AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No High-Def for Revolution..

9K views 197 replies 43 participants last post by  Dean Martin 
#1 ·
I couldn't find this specifically in any of the other threads, but..

No HD for Revolution

Quote:
NY Times states: "Games created for two next-generation consoles - the Xbox 360 from Microsoft and the PlayStation 3 from Sony - will display video in wide-screen high-definition format if the console is connected to a high-definition TV. Only Nintendo's entry, code-named Revolution, will not cater to HDTV's."
why....why....why....

Matt :mad:

#27 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone
If you do not have the answer to that question after the PS2 and XBox I am afraid there is nothing anyone here could do for you. An artist with limited vision /boggle.
Frank . . . Frank

I'm an HD whore just like the rest the AVS crowd and own just about every console created . . . I'm just saying that I enjoy the Nintendo products the most.

Every console has good games . . . but Nintendo has consistently entertained me for the last 20 years . . . and that is something important.

I just think that young gamers and some middle age gamers get caught up in cycle of 'bigger is better', 'violent content is more mature', etc. which as you get older you realize is total BS (hopefully).

#28 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by oktoberrust11
I couldn't find this specifically in any of the other threads, but..

No HD for Revolution

why....why....why....

Matt :mad:
Well with only 2 to 3 times more power than the original i can't see that being enough for high def. I am not even considering the revolution untill its under $99 maybe even less. The ps3 at 450 is still a deal to me for the bluray player.

#29 ·
If customers did not desire advancements in gaming we would all still be playing the NES Jay. Its not about bigger and better, its about offering what consumers want and find entertaining, not what you (The company) thinks will entertain them.

I understand as an artist you would gravitate to a minimalist view of progress and I respect that. But since you are admittedly a HT fan you must admit there is far more being offered to gamers than "bigger" or "violent" games.

My home is smaller than the one I grew up in, it sits on less than 1/4 the land. It does however thanks to progress, technology and human vision have far more amenities and comforts than my parents home. I lived in their home for 18 years, it provided me with everything I needed.

That does not mean I should live in one just like it when there are "better" ones available to me.

Stop living in the past I say, bring on the future! Microsoft and Sony offer a "better" vision next gen just as they did last. While I have as much nostalgia for Nintendo as the next NES owner, I recognize they are not the company they used to be by a longshot.

#30 ·
$399 or $450 for PS3 going to drive people away? Hmmm, and how much did PS2 cost at launch? And we all remember how poorly PS2 sold at launch.

As far as few Gamecube owners not using component cables to get 480p and then Nintendo removing the component port, that is because YOU CAN'T FIND GAMECUBE COMPONENT CABLES ANYWHERE. From day one, the only method of obtaining gamecube component cables was to order through Nintendo's website for like $30, not including shipping. I would have loved to have gotten my hands on some component cables for cube, but I'm not going to pay almost the cost of a game just to have them.

For Nintendo to hardly make them available, and then to say nobody uses them, really makes me quite angry. And this reasoning alone is probably why the Revolution won't support HD. I usually buy all the home consoles, but this time, Nintendo has really dropped the ball. Too early to tell, but I think the only console I want this time will be PS3.

#31 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveCallas
$399 or $450 for PS3 going to drive people away? Hmmm, and how much did PS2 cost at launch? And we all remember how poorly PS2 sold at launch.

That makes you think if so many people were willing to spend a grand on ebay for the ps2 at launch I think they would be perfectly happy to pay 450-500

#32 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterMe

I wouldn't take an offhanded comment in the media as gospel.
I don't consider the "Old York Times" to be a reliable news source. There isn't any source pointed out for where they got their information from, and seeing how Nintendo is always very tight-lipped about these sort of things, I would take that comment with an extremely small grain of salt.

The other thing to consider is that 720p has three times the screen area of standard definition. If you took the processing power required to display a larger image and put it into a standard definition image, wouldn't you get an end result that overall looks more realistic than the larger image? Still, given these mathematics, the Revolution shouldn't have a problem doing 720p games.

I would expect more details, and the truth on this matter, by the end of E3.

But when all is said and done, I like Nintendo because of the franchizes they have. Some may say Zelda is for kids, Zelda: Twilight Princess looks like it's going to have some darker themes than any previous Zelda game. (Note: Twilight Princess may be based off the movie Ladyhawke wherein two lovers have had a curse cast upon them which causes the lady to turn into a hawk from dawn to dusk, and causes the man to turn into a wolf from dusk to dawn, thereby preventing them from meeting each other in a normal human form. So the new Zelda could be based off a tragedy style storyline.)

