Why you like your console... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used to be a hardcore PlayStation fan. In fact I bought a PS2 primarily for Final Fantasy X. When I bought my HDTV and found out that very few PS2 games supported progressive scan and that most Xbox games did, I decided to pick up an Xbox. I then started getting addicted to Halo, as most do.

When I look at the differences between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 I am going with Xbox 360 all the way. I don't care that PS3 has a Blueray drive or two useless HDMI ports or maybe even a more powerfull processor. I'm looking at the software lineup of Perfect Dark Zero on Halo 3 eventually. Not to mention that may of the games that Sony had have been going over to Xbox including Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy, some of my other favorites. Xbox Live adds so much more fun to any game that supports it. And I would pay $400 just to have a HDTV Media Center extender.

So all in all, even though Sony's new system may be more powerfull, I think the 360 will have a much wider range of support and features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I like my console because it provides me fun and entertainment. Home theater features are icing on the cake IMO, but a great game can be great with or without an HDTV. :)
post #3 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:28 AM

you do realize you justified buying an xbox based on the fact that it was a better tehcnology and had better image output (better progressive scan support). now you are saying the exact opposite, already dismissing the ps3 since better technology is not important...

hey, i'm all for the latter opinion on gaming (gaming experience first, graphics second), but i felt it necessary to point out that your statement is completely contradictory.
post #4 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 AM

oh, i like my consoles because i can play games on them.
post #5 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John Thomas
you do realize you justified buying an xbox based on the fact that it was a better tehcnology and had better image output (better progressive scan support). now you are saying the exact opposite, already dismissing the ps3 since better technology is not important...

hey, i'm all for the latter opinion on gaming (gaming experience first, graphics second), but i felt it necessary to point out that your statement is completely contradictory.
Not neccesarily, Maybe he got initially got lured into the xbox for the graphics etc., and then evolved a deeper appreciation for gaming and the xbox services. They say that looks are why you talk to a girl but that her personality traits are what keep you around. :)
post #6 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextWaveG
I used to be a hardcore PlayStation fan. In fact I bought a PS2 primarily for Final Fantasy X. When I bought my HDTV and found out that very few PS2 games supported progressive scan and that most Xbox games did, I decided to pick up an Xbox. I then started getting addicted to Halo, as most do.

When I look at the differences between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 I am going with Xbox 360 all the way. I don't care that PS3 has a Blueray drive or two useless HDMI ports or maybe even a more powerfull processor. I'm looking at the software lineup of Perfect Dark Zero on Halo 3 eventually. Not to mention that may of the games that Sony had have been going over to Xbox including Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy, some of my other favorites. Xbox Live adds so much more fun to any game that supports it. And I would pay $400 just to have a HDTV Media Center extender.

So all in all, even though Sony's new system may be more powerfull, I think the 360 will have a much wider range of support and features.
You seem to be asking why we like our 'console' yet the post seems to encompass future consoles as well so in the spirit of that....
I own all of the current gen consoles and I like console gaming because of the ease of use and living room setting consoles exist in. I was a console gamer going way back to the Atari era but after the Sega Genesis era I became a PC gamer. I preferred Sega to Nintendo and I really enjoyed the Sega Dreamcast.

That said I do enjoy all of the current consoles but Xbox has brought me the most use for the following reasons:
1.Ease of game saves. The Hard Drive brought with it the end of memory cards. I still have room on my Hard drive and never looked back
2.Xbox Live.
3. Seems to be a console that appreciates FPS and most resembles PC game experiences
4. 480p or better on most games.

For these reasons I prefer the Xbox. As far as going with '360 all the way' I will certainly pick one up because the last Xbox earned my loyalty but that isn't to say I am choosing it over the PS3. We need to see more of the PS3 before a decision like that would be made.
post #7 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is ironic if you look at Sony and MS history of gaming...

The PS2 came out first and had a huge variety of games.

The Xbox came out second and was more powerful but not as widely supported.

This time...

The Xbox 360 is coming out first and has a large library of games in the near future.

The PS3 is coming out later and is supposed to be more powerful.

