• 2 Post By Raptor007

post #1 of 8 Old 06-14-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question Looking for Dual USB 3.0 Wall Plate

Not sure where to post this question...

I'm looking for a single gang wall plate that has qty 2 USB 3.0 ports in it (female on both ends so I can connect device to wall with standard male-male cable, and fish male-male cable through wall). I prefer NOT to use Keystone style, but would like something like this one from DataPro--

or a dual USB version of this HDMI piece that Monoprice sells--

It absolutely MUST be capable of USB 3.0 speeds... the DataPro one isn't clear on that, and I haven't received a response from them on my request for more info. I'm looking for options on where to buy such an animal. Anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
post #4 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmaniac View Post
Thanks very much for the pointer. Unfortunately, per the manufacturer, those are USB 2.0 (or, at least not rated/capable of 3.0 speeds).
post #5 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post
Thanks very much for the pointer. Unfortunately, per the manufacturer, those are USB 2.0 (or, at least not rated/capable of 3.0 speeds).
Oops sorry I didn't see that part.
I found one at Monoprice but most peoples reviews said it actually didn't transmit at 3.0 .
Good luck in your search.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 145
anyone tried Titanfall on a surfacepro 3?

it looked functional with a X1 controller attached. Only $30,on sale right now.

real world impressions????

thanks
post #7 of 8 Old 07-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you click "Add to Cart" on the DataPro one, it actually takes you to a second step to select connectors, and you can pick USB 3.0 from there:
http://www.datapro.net/cgi-bin/plate_designer?pn=70202W

What you probably want is "USB 3.0 PM-A to PM-B" so you can use standard A-B cables on each side, or "USB 3.0 Panelmount A Cable" for an extension. There's no A-A female coupler for USB 3.0 because the USB 3.0 spec calls for A-A connections to be crossover, which isn't what most people want or expect it to do. (Manufacturers did make USB 2.0 straight-through A-A cables and couplers, but they were never technically in the spec.)
turls and labboypro like this.

Samsung BD-UP5000 (1.3), Samsung 4671 (1013.1), Denon AVR-3808CI, HTD Level 3 5.1
Denon AVR-3300, Denon PMA-700V, Advent Loudspeakers
post #8 of 8 Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
If you click "Add to Cart" on the DataPro one, it actually takes you to a second step to select connectors, and you can pick USB 3.0 from there:
http://www.datapro.net/cgi-bin/plate_designer?pn=70202W

What you probably want is "USB 3.0 PM-A to PM-B" so you can use standard A-B cables on each side, or "USB 3.0 Panelmount A Cable" for an extension. There's no A-A female coupler for USB 3.0 because the USB 3.0 spec calls for A-A connections to be crossover, which isn't what most people want or expect it to do. (Manufacturers did make USB 2.0 straight-through A-A cables and couplers, but they were never technically in the spec.)
Thanks for the info on the second page at DataPro. Since the info wasn't on the first page, it never dawned on me to start putting one in my cart (since, why would I put it in my cart if I didn't have the info I need). While expensive, I might ought to have gone with their part. Instead, I went ahead and did a Keystone type plate from Monoprice, which uses an A-A (F-F) Keystone, allowing me to use A-A or A-B cables as needed (I need A at start and B at end, so I went with A-A to the plate, then A-B from the plate). However... I'm still having issues. The devices on the other end won't BOTH work (PnP only detects the FIRST one booted). I have switched and swapped cables at all points, which tells me it's a chipset problem (either on the computer side or the device side). Neither manufacturer (Dell for the computer and ioSafe on the device side) have provide even the least bit of assistance... I wasn't expecting much from the big oafish iceberg Dell, but am sorely disappointed in ioSafe's sharp diversion from it's self-trumpeted customer service "excellence." My next step in this ever-expanding "simple" problem was to pick up a USB 3.0 powered hub to insert at the wall plate to ensure I wasn't running into distance issues. As I often do, I just grabbed 'any old' hub from Amazon... which is DOA-- 1/4 ports don't work at all, and the other 3 ports won't negotiate at 3.0 in ANY scenario on any computer. Brand is Sabrent, and it is advertised as a "USB 3.0 certified" device. I went round and round with their customer service, which REPEATEDLY asked me "where and when did you buy it?" in response to my INITIAL email telling them WHERE AND WHEN I bought it, the problems I described above, and asking for technical support with the product. They asked me _4_ different times ONLY the when/where question, to which I replied with the info AND mentioned that if they scrolled down a few inches in the email, they'd see the information already provided. After 4 times, I've heard nothing else from them. Remind me to scratch Sabrent off my list... their company slogan is "Connecting Differently." I'd say they hit that one on the head.

/rant off
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page