HDMI Cables? Getting conflicting advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to buy a new Sony HDTV soon to replace my aging Bravia, which I'll give to my parents. smile.gif My old TV uses VGA for PC input, the new ones uses HDMI so I need to find a cable for it so I can use my gaming rig with it.

I've looked around and thought I'd give Geeksquad a chance and ask them what HDMI cable I should use on a 1080p TV for a video card, and they asked what card. I told them its the OC'ed GTX 770 4GB model by Gigabyte, and they told me the rocketfish cables are good for the money and I should be happy with that. I looked at them and they wanted $60 for a single cable! What!?

I looked around more online and everyone is saying one of two different things. HDMI cables are all the same because the signal is digital and none of them have loss, and HDMI cables are not the same and have different amounts of loss depending on the quality of the cable. I'm just looking for a definitive answer. I don't know what to get now. I'm starting to think the second opinion is right because I just tried a free HDMI cable from Comcast with my DVR box and the picture was horrible. I went back to my old component cables and the picture is far clearer, while the HDMI picture was pixelated and blocky.

My current TV has a standard VGA port for computers, but it creates a buzzing noise over the TV speakers no matter what computer is plugged into it. I tried that free HDMI cable with my new computer and hooked it up to my old Sony in one of the standard non-pc inputs, and again it looked terrible. Edges and outlines were all exaggerated and pixels seemed to be larger and run into each other... and that was just with the desktop background. I unhooked it and junked the cable. If all HDMI cables really are the same, I do not want. That can't be right. I can't believe a 10 year old VGA cable has better picture quality than a modern HDMI cable.

I really want to buy something locally so I don't have to jump through any hoops or pay for shipping if I need to return it. If I can't, I'll understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 214
You can waste all the money you want but I guarantee that you wouldn't be able to tell in a proper test between the cable you threw away and that $60 cable you're eyeing. The only quality advantage where HDMI cables are concerned are superior construction that can better endure the stress if they're going to be regularly hooked and unhooked.

They either pass the digital signal through or not. There's no in-between like with a analog signal (And even there, the advantages of the more expensive offerings are usually in the buyer's head as test after test have shown).

Whatever issue you have, it's not with the cable you threw away. It has something to do with your tv, computer. receiver if you're utilizing one, etc. Possibly a technical issue but more than likely you just weren't using the ideal settings to receive the optimum picture.

Everything equal, this $60 cable will result in the same picture quality if it wasn't in your imagination. If that happens, I suggest fiddling around with settings like the resolution you're sending to the tv and such.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well... I've had the TV for about 6 years. Could that be the problem? Maybe the hdmi connections are just aged and not up to current quality standards?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Try an inexpensive HDMI cable maybe Amazon basic Monoprice no more than $10.00 for a 2 m cord other than that check tour video card resolution and color profile settings on the TV output I'm assuming screen 2 then go from there , actually check your settings first see what shakes out then think about a cable.
OTOH your new set will talk to your video card and it might auto detect your tv and set it for you.
I have an ATI card and it got close except for a minor scaling and gamma adjustment.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

It was the noise reduction!!! I didn't even think to touch that setting until I had messed with everything else and had nothing else to fiddle with. I thought if anything it would help with the problem, not make it worse since noise seems to be the problem! Turning that off seems to have mostly fixed the problem.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 606
You also might want to go into your nVidia control panel and change the Digital Color format from RGB to YCbCr444 - that often looks better on TVs.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
The difference from between a ~$10.00 Amazon basics or similar Monoprice etc. cable and a $500.00 whatever brand cable same is $490.00 !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Hold on... What is your run length? That should be the first question answered from what I understand.