Score (Pelican) Universal System Selector Pro 2.0 review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-04-2006, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Score (Pelican) Universal System Selector Pro 2.0 just arrived today. Its actually branded Score but its definitely made by Pelcian. At first when I plugged in my Xbox via component cables to input 1 ,the picture was very washed out and looked horrible. I thought the signal degradtion was that bad. However, I unplugged the xbox cables and then plugged it into input 2 and the picture looked normal. It turned out that the component video input on input 1 was broken. So i just hooked up the xbox on input 2 and my ps2 on input 3. I still have 2 free inputs enough for the Xbox 360 when I get one and maybe the PS3 so no complains, I can live with 1 broken input.

I noticed no signal degradtions on either the PS2 or Xbox. I have a few 720p Xbox games and they look same to me too. It says on the box that it supports HDTV and as far as I can tell it work fine with 720p hd signals. The LCD display is preprogrammed and it comes with plenty of labels. From the N64, PS-one to the Xbox 360 and PS3. Also comes with labels for many other devices including some like D-TV/CABL, IPOD, MP3 and MP4. A customizable display would be nicer but due to the large number of preprorammed lables it would probably have a label for most devices you would connect to it. The blue back light makes it looks very good.

This device actually comes in 3 colors; white, grey and black. I got the white one and it looks very nice. It also comes with a component and a composite, rca audio cable. I immeidately noticed that the cable looks and is designed like the regular av cable that originally came with the xbox. Don't know if thats good or not but I didn't use it to hook it up to my TV. I just use the component + rca stereo cable i orded from Monoprice.com

The remote control is pretty nice too. Instead of plastic, it is incased in metal and the color matches the color of your system selector. The ethernet ports is now not assigned to a specific input. It only has 3 ethernet jacks (1 input, 2 output) but now you still have to switch between them manually but you can do it with the remote control.

The first 3 inputs has coxial and optical audio too but I using the TV speakers right now. Overall I'm very happy with it and no complaints besides the messed up first component input. If your looking for a cheap video switcher then this might be a good choice. I originally got it because I had $57 left in unused overstock.com gift certificates but its definitely worth the $90.

Here are some pics:

Front of box

Back of Box

Unit under Samsung SIR-451 and Liteon LVD-2001 DVD player.

AV Cable that came with Xbox on right and cables that came with The System Selector and remote on the left
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Liked: 14
Just a bit of warning. I just went through TWO of these from two different gamestops. Each one had at least 3 busted component inputs (distorted colors, wavey lines, etc). I think there is a real build quailty issue with these units.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-13-2006, 05:48 PM

Same here. I just picked one up last night and it has component input 5 not recognizing anything. Don't know if I should keep it or not.
post #4 of 22 Old 02-15-2006, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, at first this was suppose to be a temporary solution until the Joytech Xbox 360 control center comes out in the next month or two. I got tired of waiting for it and just got this one instead. I guess I was luckly with only 1 broken input.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I found the following product NEW on ebay. It only supports component (or composite) and stereo audio, but it does matrix switching (any of 4 sources to 2 outputs simultaneously)...

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/d...7&price=139.99

This electronics store has an e-bay store where they sell this product new for a very good price. I don't think forum rules allow exact prices though (the price in that link is not correct BTW). The picture is crystal clear even on long (20') runs.

- Cryo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oblivion media (including the home of Valk's Videos)
Fan Fiction (Home of Cryofax & Turin's Tales)
Dark Journeys (The Oblivion mod by the Guild Team)
post #6 of 22 Old 02-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazykevy View Post

Well, at first this was suppose to be a temporary solution until the Joytech Xbox 360 control center comes out in the next month or two. I got tired of waiting for it and just got this one instead. I guess I was luckly with only 1 broken input.

I bought this selector as well and all of my ports seem to work fine. I also question the build quality though as there is a large gap between the LCD screen and the main portion of the box. I did try hooking up my DVD player and it kept changing aspect ratios on me. I unplugged it from the selector and put it directly into the TV and I haven't had a problem since. This could indicate a problem with one of my ports.

