Totally confused about 5.1 gaming thru my receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2014, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi :)

So I recently bought myself a receiver and some nice speakers in an attempt to finally experience 5.1 surround sound and I've achieved that - but only for movies and Netflix - gaming is a problem - I only get 2 channel stereo from the digital optical output on my motherboard...

Having done a little research I understand that this is 'normal'.  The 5.1 channel audio is only output on the analogue connections on my motherboard not the digital optical output as the channels aren't being encoded.

I also understand what I need is to either encode the stream real-time into DDL or DTS if using digital optical or to use HDMI to pass the audio to my receiver.  This presents it's own set of problems however - my main monitor (X-Star  DP2710LED) only has a DVI input and is not easily chained to my receiver due to the physical distances involved.

Basically I'm looking for some advice from people who have surmounted this kind of issue already.  I have the following kit at my disposal and I'm not really sure what I ought to be using in order to get the best sonic experience:

Cards I have

Sound blaster 5.1

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

Asus Xonar U7

Motherboard

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H

GPU

Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz

Receiver

Yamaha RX-V375

Currently I'm not running any of the sound cards - I have connected the motherboard's digital optical out to my receiver but only get 5.1 playing movies or Netflix.  The driver for the on-board audio has no DDL or DTS encoding options.

ALL of the ports on my video card are in use as I run 3 monitors.  My main monitor (the X-Star) is using the topmost DVI port with the other two connected via HDMI and DP. I do however have another HDMI port on the motherboard itself.  Should I perhaps run my audio off this without passing the video on to a monitor?

I'm trying to learn about this stuff but it's confusing - I totally expected to be able to plug and play (literally) but not so due to licensing restriction bs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

After doing a load more research this afternoon I think my best solution for getting 5.1 audio in games through to my Yamaha RX-V375 receiver is probably to use HDMI. 

My main monitor is DVI only however so I'd need to somehow split the HDMI output into DVI for the video and HDMI for the audio.  I'm thinking I could use this

http://images.esellerpro.com/2485/I/104/6/images_user_src_CDLHD-000.jpg

to split the signal, passing one HDMI output to the receiver and the other, using a HDMI to DVI converter, to my monitor.  Are there any gotchas that I haven't thought of with this approach though?

post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcola View Post

After doing a load more research this afternoon I think my best solution for getting 5.1 audio in games through to my Yamaha RX-V375 receiver is probably to use HDMI. 

My main monitor is DVI only however so I'd need to somehow split the HDMI output into DVI for the video and HDMI for the audio.  I'm thinking I could use this

http://images.esellerpro.com/2485/I/104/6/images_user_src_CDLHD-000.jpg

to split the signal, passing one HDMI output to the receiver and the other, using a HDMI to DVI converter, to my monitor.  Are there any gotchas that I haven't thought of with this approach though?

Alternatively you could simply get a HDMI to DVI adapter cable and connect that from the HDMI out of the receiver to the DVI input of the display. DVI and HDMI are compatible so simpe adapter cable will do the job.

That is of course if you're not using the receiver's HDMI out for something else.

Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page