AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FAQ: Game Configuration Changes to get Native Resolution (1280x720 for me)

67K views 187 replies 70 participants last post by  Dougofthenorth 
#1 ·
If you can add to the list of games using a particular engine or know another game or engine that allows setting native resolution, either post a follow-up to this e-mail or PM me and I will try to put together a list.

Thanks,

B

==========

Quake III Engine

Jedi Knight,

Star Trek, Elite Forces

Return to Wolfenstein

baseq3\\q3config.cfg

seta r_customheight "720"

seta r_customwidth "1280"

seta r_fullscreen "1"

seta r_mode "6"

Unreal Engine (Does it work?)

See less See more
#155 ·
Depends on what game, what cfg file. ;)

In some cases, the built-in menus are hardcoded or otherwise don't accept weird screen sizes. So you can pre-set in preferences/config file, and it may run with it.

In some cases, yes, it'll show it as the current resolution. Of course, once you switch resolutions, your custom one will disappear.

Lastly, in some cases, the game is completely hardcoded to only accept a handful of resolutions, and won't accept even forced values in cfg.

Depends on the game.. ;)

-d

#159 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GKMad
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault Demo.

It's widescreen if you edit the config file and put in a custom resolution - note there are several areas to make res changes. I only did it to the gameplay part and it worked and looks 16:9 with the correct aspect ratio.
Just as a note, the full version of the game supports widescreen resolutions.

Anyone have a tip for changing Star Wars Battlefront?

#160 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Just as a note, the full version of the game supports widescreen resolutions.

Anyone have a tip for changing Star Wars Battlefront?
I've tried everything I can think of, but it's still a no-go. Hell, they're on their third patch and still haven't implemented yet. The other LucasArts games were easy to configure.

#162 ·
Anyone figgured out Need for Speed Underground 2? Does the hack from the first one work for the new one as well?

Gotta play this on my tv :D

Edit, I tried the old patcher, says it can only patch speed.exe so i rename d the exe to speed.exe and it says that it will not work, need a new patcher.

Help :D

#164 ·
1280x720 is a natively supported res for Half Life 2. I have it up on my projector and it looks great. You just have to select widescreen in the options/video screen to have the widescreen resolution appear for selection.

#166 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by powerstroke
I could'nt get Halflife 2 to startup when hooked up to my Viewsonic N2700w, (No video signal detected), until I hooked up my standard CRT and then went into the game options and changed to 16.9 1280x720, then hooked back up to the Viewsonic. The game looks beautiful!
I ran into the same problem when trying to connect it to my sammy DLP, and had to do the exact same thing. It came up with some really weird resolutions, but it finally let me set it to 1280x720 and then it started up just fine.

#167 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
Hitman 2 is a no-go I guess? From the same company and the same basic .ini as Freedom Fighters (which will do 1280x720), but if I change the .ini on Hitman 2 it chokes and won't start asking me to change color depth or resolution.
for hitman 2 change your desktop to the desired resoultion anf then edit the .ini file and set windowed (or is it window) from 0 to 1

example
Quote:
Resolution 1280x720

DisableHWTnL 0

Window 1

EnableP5 0
http://tinypic.com/u4uib

#172 ·
I am looking for solutions for call of Duty United offensive and Delta Force Black Hawk Down. These games suck when not in native resolution....

#173 ·
Just got done trying out the Star Wars Republic Commando demo. It doesn't support widescreen resolutions in the game menus, but you can force it.

Start the game the first time and setup your video settings, well, everything except the resolution. Then exit the game.

Then edit the file "Gamedata/Save/System.ini" and change the resolution for ALL settings in the file to what you want.

It'll have resolutions for LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/VERY HIGH settings, and even though I had VERY HIGH selected in the game and changed the resolution for VERY HIGH, it wouldn't work. So I went back and changed it for every setting and it worked like a champ.

#174 ·
According to TigerDave's web site you can make the CoD demos go widescreen by editing the config.cfg file. However, I cannot find this file in the full game. I'm stumped.

#175 ·
Main folder......make sure to change what needs to be.

#176 ·
zxlr8,

Can you elaborate? Do you actually have a full copy of CoD?

I did look in the main folder for CoD and the was no .cfg file. In fact, I ran a scan of my entire hard drive and examined every .cfg file for my entire computer and could not find one associated with CoD.

Could my .cfg file be hidden somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.