The main reason I am staying with Xbox is for games like Halo and PDZ. I don't play a huge amount anymore, mainly when I have friends over. And those are the games we like to play. I'm also REALLY thrilled about the HDTV MCE extendar. Like I said before, I would buy the XB360 just for that. In my mind, Sony doesn't have anything that comes close to that. They still haven't said anything about offering an online community.

Basically the way I look at it...

Hardware power is important, games are much more important, but support and features are what make a system great.
post #8 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hardware power is important, games are much more important, but support and features are what make a system great.
I think great games are what make a system great.

I refer back to the Dreamcast. It offers less features than most current gen consoles, but I still consider it the better system because of the great games it offered.
post #9 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
You seem to be asking why we like our 'console' yet the post seems to encompass future consoles as well
Good point.... I've been so focused on the next gen that it's all I talk about.

To me HDTV support is important. That's why I got a Xbox (and an HDTV). Great sound affects are important too. Playing Halo 2 in 6.1 on 1000w is totally awesome. Games are obviously big, but I never have time to sit down and play a good RPG so I look mostly at multiplayer games to play when my friends are over. Right now Halo 2 and Super Monkey Ball are our two favorites.

As for next gen games, PDZ, Halo 3, Ghost Reacon 3, and PGR3 are all games I can't wait to see. Elder Scrolls looks incredible, but I don't know if I'd have time to play it. Although, I might get Kameo for my wife.
post #10 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJean

I refer back to the Dreamcast. It offers less features than most current gen consoles, but I still consider it the better system because of the great games it offered.
Games are huge. What I'm looking at is games like Halo 2 that came out with the multiplayer map pack adding 9 new maps to the game. When has that ever happened before? Support in Xbox live gives games so much more playing time and features.

Dreamcast was great, but without any additional support, it died in the market place. Regardless if you look at the game library, I think xbox has the edge over Playstation with having Live, MCE extendar, and customization features.
post #11 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJean

I dunno Jean, it may not have DVD playback but yet it had online play long before the Xbox and had awesome VGA support. I don't know if you ever connected your DC to a computer monitor but it looked fantastic on one.

Now I realize the VMU was a little behind the times and not that big of a deal but picking your plays secretly on the screen of your controller was kinda neat.

Sorry, I'm just a bit fond of the little guy. :D
post #12 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's all about the games.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #13 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:14 AM

it's interesting, though. we know very little about what the ps3 will actually offer, especially in terms of services. yet, you are dead set against the ps3 while not really knowing what it's going to offer. hell, we don't even know the price yet. don't you want to wait and see what they have to say about it before shelling out $400? if you have no problem buying a second console later, then okay. but if you're only getting one, why choose now?

i'm not partial to either the 360 or the ps3, and i will remain as such until i see what sony actually has planned. then i will decide. in fact, i'm waiting until i know plenty about all three systems before making my purchase(s).
post #14 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 AM

I will go where the games are. I have always been a big Final Fantasy fan and for that reason have been loyal to Playstation. I didn't get an Xbox till Knights of the Old Republic games came out.
post #15 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
it's interesting, though. we know very little about what the ps3 will actually offer, especially in terms of services. yet, you are dead set against the ps3 while not really knowing what it's going to offer. hell, we don't even know the price yet. don't you want to wait and see what they have to say about it before shelling out $400? if you have no problem buying a second console later, then okay. but if you're only getting one, why choose now?

i'm not partial to either the 360 or the ps3, and i will remain as such until i see what sony actually has planned. then i will decide. in fact, i'm waiting until i know plenty about all three systems before making my purchase(s).
I don't hate the PS3. Right now from what I can see, the 360 has all the features I want from a system and it's coming out first so I will buy one. If the PS3 has a ton of great features that make me justify switching over, than I will. I don't see Sony having a MCE extendar in it and that is a big feature to me.
post #16 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I don't hate the PS3. Right now from what I can see, the 360 has all the features I want from a system and it's coming out first so I will buy one. If the PS3 has a ton of great features that make me justify switching over, than I will. I don't see Sony having a MCE extendar in it and that is a big feature to me.
okay, i just thought you were dismissing it entirely. sounds good to me. enjoy.
post #17 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 AM

games are the bottom line.. I actually expect to play less games next gen than this, so I'll be even more selective than I've been in the past.. Just isn't enough time for everything anymore.

