Showcase Arcade Cabinet - 42" or 50" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I am converting a Capcom X-men vs Street Fighter showcase cabinet to a PlayStation 3/PC based unit. I am looking at either Panasonic 42" or 50" plasma units. It is 4' feet from behind the control panel to the TV. I think the 42" would be better suited; however, Panasonic only makes a 720p in the 42", while the 50" comes in 1080p. Do you think the 50" would be too big at that distance? I am leaning toward the 50"

Here is the machine before I cut the top and removed the CRT monitor.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Why must you stick with panasonic?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Why must you stick with panasonic?

I am not stuck on any brand. I have just read good reviews on the lack of IR and great input speeds for gaming. I would love to use my Mitsubishi DLP but it is too big at 60
post #4 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1) coolest project ever.

2) I think 4 feet from a 50" screen would make for some badass, intense, totally sweet gaming.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Actually the 42" Panny should do 1080p, since it uses the same circuitry as the 50".
post #6 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Liked: 93
Best thread in this sub-forum in ages. Good job!

We started at 6' with our old 50". I spent most of my playing time in Fallout 3 in a chair in front of the couch, at about 4.5'. It's close, but not unbearable. You could also look at 42-46" LCDs to get 1080p at a smaller size. Anything from Panasonic or Samsung, LCD or plasma should give you around 30ms of lag these days. Perfectly acceptable. Both motion blur about the same as well. LCD just blurs on the change from one frame to the next, while plasma motion blurs due to phospur decay time. Both are reduced in perception when fed a consistent 60fps source.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to roll with the 50" 1080p Panasonic. I went to several stores today and stood very close to some monitors. I think it can be managed; and, if not, I will have a new plasma in the bedroom. If I go with the 42, I will always looks at it and wonder....hmmmm I bet I could have gone with the 50.

I ordered my PC/PS3 Cthulhu boards today (they convert the microswitch arcade controls to USB for the PC and PS3). I also ordered all new IL controllers and the extra buttons since I need 8 per joystick and also the select button. I am redoing the entire control panel. I am going to mount a single 4-way joystick and two buttons centered and above the two 8-way sticks. This way I can play the older classics better since they were designed with 2/4 way sticks. Nothing worse than hitting a diagonal input when playing Ms Pacman....lol

As I progress, I will post more pictures. I have hacked the cabinet down, and I have a woodworking/cabinet maker coming over this week to level things out and make some adjustments. I have also been pouring over Craigslist buying fighter games for the PS3. I am fortunate to have one of the original 60gb PS3's that play all the PS1 and PS2 games. This will be a lot of fun when I get it finished.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 AM

Liked: 32
csnow, go to recycledrecords.com, which is here in Springfield, IL. They have a lot of older games, along with also get game systems through their store. There is also Monster Pawn here in Springfield, also has a website at monsterpawn.com Both should have game discs.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-03-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

csnow, go to recycledrecords.com, which is here in Springfield, IL. They have a lot of older games, along with also get game systems through their store. There is also Monster Pawn here in Springfield, also has a website at monsterpawn.com Both should have game discs.

I will check them out, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page