AVS Forum banner

Anyone here got an Elgato Game Capture HD?

24K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  KTMDirtFace 
#1 ·
Hey y'all I just got one for my ps3 and am trying to run it through my HT, but am getting periodic black screens for a couple seconds at a time. It uses a component cable to hook up to the ps3 and what I've done is....ps3 component to Elgato, HDMI out to AVR, AVR HDMI out to TV. Is my problem trying to run 1080p with component? When it goes black screen I can still see the game play on my laptop. Thx in advance....

#2 ·
I've been getting this too. I'm using the ps3 connector cable, to the elgato (which I need to change, because that cable doesn't play well with my sony headset). My video drops for a second or 2, randomly during gameplay. I actually suspect that it may be my HDMI cable, because I have a 13ft cable running to my TV.

I've seen a very similar issue, when I was running a cheap 25ft hdmi to my xbox 360, but it was even worse. It couldn't maintain sync with the TV, and I would get a signal for about 10 seconds, then it would drop for a few, then come back. Eventually, I lowered it to 720p, then the xbox and TV played nice. Later on, I replaced the cable for a better version, and now the xbox runs at 1080p, without an issue.

First thoguh, for you, the elgato only supports 1080i, so you may need to set it down to 1080i? If not, try temporarily setting it to 720p, and see if that improves your situation. If so, then you probably have a cable situation, especially if running a long cable like I am (so I can't hide my equipment).

I JUST got my elgato last night, so I haven't had time to experiment yet. I'd love to hear if you find a solution, and you might save me some debug time too

#3 ·
Here's an expansion on my story....I know it's not the HDMI cable as I'm using one from Monoprice. I talked to an Elgato tech the other day on the phone and this was what he told me. He said with the newer software (version 1.2) there is a secret advanced settings tab that you get to by holding the "ctrl" key down when you enter tools. It should bring you to a part with timing sliders for HDMI and component. You will then need to adjust this delay to fit your needs. He said there is no right answer just gonna have to play with it to find the right spot. It is stated to run 1080p and the tech also told me it does when I asked him after I first suspected it was the ps3 cable not being able to pass it through, which he told me it does.

Now I have not tried this yet as I think I'm going to just ship it back. I thought the editing software was more advanced then it was. Like being able to add music and commentary after to a finished product, which it can not. For all the time and effort needed to make a video I think I would rather just spend playing. Hope this helps and please tell me your results it may change my mind. Good luck

#4 ·
Thanks for the update. I'll look into those settings and let you know what I find. I'm glad to hear they built in a feature that may allow adjusting.

As for the 1080p, everything I saw shows setting it up for 1080i, but that's using the PS3 connection cable. I need to get the component cable later (so it records audio, when using my PS3 headset), so hopefully that will allow me to get to 1080p. The game I'm playing (BF3), plays at 720p, so I wasn't 100% it was the cable. Just taking a stab in the dark.

I received my Elgato for free, after winning a contest (from someone who had issues with the software running slow on his PC). So this is no big lose to me if it doesn't work out
I do wish I could run directly through the HDMI in/out though, rather than using other video adapters for the input.

#5 ·
When I had it setup I have 1080p as an option in the drop down menu. I would is your computer HD, and maybe not able to handle that resolution? I'm not sure about the sound because as I said I only tried for about 10mins and was having the blackout issues so I unhooked it. Oh btw I play Black Ops 2...

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notman  /t/1449315/anyone-here-got-an-elgato-game-capture-hd#post_22806557

Thanks for the update. I'll look into those settings and let you know what I find. I'm glad to hear they built in a feature that may allow adjusting.

As for the 1080p, everything I saw shows setting it up for 1080i, but that's using the PS3 connection cable. I need to get the component cable later (so it records audio, when using my PS3 headset), so hopefully that will allow me to get to 1080p. The game I'm playing (BF3), plays at 720p, so I wasn't 100% it was the cable. Just taking a stab in the dark.

I received my Elgato for free, after winning a contest (from someone who had issues with the software running slow on his PC). So this is no big lose to me if it doesn't work out
I do wish I could run directly through the HDMI in/out though, rather than using other video adapters for the input.

Any luck?

#7 ·
Well, this weekend, I was able to play with the 'compatibility' settings, that you referenced (holding ctrl). Although the numbers make no sense, because they don't represent any actual settings (just HDMI Compatibility and Component Compatibility), there was a considerable improvement, after playing with the sliders. I still had the occasional drop though, especially when there is a drastic action/visual change on the screen. I was using Max Payne 3 to test it, so I could pause it when the screen dropped, and eventually, I thought I had a good setting. Then there came an action scene, and suddenly it dropped. Eventually, I gave Battlefield 3 a try again, and it was dropping out every time a lot of action began (which of course was when I needed it most).

