Sega Saturn SCART RGB Component conversion color problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recently purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO to connect a Sega Saturn via component. Image looks good but I can't get orange to look orange. I've adjusted the POTs in the converter and the closest I can get to orange is red orange. Pink is also more of a magenta but orange really isn't orange. Other colors look correct as far as I can tell.

The setup:

Japan NTSC Sega Saturn
Saturn RGB SCART cable
SCART converter box
component cables (from amazon)
Sony 27" WEGA CRT NTSC

I have an adapter that allows me to output composite from the Saturn SCART cable. When I connect this way, orange looks very orange, so I know that the Saturn as well as the RGB cable are putting out a proper orange color in the signal. So that means that the converter box may not be putting out the proper colors. Or I'm seeing what I'm supposed to see.

Since I don't know much about RGB, my question is this: does RBG output a differnt color palette than what I see through composite or S-video etc.? Or should I be seeing a solid orange color through RGB just as I would with composite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Japan and Europe both use the same SCART connector for RGB, but they are not completely pin compatible. It is possible that you are using a cable/device that is designed with EU SCART in mind with a Saturn that needs Japan RGB 21 connector. It has been years since I've looked at the wiring but perhaps that drives your issue.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the suggestion, but I replaced the converter with a new one and everything looks great so it was simply a defective converter. Problem solved. Thread can be closed.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page