60 FPS games work on all TV's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to figure this out for a while and looking for someone that really knows TV refreshrates/framerates ect. But in short; Can all TV's display a 60FPS game signal? I've seen games that say they run at 60fps, but I've always assumed a 60hz TV was incapable of displaying that in true 60fps. I've seen that 120hz displays simulate a 60fps image that hz = 1/2fps.

Is there any merit to that? Thank you for helping! Ive been wondering about this for a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Every NTSC TV that we've ever seen as consumers will play back a 60fps game just fine. This includes old 480i CRTs. Europe capped at 50hz for a long while, but 60hz is also common over there now too.

In example, take Rage on the Xbox 360. It's a native 720p game, and runs at almost a perfect 60fps. 720p is a progressive format (hence the P), that runs at 60hz. This means you get a full frame every 1/60th of a second, or 60fps. For example sake, let's set our 360 to spit out 480i. 480i is still a 60hz signal, but it only updates half the image every 1/60th of a second. The result is that at any moment in time, half of two individual Rage frames is being displayed on screen. Our human visual subsystem is pretty sloppy, so this looks a lot better than it sounds like it should and still results in a full 60fps display.

Stepping up to 120fps on 120hz displays? Only if the TV specifically says that it accepts a 120hz signal, which is still exceptionally rare. A 120hz TV LCD for example still maxes out as a 60fps display when it comes to gaming.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page