Anyway, my next step is to take these new settings, and use the supplied HDMI to connect to the TV. That means I have to move my PS3 close to my TV, which was more than I had time for on Saturday. If you want to give it a try, I suggest playing with the sliders. You can leave the box up, and adjust the slider (no need to hit OK after every setting change). It apparently makes the changes live. For me, the screen would blank for a moment, after every adjustment I made, then I would give it a few seconds, then continue playing. Lowering the HDMI numbers seemed to improve my signal. I basically found what the lowest number was, before it would really flake out, then did the same on the high side, then went to the middle of those 2 numbers. I believe 6 or 7 was my final number for HDMI.

#9 ·
With me only playing Black Ops online there really isn't any moments when there is no action. I was hoping to make some compitition vids, as well as some edited montages. I have not tried and I think I am just going to send it back. After trying the first time I noticed it messed with my 3D settings for playback with my PS3. I wish you the best of luck...

#10 ·
Just an update for others, I've been in ongoing communications with their customer support. They've had me RMA my original device to them, and the replacement was actually WORSE when I initially connected it. I couldn't even view the PS3 menu screen, without it blanking out every 10-20 seconds. I played with the compatibility settings again, and I was able to stabilize it to where my original device was (blanking out and random intervals, but 10 - 20 MINUTES instead of seconds).

So, one thing that was disappointing me was, I kept telling them, it seemed to be triggered by the activity on screen. The issue is always with the output, no the feed into the elgato (always smooth feed on my laptop). I kept asking, "Do you think it's not getting enough current?", and they would never answer me. I don't know if they were just blowing me off, or they didn't know, but never an answer, so I decided to make a USB adapter, much like what higher current devices use (tablets and external drives). Basically, I wired a second USB male connector in parallel to the cable (only the power), so I could draw current from 2 sources. It seems to have stabilized my device.

I can play for hours, with maybe a slight blip. I still get moments, where it just gets pissy, and still drops out a couple times during a match, but otherwise, very usable. I still had to tweak my compatibility, after attaching the cable, and maybe a few more tweaks would resolve the 'pissy' moments, but I'm going to stick with the settings I have now.

Anyway, I wrote them back, and told them my results. Again, nothing responding to my findings. They 'passed the info to the engineers', then a few days later, asked me to RMA it again. I ask them WTF for, and apparently they made a hardware change they want me to try, so they are actually sending me the device, and having me send mine back when it arrives.

So, the saga continues, but their customer service seems to be working to resolve the real issue still. Hopefully they can come up with something that doesn't required a custom cable, but for now, if anyone has an elgato, and they have a spare USB cable (and know what you're doing), maybe try the cable like I did. I'd love to hear if it works for someone else, or if it's just coincidental that it seemed to (almost) fix my issue.

#11 ·
I just got one too and having all sorts of issues getting mine to work too..but I have a diffrent problem.

My setup is mini itx living room gaming PC with GTX 680. Connected to Sony AV receiver via HDMI with 7.1 surround sound. Connected to a plasma TV

I'm trying to record PC footage from the same PC with the EL Gato.

I tried this setup

PC->ElGato->Sony AV->TV

When I do this my TV screen is black until windows 8 fully boots up.

I also loose ALL PC sound, because the sound manager in windows no longer see's the Sony AV system as the default device ( it sees the el gato instead, I can sort of get Stereo sound to work but it freaks out sometimes )

I also tried this setup which seems better as it would allow me to switch my Sony AV over to my XBOX and theoretically record that too.

PC->Sony AV ( HDMI ) -> ElGato -> TV

This works better I never see a blank screen I can switch my Sony receiver to DirectTV and the pass-through works, same with xbox...seems to even work when my PC is off and the USB to elgato has no power.

Problem is I cannot get it to record any sound. ever. I tried enabling the Stereo Mixing, and checked the Listen box. Still wont record sound...Tried setting the stereo mixing dropdown to my SonyAV receiver.. all the youtube videos say to pick ElGato, but I cannot because windows no longer see's it as it see's my stereo av system instead.

#13 ·
Can you hear the audio in the elgato software? If not, then the audio may not be reaching the elgato. I'm not familiar with your A/V unit, so I don't know if there is a configuration for HDMI audio out. I would recommend connecting the HDMI from your XBox directly to your elgato, and see if you get audio. If so, then the A/V receiver isn't passing audio down the HDMI.

#15 ·
Cant figure out how to edit my post.

No I cannot hear sound from the elgato software.

When I plug the elgato from my PC to the input of my stereo ( instead of where it is in the diagram )

I loose all sound...I can "test" sound in windows on the elgato device and it plays in stereo....does the elgato throw out all the surround sound? I don't want to loose my surround.

I think this is my A/V Unit http://store.sony.com/p/STR-DN1000/en/p/STRDN1000

#16 ·
Thanks Notman!

I sort of have it working now. Indeed my HDMI Settings in my A/V unit was set to AMP audio only. I changed it to AMP+TV now it all works with one major flaw... my A/V is stuck in Stereo mode... it no longer auto detects surround sound...not sure whats up with that...Hopefully i can figure that out. Looking at the sony manual looks like im screwed. If the TV doesnt have surround the amp wont play surround..wtf.

