it came with the package, I also tried setting up the ip address's manully in router settings, I bought a new cat 6 ethernet cable aswell. The phone company is coming tuesday and I guess I will have to switch cable must be faulty in the wall, or an underground bore hit an unlocated line or something.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

I would however like to know if there is any program or directions to fiund out how much bandwidth and for how long ive been getting shafted paying premium rates for not premium service, that should be illegal, I would really like them to reimburse me but how do I prove it? The cable guy was just really accepting my information and basically said if its the line that runs down nothing they can do.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page