Curious about your thoughts on gaming sites you visit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey gang! It's been a while! I'm glad to see some familiar faces around here and hope that you all are doing well, both old and new.

As some of you know, I run a website called Gamer Horizon. It's a site that I've been toying around with for the past couple of years as a hobby, but lately I've decided that I want to pursue it and make it into a business. I've even got a business consultant (my ex-gf. Eek!) to help me out.

At any rate, I’m trying to figure out what you guys really want and need in a gaming news and reviews site so I can raise the standards of what’s already out there and do something really amazing. If y'all can take some time to just answer three questions for me in the link below, it would really help me out. I won’t even need your names or email addresses. My only focus is to provide content at a better level that serves gamers like you and me.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5WQXNTF

Thanks again and keep on gaming biggrin.gif

(Mods, if this is not kosher, please close and delete this thread. Move if needed. TY!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
" I've even got a business consultant (my ex-gf. Eek!) to help me out."

Were the first words out of her mouth "You will never make money on this"? By no means is that meant as a put-down, just trying to help set appropriate expectations. smile.gif The market is flooded with tiny, good quality games journalism with great histories that are endlessly broke. Then you've got the mega-conglomerates putting out exceptionally poor journalism, and even they barely scrape by, constantly under threat of closure or sale by their old-media owner.

If you're doing this for the love of it with no expectation of an income off of it, then more power to you. If you are doing this as a business with intent to make money, then you need to throw your journalistic integrity out the window right now in order to have any hopes of success. In that case, I hope you don't go any further. We have enough ridiculously poor quality journalism in this industry as it is.

To answer your survey: Look to No High Scores, Penny Arcade Report, Kyle Orland over at Ars, Colony Of Gamers, and RPS for who you should finding inspiration from. Look at Evil Avatar, Kotaku, IGN, and Gamespot to see what is wrong with this industry. Focus on creating original content. Do not stick a score at the end of your reviews. You have no chance of success covering console games, so don't. Instead, skate to where the puck is going by reviewing and reporting on mobile games and indie titles likely to show up in a Humble Bundle. Read the http://gamejournos.com archive to see where you can go terribly, terribly wrong.
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page