#33 ·
I have no doubt it will have HD regardless of what the rumor mill circulates. Since when did we start believing everything we read and every rumor that gets floated around? If it seems odd and unreasonable - hold out for the company statement.

#34 ·
I'm pretty sure 349.99 to 399.99 is a good estimate of the price of the launch titles.

If i were selling a console i would'nt go no higher than $400 if you want to create a mass market interest.

299$ would be awesome, but given the blu-ray drive and many other features i don't see that happening.

But who knows, maybe sony will pull something out of their pockets and surprise us:)

#36 ·
Maybe they are focusing on the pre-teen and early-teen market segment which typically isn't someone with an HD display. This also allows them to focus on a cheaper console in the market and not everyone is prepared to spend $300-450 on a console for their kids.

#37 ·
I personally think it's kind of good there is a console out there that caters to kids. It's the only one that does. Nintendo is like the DIsney of video games. From my perspective as a once die hard Nintendo fan back in the day, I am dissapointed as the system of choice for me.

I wasn't going to buy another N console even before this was announced but this pretty much seals the deal. It's really bogus if they make a new rogue squadron game exclusive and you can't enjoy it in HD.

#39 ·
IGNcube: We don't have any "tech specs" for Revolution. We don't have an educated idea or an estimate of how powerful the machine will be. Can you shed some light?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Let me pose a question to you. When we launched the Nintendo DS, we didn't really say too much about its power. Do you think we've suffered?

IGNcube: No. Definitely not.

Shigeru Miyamoto: We're kind of in a strange period where power is the crux of whether or not something is going to be successful. So again, that seems a little bit odd. If we rely solely on power of console to dictate to where we're going with games, I think that tends to suppress the creativity of designers. They tend to rely solely on what the technology allows them to do instead of thinking of new and creative ideas.

The way we are approaching the development of Revolution is we pose the questions to ourselves: why is the home console necessary? What functions in a home console would make everyone in the family say, "Yeah, we need that and want that." We pose those questions and the answers to those questions are what's guiding our development.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617000p1.html

#41 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Automatonjohn
I don't think they've done much to deserve the loyalty they've gotten from their fans, besides right place, right time with the NES.
Nostalgia though is a powerful force and I still remember playing some great game on the NES and SNES. Also Nintendo does try to be original though at times the direction they head in turns out to be the wrong one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Well, I'm not sure. I guess we would be worse off from a hardware standpoint but game makers would still be making the types of games they make now they would just make them for Nintendo.

I don't know that we are a whole lot better off with Sony as King.
I think Sony did well but every company does better when it has competition to push it to innovate. The PS3 might not have had 1080p output or 512 MB of RAM if it had not been for the X-box 360. Competition always improves the market.

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone
This makes no sense, the GC is almost as "powerful" as the XBox and the XBox can "almost" do HD now. Since the Revolution (HAHA) is at least 2X as powerful it should be able to do 720P. Its seems odd to leave it out.
The X-box can do HD and I have even played Freedom Fighters at 720p. The problem is that the X-box just can't do 720p that well which is why Halo 2 was 480p. If the Revolution did 720p and people compared it to the 720p on the other two consoles it would look horrible in comparison. That is the most likely reason that the Revolution will stick to 480p or maybe even 480i.

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthPaW1227
What I don't understand is why we can't just agree that each console is good in it's own right?
From the specs I think both the PS3 and X-box 360 are great consoles. As for the Nintendo Revolution I am not so sure their low cost approach is the right direction to go in since for low cost buying an older console is usually the best approach. After all by next year you can get a used console like the PS2 or X-box for $50 and you would have plenty of old games being sold new for $20 and used games selling for even less.

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthPaW1227
Variation is good. Nintendo's efforts may not be mainstream but it won't kill them, and a big percentage of people will enjoy it.
Perhaps but in this forum a console that stick with SD will not be highly regarded. Still the mass market may be a lot more forgiving about the lack of HD support at least for the next 2 or 3 years.

Quote:
Originally posted by DanLW
(Note: Twilight Princess may be based off the movie Ladyhawke wherein two lovers have had a curse cast upon them which causes the lady to turn into a hawk from dawn to dusk, and causes the man to turn into a wolf from dusk to dawn, thereby preventing them from meeting each other in a normal human form. So the new Zelda could be based off a tragedy style storyline.)
It did seem likely that somebody at Nintendo saw the movie Ladyhawke though this interview says it was just a coincidence.

#42 ·
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Quote:
The X-box can do HD and I have even played Freedom Fighters at 720p. The problem is that the X-box just can't do 720p that well which is why Halo 2 was 480p. If the Revolution did 720p and people compared it to the 720p on the other two consoles it would look horrible in comparison. That is the most likely reason that the Revolution will stick to 480p or maybe even 480i.
Everybody just hold on a minute. Let me say this.

