Adding older consoles to dedicated theater with a switch, will there be lag? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys,

So I'm building a dedicated home theater, using panasonic AE4000U projector & Onkyo NR609 Receiver. I'm planning to have a separate hidden rack next to the front row with all gaming consoles in it: NES, SNES, SEGA, N64, PS2, wii, etc. It's not meant for a media room but having that option available will make the room that much more awesome.

4 or 5 of those systems use composite cables and I was thinking of setting up a switch to use up only 1 slot on the receiver for gaming. I'm already afraid of potential lag going from receiver to projector with these older systems (Onkyo upscales it as well before hitting the PJ). Will switches add any additional lag to that?

I'm trying to think of the best way to set this up, the simplest way with the shortest lag possible. I don't want hit A for mario to jump and he leaps 1sec later, it makes the games unplayable.

Any advice is good advice before I continue to burn through my pockets.

Thanks! (Not sure if this should be in a different forum or not).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The only consoles you listed that is restricted to composite cables without modifications is the toaster NES (The top loader was RF only) and likely whatever you play Genesis games on. For cables that are easy to find that you can expect a television to support and without needing to do any hardware modifications (So no fancy SCART or RGB options or things like s-video mods), you have options beyond composite video for most consoles since 1990 just by buying a $10 cable.

The original Super Nintendo supports s-video (The redesign from the late 90's eliminated s-video support, but you likely own the original), the Nintendo 64 supported s-video, the Wii supports component video, the Playstation 2 supports component video, etc.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by switches. Do you mean something like a system selector/AV selector? They don't process the image so they don't introduce any lag.

My advice is use the best cable possible for each system. And if you have any RF consoles, investigate the various video modifications out there (My Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and XEGS are s-video modded, for instance). I own virtually every viable console that was released in North America besides a Neo Geo, and the only consoles I own that still use RF are my Intellivision, my Emerson Arcadia 2001, and my Odyssey². And just my Sega Master System, my Sega Genesis/CD/32, Turbografx-16, Colecovision (I actually play it on a Coleco ADAM computer that had native composite output, regular Colecovisions were RF only), and NES are hooked up by composite cables.

Everything else is hooked up by s-video (Most other systems), component (PS2, Xbox, and Wii), VGA (In the case of the Dreamcast), or HDMI (360 and PS3). And of course the Vectrex has its own built in vector display.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Leo.

N64/SNES have s-video out but my receiver doesn't have the inputs. It has 4 or 5 RCA, 2 Component & 6 HDMI. My wii & PS2 would take up the components, do you think it'd be worth it try to find an s-video to hdmi adapter over just using RCA for the others? I'm not sure what kind of improvement that would make if any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

Thanks Leo.

N64/SNES have s-video out but my receiver doesn't have the inputs. It has 4 or 5 RCA, 2 Component & 6 HDMI. My wii & PS2 would take up the components, do you think it'd be worth it try to find an s-video to hdmi adapter over just using RCA for the others? I'm not sure what kind of improvement that would make if any.

If the unit doesn't have s-video inputs, I would just use the composite inputs then. I don't think a s-video to hdmi converter would be worth the price.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-21-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

Thanks Leo.

Doesn't seem worth the trouble then. Although you could always buy something with s-video inputs and component out, I suppose. I believe my combination DVD/VHS recorder/player allows me to output things hooked up via s-video through the component outputs.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page