Certain PS2 games don't scale correctly on my LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 42" Philips LCD TV and my PS2 connected to it via component cables.

For most of my PS2 games, my TV does a good enough job de-interlacing the 480i input and then scaling it to fit the screen as best it can while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. PS2 games that support 480p look even better, and they all scale without artifacting as well.

But two games in my library look simply awful when playing them on this TV: SSX and Final Fantasy XII.

It's as if they are being output at an unorthodox resolution and my TV is struggling to scale them correctly. Both of them suffer from horrendous input lag (much worse than any of my other PS2 games), and they are riddled with scaling and combing artifacts all over the place. I have a 80GB PS3, and it's built-in scaler outputs FFXII without any distortion (I have it set to Upscaler On - Normal). My PS3 cannot play SSX, however, so my PS2 is the only option.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I tried plugging my PS2 into an external video processor as well, and the same problems occurred with SSX and FFXII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 93
XII was standard 480i with a 16:9 anamorphic option. The frame rate was a bit jumpy though if I recall and wouldn't be too surprised if that is tripping up your scaler resulting in combing. XII was also more detailed than the resolution used could physically display, with the result that it's aliasing was really quite bad.

Play it on your PS3. smile.gif
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

XII was standard 480i with a 16:9 anamorphic option. The frame rate was a bit jumpy though if I recall and wouldn't be too surprised if that is tripping up your scaler resulting in combing. XII was also more detailed than the resolution used could physically display, with the result that it's aliasing was really quite bad.
Play it on your PS3. smile.gif

The thing is, my TV and the video processor that I tried out both gave me scaling artifacts. I'm not just talking about aliasing here. I mean even menu text and other such static elements look distorted. Like there are invisible, vertical scanlines running through everything.

But yeah, I can always just play FFXII on my PS3. It's a shame that I have no viable way to play SSX on my LCD TV, though. My partially-BC PS3 won't run it properly, and my TV adds artifacts and lag when I run it on my PS2.