THERE IS NO RELIABLE INFORMATION THAT THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE HIGH DEFINITION.

In another part of the above cited Miyamoto interview, he stated that they aren't even done designing the processor for the Revolution. How can somebody go and make statements about what the Revolution will and won't support if the processor isn't even done yet?

So, let's all agree that seeing as there is no official statement from Nintendo itself regarding specifics on the Revolution's powers and capabilities, then the statement that the Revolution will not support HD is simply hearsay and gossip.

#44 ·
Nintendo seems to be following the BOSE marketing model: Talk about how great the games will play and about the great form factor of the Revolution, but provide no data to indicate performance.

I also find it strange that they want to market to children, but the Revolution looks adult-oriented especially compared to the Cube.

#45 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SFB I also find it strange that they want to market to children, but the Revolution looks adult-oriented especially compared to the Cube.
I assume you mean they are marketing primarily to children. I have to wonder if that has actually ever been true. Nintendo has marketed to all gamers, and even in the most recent interview, Miyamoto stated that the Rev is aimed at all gamers. The idea that Nintendo markets only to children is a steryotype imposed on Nintendo by people who think that for a game to be directed towards adults it has to have women wearing less than 1sq foot of material, language that would make a sailor blush, more violence than a Steven King movie, and open sexual activity. I'm 25 and I don't need that in order for a game to be fun.

Yes, Nintendohas released childish games. They have also released mature games. Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil (The re-made version for the GameCube), and Turok to name a few. And there's all the inbetween games.

I care about wether or not a game is fun, not wether or not the FCC would ban it from on-air broadcasting.

#46 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Automatonjohn
Well, I like to see them get what they deserve. By trying to keep the status quo - catering to children, trying to demand unfair exclusivity deals with third party developers, cartridges, etc- in my opinion if Nintendo was still king we'd all be worse off as videogame fans.

I don't think they've done much to deserve the loyalty they've gotten from their fans, besides right place, right time with the NES.
yeah. they should go down for creating Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4. bastards.

#48 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sfb
Nintendo seems to be following the BOSE marketing model: Talk about how great the games will play and about the great form factor of the Revolution, but provide no data to indicate performance.

I also find it strange that they want to market to children, but the Revolution looks adult-oriented especially compared to the Cube.
I don't think so. Nintendo does what it thinks is the best avenue for it's games. Sega was this way too. The great things about Sega and Nintendo being hardware makers was they made their harware specifically with their franchises in mind. Look at the Nintendo controller. They thought of Mario style games when they made that controller.

When they are lost from the hardware business (IF they are, and I doubt they will) they would be like Sega and their games would not be as good.

#49 ·
Quote:
I assume you mean they are marketing primarily to children. I have to wonder if that has actually ever been true. Nintendo has marketed to all gamers, and even in the most recent interview, Miyamoto stated that the Rev is aimed at all gamers. The idea that Nintendo markets only to children is a steryotype imposed on Nintendo by people who think that for a game to be directed towards adults it has to have women wearing less than 1sq foot of material, language that would make a sailor blush, more violence than a Steven King movie, and open sexual activity. I'm 25 and I don't need that in order for a game to be fun.

Yes, Nintendohas released childish games. They have also released mature games. Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil (The re-made version for the GameCube), and Turok to name a few. And there's all the inbetween games.

I care about wether or not a game is fun, not wether or not the FCC would ban it from on-air broadcasting.
Quote:
THERE IS NO RELIABLE INFORMATION THAT THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE HIGH DEFINITION.
Let me also stress this fact: The fact that they haven't said anything about HD support doesn't mean that it won't have it. They didn't show their controller at E3, and that definitely doesn't mean their won't be a controller.

Right now, the Revolution's power, and controller design could be anything. Since we don't know, we can't compare. End of story.

#50 ·
Come on well all know it the next cube is gona suck hard! if i was 5 then maybe id like the original cube but damn And the titles that are good are usually on all 3 anyway with exceptions of course.

#51 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG
Come on well all know it the next cube is gona suck hard! if i was 5 then maybe id like the original cube but damn And the titles that are good are usually on all 3 anyway with exceptions of course.

You're right. That's why I got to enjoy:

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Zelda:Windwaker

Mario Kart

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Eternal Darkness

Super Mario Sunshine

Animal Crossing

Paper Mario

Rogue Leader

Rebel Strike

Waverace

etc.

on my XBOX/PS2. Yeah, Nintendo sucks :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.