Wii U image overly bright when connected through Denon AVR-1913 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Sony 55HX750 TV and Denon AVR-1913 receiver. I've noticed that when I use my Wii U, the TV's backlight doesn't dim as it should for darker content, making the image brighter than it should be.

After some messing around, I found that it only happens when the Wii U is connected through the receiver. When connected directly to the TV, it doesn't have this problem. A good example of the problem is the loading screen for Duck Tales Remastered. It simply shows Uncle Scrooge running in the bottom right corner of the display. When this happens, the backlight stays at full power when it should be dimming.

I've disabled all the video processing options on the receiver, but nothing helped.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss to find a solution here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked: 10
Does the AVR-1913 have the latest firmware?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the firmware on the receiver is the most recent.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Had a couple calls with Denon support today. Neither rep I spoke with solved the issue (but they were extremely helpful and truly wanted to fix the issue), but I did track down something interesting and came to a workaround I'm okay with for now. Here's steps I found to actually get a proper image on the Wii U:

1 - Turn on the Wii U and ensure its image is displayed on the TV
2 - Open the setup on the Denon receiver and go to Video->Output Settings
3 - Make sure Video Conversion is 'On' and change 'Video Mode' to 'game'
4 - Exit out of the setup menu and the Wii U image will be displayed correctly

Problem solved, right? Nope. If you switch to a different input and then back to the Wii U, the image will be wrong again. The setup menu will still have all the correct settings. If you change 'Video Mode' to another setting and then back to 'Game' the image will be correct once again.

I told this to the last rep I spoke with and he suggested to perform what he called a 'reverse handshake', buy disconnecting all HDMI cables and power off devices for 10 - 15 minutes. I did that, but it didn't help.

I discovered that if I configure the Wii U to output 1080i, instead of 1080P, I'd get the correct image ~90% of the time when switching inputs. I don't have any more time to spend on the phone with support today, so I'll probably call back either tomorrow or Monday. I agree this is likely a handshake issue, where the TV is (for whatever reason) being told it's getting a different RGB depth than expected.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:00 PM

Reset the network card and check for firmware update once more. NIC reset is same as MP reset but instead press and hold zone2 source and dimmer buttons. Re-check for firmware.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearsar View Post

Reset the network card and check for firmware update once more. NIC reset is same as MP reset but instead press and hold zone2 source and dimmer buttons. Re-check for firmware.

What should the latest firmware be? I have version 1490-1169-000-4080-3987

EDIT:

I did the reset and it still didn't find a newer firmware. The reset also reset more than just networking. All settings were brought to defaults.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:40 PM

The latest version I am not sure of. But after resetting the NIC and rechecking we can be sure that it is indeed the latest. Yes it does reset everything to default as well. This is not a bad thing at this point since you in still not in stable system configuration. I found a few features in reference to your tv I think are worth looking into. Mainly the 2 in blue. I would recommend leaving the Denon in default settings at this point as well. (I know you had no issues by passing the Denon however, in tandem with the avr these could have a different effect.)

Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:

Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Detail Enhancer: Enhances the details of the picture.
Edge Enhancer: Enhances the edges of the picture.
Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
Pro Picture Setup: The Pro Picture Setup menu allows for Color Matrix and HDMI adjustments.

Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The latest version I am not sure of. But after resetting the NIC and rechecking we can be sure that it is indeed the latest. Yes it does reset everything to default as well. This is not a bad thing at this point since you in still not in stable system configuration. I found a few features in reference to your tv I think are worth looking into. Mainly the 2 in blue. I would recommend leaving the Denon in default settings at this point as well. (I know you had no issues by passing the Denon however, in tandem with the avr these could have a different effect.)

None of those options do anything to fix this problem.

I found that I actually don't even have to change the 'Video Mode' option on the receiver to get a proper picture. I can just cycle back and forth between inputs on the receiver (with the Wii U still on) and it will usually result in a proper image.

There's definitely a handshake problem on the receiver side, but I'm wondering if certain TVs are more prone to show the issue. I'm not sure how to proceed with this, as I'm certain that sending my unit for service won't come up with anything. This is likely an issue your engineering team would need to investigate, but I don't think there's much more useful info I could provide. Is there any way to dump debug information from the receiver?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Do you have another tv/monitor to test?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you have another tv/monitor to test?

I was able to test today with a Sony XBR HX950 and had the same problem.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 AM

If the Wii U is the only source having this problem running through the AVR. You might need to run the Wii U directly to the tv and use the ARC protocol to send the audio back to the AVR. Apparently this is an issue with the Wii U even with out running through an AVR in many cases.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If the Wii U is the only source having this problem running through the AVR. You might need to run the Wii U directly to the tv and use the ARC protocol to send the audio back to the AVR. Apparently this is an issue with the Wii U even with out running through an AVR in many cases.

Where did you find evidence that this also happens when the Wii U is connected directly to a TV?

I can confirm that this problem also occurs on the Denon 2313CI, but does not occur on a Onkyo NR727. There is something the Denon isn't doing right when getting video from this device. Connecting directly to the TV is not a solution. If this problem can't/won't be investigated further by Denon's engineering team, I'll simply sell this receiver and replace it with another brand.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the same issue with the Wii U's brightness. Apparently, the Wii U doesn't have a larger color space like the PS3. I just turn down the TV brightness when I use the Wii U.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega3dmm View Post

I have the same issue with the Wii U's brightness. Apparently, the Wii U doesn't have a larger color space like the PS3. I just turn down the TV brightness when I use the Wii U.

That would be caused by your display only supporting full RGB, while you're feeding it a limited RGB signal with the Wii U. That's not the same issue that I'm having, as my display fully supports both limited and full RGB.

In my case, it's as if the receiver is telling the TV it's a full RGB signal, forcing the TV to full RGB mode while the signal is only limited RGB. The result is blown out blacks, which wash out the image.

Tags
Denon Avr 1913 Receiver