Help with 5.1 receiver and surround sound questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im new here and new to home theatre / surround sound. I am looking to get a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound receiver to use with my Xbox ,ps3 ,movies music and tv. I plan to get a 3d tv in the near future so need that capability as well.

I am looking to get something for around $300 but I prefer to spend closer to $200. I have speakers already unless it's a great deal with speaks I can't pass up. I don't care if it is the newest tech as long as it suits my needs.

My first question is with the Xbox ,ps3 and movies will it preform like the gaming headsets? For example : if a guy is walking up behind me from the right will I hear that isolated to that speaker? Basically will it give me a true surround sound simulation for directional recognition?

Also what would you recommend for a receiver for me to get that will have all of the capabilities I want in my price range?

Is the denon 1612 good for what I am trying to achieve? If not what should I be looking for as far as features?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Liked: 32
$200 to $300 is not going to get you much. If that is just your budget for a AV receiver, there are plenty of good basic level AV receivers that can be had for $300 before taxes.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I can do $300 before tax. The reason I'm not looking to spend a lot is because it is a small livingroom in an apartment even 100 watts a channel is too much. What would you recommend? Also can anyone answer my other questions?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Something like the Denon 1612 or 1613. Speakers are going to be the biggest deal breaker. You could get something like the Pioneer floor standing that have been mentioned on here, or spend more on some bookshelfs and get a separate sub.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. How is the onkyo hts 3400?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM

A whole slew of reviews on here. http://www.avsforum.com/search.php?search=onkyo+ht-s3400 Basic setup, but will get you started on the road to a better setup.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 AM

Hi guys I m also new here and would appreciate your advice. I have bought an old set of Lg 5.1 surround speakers. These speakers would normally come with a home theater in a box system ( model Lg Lh-D6530 ). I am wondering what options i have if I want to use these speakers. What would you recommend I buy?. I m looking for the cheapest option that will allow me to start using them.
Reply General Gaming Help