Off topic PC Windows 8.1 Tech Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm having an issue on my Desktop PC running Windows 8.1 that is not allowing all of my programs to show up when I go to uninstall programs from the Control Panel. I should have anywhere from 45-60 programs but it's only showing 12. I've attached a picture to show exactly what I'm seeing.

I've never had this issue before and not sure what's causing it. I've also noticed that I have a new icon showing up in the taskbar called "Search Protect" I have no idea if this is at all related to my issue but something definitely isn't right. Of the 12 programs it shows listed in my installed programs, one of them is Microsoft Office and the other 11 are Microsoft Visual. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Looks like a filter is on to only show MS programs.
I'm not sure how to resolve on my mobile.I can check when I get to a desktop later today.

Anyway I'd ditch the awful windows uninstaller high recommend a 3rd party app specifically http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
Its does a much better job of getting rid of of all the residual junk left behind.
Also creates a backup and a restore point.
The paid for Pro version is worth the investment.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

Looks like a filter is on to only show MS programs.
I'm not sure how to resolve on my mobile.I can check when I get to a desktop later today.

Anyway I'd ditch the awful windows uninstaller high recommend a 3rd party app specifically http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
Its does a much better job of getting rid of of all the residual junk left behind.
Also creates a backup and a restore point.
The paid for Pro version is worth the investment.

Thanks!!! I'll give this program a try. If you could check on that when you get a chance I would really appreciate it. Thanks

post #4 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I installed the recommended program and it still only shows the Microsoft installs and nothing else. I'm starting to worry even more now that I have some kind of virus...... Hopefully this is fixable without a complete restore on my PC. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

post #5 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Don't worry we'll get this sorted.
Sounds like a registry issue.
I look at it more closely tomorrow and post some ideas on what to do.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Couple suggestions

1. First thing is try restoring to a previous system state/date ideally before Search Protect was installed and you noticed the missing programs.
Follow this: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery pick a previous date before Search Protect was installed you noticed this missing programs.

BTW: Search Protect can get installed from a number of other application. Utorrent is usually the culprit. The install program box is checked by default and if you don't unchecked it installs.
It should get removed with restoring to a previous date/state.

After you can see the programs in add/remove you can use the app I recommended Revo or if you want an even deeper removal use http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html

Report back n your findings.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't worry we'll get this sorted.
Sounds like a registry issue.
I look at it more closely tomorrow and post some ideas on what to do.

You're awesome! I can always count on my fellow AVSers :-)

I chatted with Microsoft Tech Support yesterday and they seemed to think its a registry error caused by a virus/malware. But, they wanted $100 to try and fix the problem. I posted on the Microsoft Community Forums and had someone from Microsoft give recommendations on different things to try. Here's a link to the post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/currently-installed-programs-not-showing-up/8639bce1-c58e-41d1-977c-3997dbc1d6f1

Thanks again for your help!

post #8 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Couple questions/suggestions
1. Do you have any other user accounts on this PC? If not create one by going to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage User Accounts
Log out as your current user and log back in with the new user. Are all the programs visible in add/remove?
2. You can also try booting in safe mode and see if the programs are visible, this may also fix the registry associations-i think this might be the issue.
Follow the steps here to boot into safe mode. Check to see if the programs are visible or not. Then reboot the PC into normal mode and see if they are back in add/remove.
http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Report back on your findings.

This should answer most of your questions. Here's a post I had on the Microsoft Forums.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/currently-installed-programs-not-showing-up/8639bce1-c58e-41d1-977c-3997dbc1d6f1

post #9 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

I updated my post with the 1st thing you should try.

Couple suggestions

1. First thing is try restoring to a previous system state/date ideally before Search Protect was installed and you noticed the missing programs.
Follow this: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery pick a previous date before Search Protect was installed you noticed this missing programs.

BTW: Search Protect can get installed from a number of other application. Utorrent is usually the culprit. The install program box is checked by default and if you don't unchecked it installs.

After you can see the programs in add/remove you can use the app I recommended Revo or if you want an even deeper removal use http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html

Update: The MS link sounds like its on the right track. Try the system restore point 1st.
JewDaddy likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Couple suggestions

Update: The MS link sounds like its on the right track. Try the system restore point 1st.

I'll try that and let you know what I find out. Thanks!

post #11 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Couple suggestions

Well, the restore option was a bust. The farthest I can go back is 4/26 and it was happening before that. If it only went back another week I could do it. I guess I'll try the other program you recommended to uninstall Search Protect but I did uninstall it normally by going under Program Files and choosing the uninstaller from the folder. It's looking more and more like I'll need to restore my PC.

post #12 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I tried the IOBit uninstaller program you recommended and it actually showed all 66 programs I currently have installed. Still not showing up under Control Panel though. I've attached a screenshot of the AVG Tune UP results. I'm not sure if this program may have caused issues with my registry but I didn't notice the problem until after that was installed as well as Search Protect. Anymore suggestions? Should I try uninstalling AVG Tune Up?

post #13 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Can you uninstall search protect from the IOBit?
If so follow this guide http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/
Let me know how this goes.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you uninstall search protect from the IOBit?
If so follow this guide http://malwaretips.com/blogs/conduit-search-removal/
Let me know how this goes.

Search Protect has already been uninstalled so IOBit did not find it. I just went directly into the Program Files Folder on my C Drive and ran the uninstaller from there and it seems to be gone now.

post #15 of 19 Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Can you now see your programs in add/remove?
post #16 of 19 Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nope :-(

post #17 of 19 Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't see you having run a scan yet (one contact is in, so everything is sharp and blurry). Malwarebytes and Spybot should catch whatever you're looking for. Make sure you update the definitions first. Malware tends to bring friends to the party. If you find even 1 piece of malware, then you scan, restart and repeat until it comes up clean. Most of my removals take 2-3 cycles.

I doubt you have a rootkit installed, but it only takes a few minutes to scan with TDSSkiller.exe from Kaspersky.
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses...on/5350#block1

Otherwise, if you have all the install media for your programs, throw your Win8 disk in and refresh it (charms bar, settings, change pc settings, update and recovery, recovery). The top option there will wipe your programs, but not your documents, I believe.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In addition to malwarebytes, I can recommend a bunch of other very good removal tools: Adwcleaner, TDSSKiller, Ccleaner, Revo Uninstaller, IObit uninstaller. Manual removal is good sometimes. (http://soft2secure.com/knowledgebase...rotect-conduit)
post #19 of 19 Old 08-03-2014, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I will find here almost all the answers to my questions coque iphone 5c

Last edited by Sunlyday; 08-07-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page