gaming TV help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi so I am buying a new TV for my Xbox one going to get a sixty in went to best buy they told me Samsung led 3d smart TV I think 7000 series for 1899 its 240 hz with clear motion 720 or something but then after some looking I have read that the 5000 series 120 240 clear motion will be just fine so I guess my question is what is the best TV to get for gaming is led right or plasma I really don't care about 3d or smart TVs I will say 1900 is the top of my price range any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 PM

I assume when you ask what's best for gaming, you mean what has the least input lag.

Response time reported by refresh rates is very misleading. It refers to the pixel response time, not the time it takes for a signal to go from input -> screen. This is the difference between input lag and response time.

Plasmas have a good reputation of low input lag, but it's not an absolute rule.

What slows TV's down is the amount of processing they do on the image. Any random plasma could be doing slower processing than any random LED/LCD.

One of the absolute fastest televisions with respect to response time is the Sony W802A. It's the fastest screen that isn't a computer monitor on this database at 17ms. And you can typically find it for about $1500 for the 55" version

Here's an article from Cnet that discusses input lag a little bit more. They give heavy praise to the Sony W802A.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57587317-221/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/

I have it personally since I play a lot of rhythm games and it's fabulous. I hooked up Stepmania to it from my laptop with a cobalt flux metal dance pad and got a AAA score on a Heavy song right off the bat with no global offset settings changed.

Short version: Looking for a high "Hz" isn't a good way to find a fast TV. It's a very misleading number, especially when it's adding in extra frames through software rather than a "native" refresh rate (the Samsung is most likely doing this). Even if it were native you really need to reference a database like the one I linked above that has done "input lag" or "display lag" testing to see how much the video processing they're doing is slowing down the display.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 AM

Getting around to finding a low lag HD set is difficult and many retailers are quick to mislead thinking display lag has everything to do with the panel's refresh rate. My suggestion is to go by what reviewers with the correct hardware to test with have to tell you as some are now making it a standard practice to use the Leo Bodnar as a dedicated testing device.

I can suggest one such site right here.
http://www.displaylag.com/

Also I heard something about CNET having obtained the Leo Bodnar tester as well, so you could check around their review sections to find what you need. Remember 1 frame is 16.67 milliseconds and that or under 2 frames is ideal.

The whole LED / Plasma debate is going to be more up to preference. Plasmas have nice color, viewing angles, but static images still run risk for burn in and if anyone keeps telling you otherwise, just mention you're using it for PC, they'll change their tone in a heartbeat. smile.gif
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page