#17 ·
Update: Oops, cross post.... good to hear it's working better. Maybe put the elgato coming out of the receiver now (if you aren't already). That is kinda screwed up, if it won't let the receiver use surround if the next chained device doesn't support stereo.

My cross post(ignore it now
):

I mentioned the xbox just for debugging atm. The xbox should have a consistent audio out, as opposed to the PC, which may require setting audio preferences depending on what you want to output to.

I don't know if the elgato disables surround. Mine outputs to my TV, which doesn't have true surround speakers.

I say start off simple. Don't use the A/V right now, and just make sure you can use your elgato with just the PC and the TV. If it doesn't work, than you should leave it that way until you figure out the correct settings.

If it does work with this configuration, than the A/V between is causing the issue, and you'll need to figure out how to configure your A/V receiver correctly, to play nice. I don't know if your receiver has an option enable/disable audio out to the hdmi. I haven't had an A/V reciever with HDMI inputs/outputs, but I'm assuming they would have an option like that, so the TV audio won't be heard when using your receiver is providing the audio.

I think I'm a bit confused by what you're saying though. You said there is no sound in the elgato software, then you said it wasn't playing in stereo with the widows test sounds. I may not complete understand what you currently have working, and don't have working.

#18 ·

Quote:
I think I'm a bit confused by what you're saying though. You said there is no sound in the elgato software, then you said it wasn't playing in stereo with the widows test sounds. I may not complete understand what you currently have working, and don't have working.

On this.. here is a better explanation hopefully.

When Connected Normally with no elgato

PC->A/V->TV

Windows sound manager playback devices are listed as

Sony A/V ( Nvidia HDMI ) *Selected as default *

RealTek Optical

RealTek HDMI

Some speakers ( not plugged in analog deals )

I get full surround in this case.

Now if I plug the ElGato in between the PC and A/V unit

PC->ElGato->A/V->TV

Windows sound manager playback devices are listed as

ElGato

RealTek Optical

RealTek HDMI

Some speakers ( not plugged in analog deals )

So basically I no longer have my Sony A/V unit recognized...windows must see the elGato and not the SonySystem. I can select ElGato as default but it will only play stereo.

Perhaps I can fix it with an HDMI splitter

PC->HDMISPLIT

Split1->ElGato->No output who cares...

Split2->SonyA/V->TV

This is the reason I tried the configuration as posted in the diagram above as it would make recording xbox and pc easy without switching cables all the time..( which would be the ideal config for me if I could get the surround to work )

#19 ·
Maybe try using your RealTek HDMI as the output device? I'm not surprised it doesn't give you the receiver as an option, because it just registers the first HDMI device it sees. That information doesn't get passed through other devices.

Anyway, the other option, is to set it up like you did before: PC>A/V>Elgato>TV

Now that you know how to turn the audio on (out of the receiver), you should get audio to the elgato with that configuration. That should allow the receiver to see surround output from the PC.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notman  /t/1449315/anyone-here-got-an-elgato-game-capture-hd#post_23028530

Maybe try using your RealTek HDMI as the output device? I'm not surprised it doesn't give you the receiver as an option, because it just registers the first HDMI device it sees. That information doesn't get passed through other devices.

Anyway, the other option, is to set it up like you did before: PC>A/V>Elgato>TV

Now that you know how to turn the audio on (out of the receiver), you should get audio to the elgato with that configuration. That should allow the receiver to see surround output from the PC.

Tried RealTek, i think its just a controller..for the motherboard. It wouldn't actually play sound when it was defaulted.

Yea, I may just turn my receiver audio on when I want to record something but I'm stuck with stereo only which sucks...will work for now.

#21 ·
Did a bunch of research tonight.

Found this out.

ElGato Game Capture

Hauppage PVR 2

Both do not support 5.1, or 7.1 or anything.. they only support 2.1 stereo.

So Im screwed.

I was able to on a diffrent computer/stereo setup get my setup to Play in full surround sound via Optical...and stereo mix the HDMI audio for recording on a seperate channel. So I can at least play games in full surround but the recording is limited to 2.1 stereo.

My living room home theater setup is screwed with both of these devices...they will not allow anything but stereo sound.

LAME!

Any other products out there without this limitation?

Apparenlty the OLD Hauppage PVR can do dolby digital..but its all component video..bleh.

#22 ·
I finally got my Living room gaming pc setup with the ElGato recording.

It required.. turning HDMI Audio output ON in my Sony A/V settings.

From Sony A/V unit

It goes HDMI output to this Unit
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=9164

This is needed to Downmix the HDMI audio to 2.1 .. without this my stereo will NOT play surround sound.

From the audio converter it goes HDMI Splitter.

Split 1 : TV

Split 2: ElGato, Elgato output goes no where.

Without the splitter I can't watch XBOX movies do to copy protection.

All in all it was a rediculus waste of money but it works.

Hopefully someone makes a PVR that records Surround sound and all these issues would go away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.