Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys....

So, I'm getting ready to set up my new theater and gaming space over the summer.

I have a lot of consoles, many that I don't use that often. Is there a power strip, or individual plug item where I can flip a switch and isolate them from being on standby and pulling power?

I know the newer consoles especially are power hogs, and while I do use them often, it's not often enough to justify keeping them on standby all the time.

Is there any device out there that will accomplish what I want, or should I just resign to manually unplugging them all the time?

Thanks!
Charlie

loving my completed home theater. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have 16 consoles hooked up to one tv and just use a few different power centers / power bars to accomplish what you want to do. One is a monster unit, the other is an apc h15, then I have one more generic power bar with 8 outlets. Check out my site at http://classicgamescanada.com to see a video of my setup.

It's kind of a pain to have to turn 3 power switches on every time, but it definitely saves electricity. It certainly beats pulling plugs.
DaverJ likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a similar issue, the stupidly fragile Epson 8500UB. It is so fragile that Epson, in their manual says to not let power run to it when in standby!

Anyway, this little guy did the trick and saved my sanity: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $10, I got a nice switch that I just pressed when I needed power cut off.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a similar issue with the stupidly fragile Epson 8500UB. It is so fragile that Epson, in their manual says not to run power to it when not in use.

This little guy was cheap and saved a bit of sanity: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The new consoles have major functionality by being able to run in standby. If you're really that desperate to save power, just turn it off instead of putting it into standby.

Also, you guys need to stop being so OCD about something so minor. PS4 uses 5.5W in standby. That's $8.67/year if you pay $0.18/kWh. But what do you get for that money? Quick boot-up speeds, always updated files, saved states, etc.

Would you really rather wait longer to power up, then wait more to download that new 1.5GB patch, install it, and THEN finally be able to play just to save a few dollars a year?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I had read several articles a few months back about what power hogs the systems are. I've got a lot of equipment in my setup and was just examining my options as to the most efficient way of doing things.

I've already got a several items (work backup server, htpc, etc) that have to be always on, and it can add up.

You make a good point on the patches, though.
Reply General Gaming Help
Gear in this thread - 8500UB. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page