HDTVs and Video Game Lag: The Problem and the Solution. - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 718 Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just for fun i took pics of my 720p res vs 1080p resolution in MW2. I reset all of my settings back to normal beforehand. Check out my results.

In my opinion, the 720p looks the best for MW2. It was the clearest of them all. The 720p game is better than the 1080p game too. Interesting.

My next puzzle is to tell my PS3 to display MW2 in 720p and blu ray in 1080p. for some reason it goes to 1080p all the time if it can.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 718 Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 AM

Here are a couple of problems

First, MW2 is native 1024x600 so no matter if you choose 720p or 1080p, the game will need to be upscaled anyways and both upscale it by the same proportions.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Second, your TV LN46B630 (630B = B630 correct?) is 1080p so if the game is upscaled to 720p, then it will need to be upscaled again to 1080p by your TV.

Third & Fourth, you are using a game mode which means the picture quality will be crap and only PC mode gives you good image + good response time, which is why so many samsung owners were tinkering with it. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1110472
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18718314

Here are two pictures I took a while back showing the difference.
LL
LL
post #693 of 718 Old 06-13-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSlayer View Post

...you are using a game mode which means the picture quality will be crap and only PC mode gives you good image

I've tried PC mode and game mode on my LN46A650... between the two, PC mode doesn't look as good to me when playing games, but does have a slightly improved response time.

Game mode looks better (sharper, vibrant) when playing the Xbox360 and PS3, and has a decent enough response time for me. YMMV of course, so each user should try both and see which they prefer.

If I was watching TV (like Lost), I would probably also choose PC mode between the two, but I have another TV for that.
post #694 of 718 Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 AM

Mine is the Samsung - LN-46B630

That is interesting that the 720 needs to be upscaled 2 times. I did notice, even in game mode, that it seemed like a little more video lag. The picture wasn't as good though. I wonder if the TV tells the PS3 that it prefers 1080p instead of 720p.
post #695 of 718 Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I've tried PC mode and game mode on my LN46A650... between the two, PC mode doesn't look as good to me when playing games, but does have a slightly improved response time.

Game mode looks better (sharper, vibrant) when playing the Xbox360 and PS3, and has a decent enough response time for me. YMMV of course, so each user should try both and see which they prefer.

If I was watching TV (like Lost), I would probably also choose PC mode between the two, but I have another TV for that.

That's like saying Sports more is more vibrant and sharper then Cinema mode, and that would be true, but the fact still stands that the PQ is crap, and Game mode is somewhere in between the two settings wise.

A good example is looking at a textured wall, where as it should have small bumps and grooves up close but be overall smooth from a distance, in Game or Sports mode, it looks like someone took 40 grit sandpaper to it.

Obliviously you can view the image however you like but by all videophile standards the image looks awful from the unnecessary video processing, wrong sharpness, way too high color temp, etc
post #696 of 718 Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM

I'm currently looking for a 47 inch tv, that I would mainly use for gaming. I'm currently using an sd crt, so I'm pretty sure I'm sensitive to input lag. Originally I wanted to buy an LG 47LH4000, but I've read some very different input lag results of it, ranging from 20 to 80 ms. As far as I know 100 hz and other features only increase lag, so when you switch to game mode they are automatically switched off, so your left with a blurry picture, which I honestly don't really like.

Therefore I started to look for plasmas, especially Panasonics, because they have a reputation for having the least amount of input lag. Unfortunately the G10/G20 modell, that has the new NEOPDP panel is a bit too expensive for me. I've read a review on www. hdtvtest. com, where they claim that the S20 is also equipped with this new panel, so it would be ideal for me, since it has a beutiful picture, but all panasonic homepages (except the UK site) list the S20 among the NON neopdp models.

I'm quite lost now, I'm really short on useful information regarding input lag, so every help is very appreciated.
Do you guys have any suggestions on specific models, or where I should start looking?
post #697 of 718 Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby88 View Post

I've read a review on www. hdtvtest. com
Do you guys have any suggestions on specific models, or where I should start looking?

Such a site "hdtvtest.com" doesn't exist.

I'm in a similar boat as you right now and am also looking for something 30-40ish" for gaming+movies, and judging from many reviews seems like plasma is the way to go in terms of sheer picture quality.

