Need some advice with old game consoles. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, like the title says, i need some help. I have my NES, SNES, 64, and Gamecube all hooked up to S-video via a S-video switch. Now i want to hook all that up to my HDTV but it doesnt have a S-video port. I was looking at this converter thing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLUN7FI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23KLL9LIE4L22&coliid=IA28UTVTBLDZ3 It up-converts to 1080p so thats nice but its also a little expensive. So im wondering if there is a S-video to Component or HDMI cable i could buy thats reasonably cheap and good quality. Or whatever else you guys suggest!

Thanks! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I think that's pretty much the going rate for something like that. A lot of people (including me) would recommend checking out what Monoprice has to offer, as they offer good products at competitive prices.

Look familiar?: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=9994&seq=1&format=2

Same unit & price. All in all, $50 for what you're looking to do seems pretty reasonable.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
post #3 of 3 Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6789 View Post

Hello, like the title says, i need some help. I have my NES, SNES, 64, and Gamecube all hooked up to S-video via a S-video switch. Now i want to hook all that up to my HDTV but it doesnt have a S-video port. I was looking at this converter thing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLUN7FI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23KLL9LIE4L22&coliid=IA28UTVTBLDZ3 It up-converts to 1080p so thats nice but its also a little expensive. So im wondering if there is a S-video to Component or HDMI cable i could buy thats reasonably cheap and good quality. Or whatever else you guys suggest!

Thanks! 

Unless that cheap Sabrent unit is superior to the $150 GefenTV Composite/SVideo to HDMI converter I have-- its not going to be up to snuff as far as input lag is concerned.  The GefenTV does a pretty decent job with the video quality, but it adds just enough input lag to be noticable on fast games such as Mega Man 2 or Ninja Gaiden on the NES.  I highly doubt that Sabrent unit is better than the GefenTV in that respect.  That said, at $50, it may be worth a shot and you may not notice the lag or it may by some miracle have less lag.

The best route, and the one I have taken, is to get RGB SCART output up and running on all these units,except the Gamecube.  I currently have RGB SCART working for SNES (works as is), Genesis (works as is), SNES 2 (minor wiring mod), N64 (moderate wiring mod), and Dreamcast (works as is).  I am using one of those RGB SCART to component converter boxes from Ebay ($50), and it performs wonderfully on my Samsung PN51F4500 plasma.  No lag whatsoever, incredible color and clarity, light years ahead of trying to convert S-Video to HDMI.

Once you get the systems RGB enabled, you can also get a Framemeister, but at $400, its a bit silly to do so if the RGB SCART to component converter works with your set as the results are so incredible.  The Framemeister supports S-Video in, though, and supposedly does a bang up job as far as lag and quality, so if you dont want to or cant do the RGB thing, it will be your next best bet.

For the Gamecube, you need to purchase a set of the component cables ( I know, they are expensive ), or just find a cheap used Wii and get a quality set of component cables for it ( much cheaper ).  I actually have the official Nintendo component cable for my GC, as I purchased it directly from Nintendo in 2002, but I can tell you from experience the Wii with quality set of component cables such as the ones from Rocketfish looks identical to the GC with the official cables.  Trust me, progressive scan is the way to go with the GC.  If you do go the Wii route, make sure to get either the official Nintendo cable or the Rocketfish cable, as the cheap knockoffs can add some video noise/crosstalk (this is analog component, not digital HDMI), as I have learned from experience.

I just got my NESRGB kit in today from VileTim in Austrailia, it looks to be my most ambitious project yet as far as installation goes, but if I manage to get it in without frying my NES it will be well worth it!  If you have any questions let me know. 

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page