"Now I realize the VMU was a little behind the times and not that big of a deal but picking your plays secretly on the screen of your controller was kinda neat."

that is one best things to come from a console in a long time IMO..

I wish one of the newer gen systems would implement something similar or just buy the rights.
post #18 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:42 AM

I buy a game every month or two, so I want the 'AAA' title games to be absolutely top notch. This generation I preferred the XBox over the PS2 in that regard.

Whichever system has the best 10-15 titles each year is going to be the one that keeps me around.
post #19 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound
I buy a game every month or two, so I want the 'AAA' title games to be absolutely top notch. This generation I preferred the XBox over the PS2 in that regard.

Whichever system has the best 10-15 titles each year is going to be the one that keeps me around.
I agree totally with that. With games going up to $60 each, I'll be getting less. And if I can get hundreds of hours out of a game and enjoy it with my friends than it's worth the investment.
post #20 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Let's forget the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 debate for a second. Why did so many people go to the PS2? Well, it came out first, it was backwards compatible with the popular PS1, and it continued popular titles such as Final Fantasy. Then Microsoft came out with the X-Box. MS too the advantage of a late arrival to provide support for better graphics and the ever popular X-Box live. To a certain degree, it looks like MS was aimed at a different market...the online PC gaming crowd. Then there was the awesome Halo1 and even better Halo 2. So then you saw some converts from PS2 to XBox. Now back to the debate. The fact that there is a debate indicates that the difference in graphical output will probably not be noticed by the average game player. The enthusiast may enjoy superior graphics on his 50" plasma with digital input and a blu-ray drive. But the mainstream probably wont notice much of a difference. After all, not many people will notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p (and even most HD screens wont take 1080p). So what are you left with. You are left with a choice between game titles...I'd say PS3 will still have an advantage having an old libray with their new library...but the 360 will have considerably closed the gap with it's earlier launch. What else do you have? The 360 has an already well established online community with it's LIVE service. Downloadable content, online multiplayer, the works. This is where I perceive the difference to be ultimately.
post #21 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
not sure if you heard, but the games (at least microsoft's first pary ones anyway) are remaining at $49.99.
post #22 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 AM

Why did so many people go to the PS2?"

For the games..
.. Sony's systems have a history of having a huge library of games. If history is any indication the PS3 will also have a massive library of games.

I agree, the gap should even be closer this gen if MS plays there cards well.
post #23 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I love my GBA becasue it has the coolest game of my childhood: Time Pilot.

What more could a gamer ask for?

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #24 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 12:27 PM

I got the PS2 before MS jumped in, so it won be default as it kept pumping out great games (Grand Theft Autos, Metal Gear Solids, Gran Turismo, ICO, FFX, God of War, etc) that I never got around to picking up an Xbox. Plus, I don't really like FPS or playing online.

Honestly, I doubt I'll be running out to get the PS3 or 360 right away. A lot of hype in these forums, but I just don't see the leap in gameplay in the next gen systems (besides better graphics.) To me, it's just the PS2/Xbox on steriods and not a real revolution.
post #25 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Why did so many people go to the PS2?"

For the games..
.. Sony's systems have a history of having a huge library of games. If history is any indication the PS3 will also have a massive library of games.

I agree, the gap should even be closer this gen if MS plays there cards well.
Not to divert this topic too far off but do you really think so many people bought a PS2 just for the games? I mean, most people buy consoles to play games but people were lining up for hours to buy a PS2 and you can't tell me it was for Smugglers Run and Fantavision.
I think at & around launch people bought a PS2 because of the mass hysteria and it was the cool new thing to have.
Besides, if you didn't get a PS2 what was left? Dreamcast. So if it WAS all about the games the fact that DC had problems with some 3rd party support left you with only one place to turn. Sony.
Now for Nintendo's part I think it can be said that people buy that system for the games, specific certain kinds of games.
Some people may have bought a PS2 for a variety of reasons. I think it's kind of general to say 'for the games' as if they have a great library. (Not to say that they don't but it's too general to say why 'most people' bought'.