Anyone have feedback over TVs that can just be found at electronic stores (i.e. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.)? I was scoping out some Samsung and Panasonic plasmas but the models available at local retailers are not listed at all, under "good" or "bad", on any of the earlier links posted (might be cause the first post is quite old).

Been looking at a Panasonic 42" plasma model TC-P42U2 (1080p), and Samsung 42" plasma model PN42C450B1D (720p). Or is it worth it to just get a decent HDTV and just buy a DVDO as mentioned in the first post (seen a price drop on older Anchor Bay models)?
post #698 of 718 Old 07-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToast View Post

I'm in a similar boat as you right now and am also looking for something 30-40ish" for gaming+movies, and judging from many reviews seems like plasma is the way to go in terms of sheer picture quality.

Anyone have feedback over TVs that can just be found at electronic stores (i.e. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.)? I was scoping out some Samsung and Panasonic plasmas but the models available at local retailers are not listed at all, under "good" or "bad", on any of the earlier links posted (might be cause the first post is quite old).

Been looking at a Panasonic 42" plasma model TC-P42U2 (1080p), and Samsung 42" plasma model PN42C450B1D (720p). Or is it worth it to just get a decent HDTV and just buy a DVDO as mentioned in the first post (seen a price drop on older Anchor Bay models)?

Never buy stuff annouced in the flyer. They always have other models hidden at the store such as the G25 & VT25 or PNC8000 whatever PNB850. They also sell higher end model not annouced in the outside of the flyer.

Flyer = Crappy stuff that shouldn't be sold at all.

Indeed they might be less expensive in the flyer, but also lose their value very fast which isn't worth it.
post #699 of 718 Old 07-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Hi everyone, someone at Nintendo Age recommended this forum and it seems like you guys really know what you're talking about regarding lag in HDTVs!

Anyway, here's my story. I have a 32" Sharp Aquos HDTV (LC-32GP3U-R) that me and my wife bought on QVC about a year and a half ago. While it's supposed to be a gaming TV, I think they really meant in regards to the newer consoles, not the classic ones. I currently have a top loader NES (composite), SNES/N64/GCN/PS2 (S-video), and Wii (component) hooked up to it.

My question to you guys is how should I have the following settings to ensure that lag is kept down to as minimum as possible (obviously there's no such thing as zero lag)?

OPC (what does this mean?): Set currently to OFF

ACTIVE CONTRAST (adjusts black level and white levels of images): Set currently to OFF
(if set to on, you can adjust the mim and max range)

IMAGE COMPENSATION SETTINGS
Fast (optimized for action videos) <--I think it's on this setting
Slow (optimized for videos with fine detail)

3D-Y/C (what is this???)
(adjusts to optimum picture quality according to picture movement)
Slow
Standard
Fast
Off (2D)<--Current setting

VIEW MODE:
Side Bar <--Obviously on this setting; or will setting it on smart stretch actually lower the lag?
Smart Stretch
Zoom
Stretch

There's also some kind of Game Mode but I'm not sure exactly how to use it correctly. I did find a menu that lets you turn it off/on with each kind of input so I have it set to ON for all inputs that I have my game consoles hooked up to.

Also, when playing my NES, I notice this weird redrawing thing whenever I play Super Mario Bros games (and also where I can most easily notice any lag, especially when trying to punch bricks; other than that, I don't seem to notice any lag at all) every several seconds (I don't know how best to describe it; I THINK this happens on NES emulators on a PC also). It doesn't really affect gameplay but I'd love to eliminate it if I can.

Now in my case, I don't think the lag is all that bad (I've heard plenty of horror stories about how other HDTV's are in that regard and I'm well aware it can be a LOT worse) but still I'm kinda a perfectionist and I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to ensure the best classic gaming experience possible. And NO, I don't want to get a CRT TV because I don't like how you can't see the entire screen (like you can on a HDTV) and the last two I had the picture was tilted.

One last question; is there anyway at all I can use HDMI for my Wii or PS2? Or is component the best either can do?
post #700 of 718 Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToast View Post

Sorry I mistiped it, it's hdtvtest.co.uk.

