Is this desktop computer pretty powerful graphically? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well. I think you're trying to disagree where no disagreement exists. "a large amount of ram can be a huge boost" That certainly includes skyrim, as I said.

As for the price per gigabyte argument I can only speak for myself and say price per gigabyte for ssds does not concern me. I currently run with 3x256gb drives in raid0 and that's plenty for as many games/applications as I'd care to have.

I run 6gb of ram largely because when I built this pc the fastest processor (gulftown) had a relatively weak imc and generally couldn't hit high clocks (~5ghz+) while pushing >6gb of ram.

I will be upgrading for haswell or possibly waiting until broadwell but either way I doubt I'll grab more than 16gb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 AM

Liked: 10
It looks fine to me although I'm not sure if it can run all the new games on high settings. But I think you will be able to play most of the games on low/medium.
post #33 of 39 Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Interesting read in this thread but for me , with 8 gigs of ram will adding another 8 and all this pre-fetching give me a FPS boost?

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #34 of 39 Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 93
FPS boost? Not normally. Just in the cases of when the thing you want to render doesn't fit in to 8gb of ram, but is pre-loaded in 16gb. Then the judder of reading in new assts from the HDD is reduced. Ram doesn't render anything, it's a storage space.

You will load games quicker, and the desktop will feel smoother when you come out of the game as a bunch of crap isn't being read back in from swap. Games that you regularly play will start to load a whole lot quicker as Windows learns what you like. 16gb gives you a better moment to moment experience, not higher frame rates.
post #35 of 39 Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

FPS boost? Not normally. Just in the cases of when the thing you want to render doesn't fit in to 8gb of ram, but is pre-loaded in 16gb. Then the judder of reading in new assts from the HDD is reduced. Ram doesn't render anything, it's a storage space.

You will load games quicker, and the desktop will feel smoother when you come out of the game as a bunch of crap isn't being read back in from swap. Games that you regularly play will start to load a whole lot quicker as Windows learns what you like. 16gb gives you a better moment to moment experience, not higher frame rates.

I didn't think it would. Load times don't bother me like they do others. I have a SSD already and a 1TB drive attached for my racing sims and replays. Well I'll stick with the 8 gigs I have now. I do my day-to-day stuff, like reading and replying to this , on my iMac. My PC is strictly for playing games. I wouldn't dare do anything else on it. Infact, whenever possible, if there's content I need to purchase for a game I'll buy it on the iMac first and then use the key/code/link whatever, on the PC after the transaction is complete.

post #36 of 39 Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Can anybody tell me why the above poster wouldn't dare do anything else on his gaming PC?
post #37 of 39 Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Can anybody tell me why the above poster wouldn't dare do anything else on his gaming PC?

Probably because he wants to maintain absolutely the best performance, and not introduce any variables that could screw things up on a clean install. Every now and then you get some software that doesnt play nicely with other software, and it can be a PITA to track it all down when something goes wrong. Most software never fully uninstalls, and over time lots of digital cruft can build up. It could also be the gradual degradation of SSD performance as it fills and begins to overwrite itself, but they go from crazy fast to slightly less than crazy fast, so not really a big deal either.

Honestly its not nearly as big of a deal as it used to be, many years ago you used to have to reinstall windows every few months because simply using it normally would cause it to gradually degrade in performance. Not really an issue anymore IMO. Being afraid to download something directly onto the gaming PC is taking it pretty far.

It's kind of like how when you get a new car, you do everything you possibly can to avoid that first scratch....once its happens, it just ain't the same anymore.
mphfrom77 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #38 of 39 Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
you could also use that 8gb of ram to set up a Ram Disk which is faster than even an SSD.

If I had that kind of space I wouldnt run anythign too taxing on it though myself. I would probably put my rainmeter on it and f.lux since 8gb really is not a ton of space.

Edit:

Here is where you can buy software to do this:

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk/

Here is another link that has alot of info

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227803/how-to-set-up-and-utilize-ram-disks

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #39 of 39 Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Probably because he wants to maintain absolutely the best performance, and not introduce any variables that could screw things up on a clean install. Every now and then you get some software that doesnt play nicely with other software, and it can be a PITA to track it all down when something goes wrong. Most software never fully uninstalls, and over time lots of digital cruft can build up. It could also be the gradual degradation of SSD performance as it fills and begins to overwrite itself, but they go from crazy fast to slightly less than crazy fast, so not really a big deal either.

Honestly its not nearly as big of a deal as it used to be, many years ago you used to have to reinstall windows every few months because simply using it normally would cause it to gradually degrade in performance. Not really an issue anymore IMO. Being afraid to download something directly onto the gaming PC is taking it pretty far.

It's kind of like how when you get a new car, you do everything you possibly can to avoid that first scratch....once its happens, it just ain't the same anymore.

Well that has some to do with it but mostly I trust OS X more than I do Windows when it comes to personal information. That's just me though.

Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page