Why I bought a PS2: Mostly hype. I am a gamer but the demos and talk of how great it would be led to a purchase. Satisfaction: Ultimately the games were not there in my real taste range and graphics were quickly surpassed by the PC and other consoles.

Why I bought an Xbox: The manager of the local Gamestop was really adamant as to how great the Xbox would be. He persisted and eventually I gave in. Knowing the beloved DC went out made me skeptical of any newcomer. Ultimately my purchase was above satisfactory.

Why I bought a Gamecube: With kids in the house and my previous knowledge that Nintendo does make som quality games couple with a lower release price led to a Cube purchase. While I don't use it all that much it gave me 3 or 4 of the best games of the generation putting the Cube 3rd behind Xbox and Dreamcast for my all time favorite consoles.
post #26 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I broke down and bought a used PS2 because I wanted to play DDR. I realize that I could have bought an Xbox ad done the same thing. For me, standing in the store making the choice, the deal breaker was the fact that I could still play my original playstation games on the PS2. (Gotta love having some beers and playing super dodge ball before you head out for the night.)

I'm confused too.

post #27 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 01:04 PM

Yes I do...It was known well in advance that the PS2 would have massive 3rd party support. People in general were very happy with the software that the PS1 had delivered, a massive gaming library in it's own right. Most people I know couldn't wait for the tradition to continue onto the next level with the PS2.

Of course it had hype. The PS1 delivered in a massive way so the hype was well deserved. In time the PS2 delivered as well and more than exceeded my expectations and many others as well.

FYI, I never bouth smugglers run and fantavision.. though smuggles run is actually fun.

Tekken Tag is one of the best fighters to date IMO (Tekken 5 being better), NHL hockey by EA was also a great launch game, we had plenty of 4 human vs. 4 human matches with that game. NOt too far after the launch many more great games came as well, I never really caught up with all of them as there I just don't allocate as much time to gaming as I did back in the days.

Xbox performed better than I had expected, which is a good thing. It took a while to pick up steam but it did.
post #28 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Yes I do...It was known well in advance that the PS2 would have massive 3rd party support. People in general were very happy with the software that the PS1 had delivered, a massive gaming library in it's own right. Most people I know couldn't wait for the tradition to continue onto the next level with the PS2.

Of course it had hype. The PS1 delivered in a massive way so the hype was well deserved. In time the PS2 delivered as well and more than exceeded my expectations and many others as well.

FYI, I never bouth smugglers run and fantavision.. though smuggles run is actually fun.

Tekken Tag is one of the best fighters to date IMO (Tekken 5 being better), NHL hockey by EA was also a great launch game, we had plenty of 4 human vs. 4 human matches with that game. NOt too far after the launch many more great games came as well, I never really caught up with all of them as there I just don't allocate as much time to gaming as I did back in the days.

Xbox performed better than I had expected, which is a good thing. It took a while to pick up steam but it did.
So you are basically then saying people bought the PS2 based on faith that there would be a lot of games, not necessarily they are buying them now for the games that are available?
I don't necessarily think you can point to a single solitary reason the PS2 sold huge. I know in Japan there was a high demand for DVD at the time but I still can't help but feel it was hype over substance.
post #29 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 01:32 PM

lol, I just noticed "In my own world".. . I think it was a combination of both substance and hype (hype that was well deserved based off the PS1's offerings).. I bought at launch for games (if it didn't have games I wanted at launch I simply would have waited, which is exactly what I did with the xbox and Cube, they simply didn't have what I wanted right away). I also bought knowing that future games I wanted would be coming as well.. For example Metal Gear was shown before launch yet it was not released for quite some time. Metal gear was a very popular game on the PS1 hence many people were looking forward to a sequel.

Same goes with the xbox360, right now there are only a few games I want, but we know already they have more support this time around and the xbox had a great library as is. It is not a far stretch or a stretch at all to assume some time down the line that more great games will be available for the 360 in the future.
post #30 of 111 Old 08-26-2005, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
God himself graced the PS2 with favor. No other explanation can explain how Sony will end up selling 100M+ of those damn things!

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Closed Thread General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page