I bought last week a Panasonic S20 plasma. It's brilliant for gaming, it has about 16 ms lag in game mode, the picture quality is superb, overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

You should consider buying this over the U20, the only difference is that the S20 has 600 hz instead of 400 hz, and looks a bit better in my opinion. The price gap is marginal (something around 20-40 $ depending on the size)

Forget Samsungs, they are widely known for having horrendous amount of input lag.
post #701 of 718 Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM

this site tests lag in lots of new tvs................ http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/
post #702 of 718 Old 08-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back into business. But I am curious about which TVs are good fir gaming and if anybody had anything.
I am looking at the Panasonic 42ST30 and the Sony 46HX729. I saw from the website above, that the Sony 40HX723 had a response time/input lag of 31 ms. What's the acceptable response/lag time for PS3 gaming? Is 31 ms too high?

I am a hardcore gamer.
post #703 of 718 Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Has anyone tried out the Orei XD-901 for upscaling older game consoles to HDMI 720p or 1080p? I'm curious how well (or not) it works.
They sell them on Amazon.
post #704 of 718 Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRise View Post

Sorry to bring this thread back into business. But I am curious about which TVs are good fir gaming and if anybody had anything.
I am looking at the Panasonic 42ST30 and the Sony 46HX729. I saw from the website above, that the Sony 40HX723 had a response time/input lag of 31 ms. What's the acceptable response/lag time for PS3 gaming? Is 31 ms too high?

I am a hardcore gamer.

Every 16 ms of lag equals one frame of lag in a 60 frames-per-second title (like most fighting games for instance). CRTs of old had zero lag. HDTV tech has lag numbers all over the map.

Generally speaking, 20 ms or less in lag is top tier for hardcore gaming if you can't get a set with 0 ms. Many people can get by with 32 ms or less (two frames of lag per 60fps). As you approach three laggy frames and higher, it'll begin to slightly impact your gaming experience in technical titles that require precision. Some sets can have lag rated at 100 ms or more, so keep all of this in mind.

You can mitigate the effect of lag in many modern HDTVs by turning on "Game Mode". It disables the special processing settings in sets so that you get the least lag possible on that particular unit. Depending on the set, the changes could be great or mild, but it'll always be an anti-lag improvement (the visuals may look less impressive however). Also, Plasmas seem to more often have less lag than LCDs, but it isn't always the case.

Here is a website that says they've rated the lag in quite a few HDTVs, both in Standard and Game modes. Check it out to get an idea of what is out there.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #705 of 718 Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I am a hardcore gamer.

Generally speaking:

1. Plasmas are better than LCD on lag
2. Stay away from Samsung LCDs
3. Sharp is generally considered to be very good.
4. 31ms is adequate - not too bad not too great. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you're a one-frame-link Street Fighter type of hardcore gamer.

That's what I've picked up in my research. I am thinking of getting a Panasonic plasma next year, only because I play a lot of SF and I think my TV's input lag (it's an old Samsung LCD) is screwing me up a bit.
post #706 of 718 Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 AM

looking at getting a lg lk520, does anyone know the gaming lag time on this tv?
post #707 of 718 Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarduck View Post

HIGH DEFINITION MATERIAL DOES NOT LAG ON A HIGH DEFINITION SET 99% OF THE TIME.

What if you have 720p material on a 1080p HDTV (or 1080p material on a 720p HDTV)? I would think there would be lag from the upscaling (or downscaling).

I also wonder about overscan, which all TVs do by default. Even if you have 1080p material on a 1080p HDTV, there will be overscan, so that may incur some lag too.
post #708 of 718 Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:

rglr 720 smallish size.jpg (175.0 KB, 81 views)

The third image, is thd best image, that is all I can say The gun looks blurred in that image but it looks the most clearest. I did not even notice the rainbow lines
until the fourth image.

It is a videogame. They are not meant for the flat pannels no matter what. They are meant for regular televisions. It is a burden that you have to play a videogame on any flat panel screen. Even a computer monitor is a burden. These are meant to be played far away at least six foot away, not two foot.

I could only image you playing the game in a living room type area, or in a bedroom of some sort. If it is in your home teather then you can't change it around, or you have to take the system to a local television store, and test it on every single flat panel. This seems to be the only way. This is the advice I give for people having trouble with image devices.

Also Samsung seems to be bad company in terms of television. I have one I am using as a table, that I have not worked on yet
post #709 of 718 Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Generally speaking:

1. Plasmas are better than LCD on lag
2. Stay away from Samsung LCDs
3. Sharp is generally considered to be very good.
4. 31ms is adequate - not too bad not too great. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you're a one-frame-link Street Fighter type of hardcore gamer.

That's what I've picked up in my research. I am thinking of getting a Panasonic plasma next year, only because I play a lot of SF and I think my TV's input lag (it's an old Samsung LCD) is screwing me up a bit.

Back in market for higher end LCD or plasma. Very bright room. Why avoid samsungs? Prices on the 55d8000 are really good.
post #710 of 718 Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 PM

hi i am new here and i cannot.find the input lag for the sony kdl32ex521. anywhere on the internet . so has anybody owned and tested this hdtv for input lag. if so please comment thank u guys very much. ps i am buying this tv next week
post #711 of 718 Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM

I think I've just found a way to eliminate the lag from the tv with no real noticeable difference the image quality. Here is what you do:

On the xbox 360 console display settings, you change the image resolution from whatever it was to 1024x768 and there you go.
post #712 of 718 Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal0fart View Post

I think I've just found a way to eliminate the lag from the tv with no real noticeable difference the image quality. Here is what you do:

On the xbox 360 console display settings, you change the image resolution from whatever it was to 1024x768 and there you go.

This doesn't eliminate lag.
post #713 of 718 Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:

I am a hardcore gamer.

Response time and input lag are not the same. Response time has no affect on gaming lag.
post #714 of 718 Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseboy View Post

Response time and input lag are not the same. Response time has no affect on gaming lag.

To clairfy, response time is closer to motion blur, the ghosting of Sonic or Mario running from left to right on screen. Input lag is how long after you press the button does it take for the action to happen. If you are running for a long jump and you KNOW you pressed the button at the last second but your character fell anyway, the TV may have "input lag".

As for what is acceptable, that depends on the game. Most games for most people make it not noticable (Mario Party, Mario Kart, maybe Gears of War or Forza etc) since you don't need split second timing. For other games, like fighting games (ie SF can require 1frame links or 16ms of a reaction time, KOF XIII is also very timing heavy) it can affect your gameplay directly. What kind of games do you play? For most fighting game fans, 20ms or less is acceptable. Good luck finding that info though, input lag is not a common spec to print out and very few sites have the tv's to test or setup the gear to do it.

If you're playing NFS:HP, Heavy Rain, Gears (or God) of War this stuff won't really matter so I'd say don't sweat it too much. I play fighting games so its of concern to me but when I go to my GF's house, and play other stuff, it doesn't really matter.

An expert at anything was once a beginner...
Founder of the "F-WAF" group.
" WAF?!? F*** WAF! I put in on this house too you know... " =)
post #715 of 718 Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here is a good website for reviews and face-off input lag test:
http://www.digitalversus.com/
post #716 of 718 Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 PM

When using game mode should you make adjustments to the basic settings like backlight, contrast, brightness, color etc. or should they be left on the default of game mode. I know all the processing features are shut off like dynamic contrast, & color. I just bought a new lcd tv and have never had game mode on my older tv just wanting to know the do's & don'ts in game mode. Thanks.
post #717 of 718 Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog View Post

When using game mode should you make adjustments to the basic settings like backlight, contrast, brightness, color etc. or should they be left on the default of game mode. I know all the processing features are shut off like dynamic contrast, & color. I just bought a new lcd tv and have never had game mode on my older tv just wanting to know the do's & don'ts in game mode. Thanks.

Not sure about your tv, but most "grey out" any lag-inducing features that require excessive processesing in Game Mode.

You are probably fine messing with things like backlighting and brightness.
post #718 of 718 Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Not sure about your tv, but most "grey out" any lag-inducing features that require excessive processesing in Game Mode.
You are probably fine messing with things like backlighting and brightness.
I have a LG 42" 1080p lcd tv 120hz. It does grey out the processing features or turns them off so I just leave them alone. Thanks for the info as I wanted to improve the picture as in game mode things are pretty dull and less sharp just wanted to be sure it was alright to touch the basic settings in that mode.
Reply General Gaming Help