Overall, I'm ambiguous about this unit. It does look nice in my entertainment center, but I thought it would be better built. I hear there is a more expensive alternative out there, called Zektor but they sell for $200.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #7 of 22 Old 02-16-2006, 04:28 PM

I was thinking of trying this after having problems with the Joytech 240C. I might wait it out now after hearing the quality control problems.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-16-2006, 11:32 PM

Haven't noticed any problems with my System Selector 2.0 yet. Picture quality on 480P from my dreamcast looks fantastic(VGA Box to Component transcoder), as well as the S-Video. The LCD is great, I also think it's cool how the LCD shows what jacks are being used on the selected input.

I bought this switch to compliment my Inday RGB-4X HD Component switcher. I needed something cheap for my older video game systems, where as my Inday handles my higher end consoles(Xbox 360, Gamecube) and my DVD player.

I suppose just keep swapping it out until you get one that works well. Seems like all switchers in this price range have quality issues.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 PM

I needed a switch box so that I could send the signal from my Xbox to my TV and to my capture card. I wanted to do this so I could play on my TV while recording to my computer. The problem is that I needed S-Video to go to the capture card, and component video to go to my TV. I saw this unit, and thought is was the perfect solution. I read somewhere that it couldn't up convert video. "That's ok," I thought. "I'll just hook up a component cable to my xbox, and then the Pro System Selector would down convert the signal so it could go out to my capture card via a S-Video cable."

I bought all the necessary equiptment, and set it up today. For some reason, my capture card wasn't reading the signal from my X-box. I read the manual, and it said that the Pro System Selector couldn't convert different signals at all! Not only can it not up convert (which I understand), it can't down convert also.

So, it's useless for me. It looks nice, and the LCD screen is real nice. Too bad it's useless to me. I'm going to return it.

Now, I was wondering. Does anyone know of a unit like this one, but it has the ability to at least down convert different video sources? Thanks for your time.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM

bump....im in the exact same boat as platinum^^^ need help!
post #11 of 22 Old 03-07-2006, 07:29 PM

So, I'm trying to return the System Selector Pro and I can't find the Product Serial Number. It's nowhere to be found. It's not on the unit, it's not in the manual, where is it? Can anyone tell me, or did they forget to put the sticker on mine, or what?
post #12 of 22 Old 03-07-2006, 10:55 PM

Liked: 17
Ok I have a question about the unit.

I cant quite make out form the pictures what it outputs as far as sound goes. I plan on using 2 of the Optical Audio inputs. Is the only digital audio output option via Coax? I coudlnt make out any Optical Output port.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-09-2006, 12:48 AM

The optical input/output ports are grouped on the lower-right rear corner, right under the ethernet ports.

I'm also looking into one of these units, because for the price it looks pretty good feature-wise... I don't need to upconvert or downconvert, just patch the array of video components I have together so I can easily switch between them all... plus I have two DVD players (one's a DVD-R) and I want to be able to watch a DVD on one while the other one's recording a TV program.

It's too bad that there's the quality-control issues. I may have to hold off on purchasing until more reports trickle in.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 PM

Well, I've got two of these switches and I haven't run into a problem yet. The first one I picked up because I was looking for something to handle a lot of component sources (new HDTV). I've got an Xbox360, Xbox, PS2, GameCube, Cable Box (the SA Time Warner loves foisting upon its victims), Dreamcast, and VCR all running into that one. I'm always broadcasting something on the Cable input (both audio and video, because it takes more than a minute to turn the receiver back on if you turn it off), frequently run games at full 720p from the 360, and have yet to note a problem on any of the inputs. I haven't had the opportunity to fully test the ones near the bottom or the front inputs, but all of the ones with optical channels built in seem to be doing alright.

The second switch I have tested extensively with component video from the Xbox and both optical and analog audio and have had no trouble there as well.

Given the relatively low price point (you can find these things around eighty dollars if you look in the right places), the potential for future expandability (if you're brave, you can mod this thing into a seven-way optical switch - which isn't very hard - and slap on a remote control - which is a little bit trickier), and the volume of available inputs, I'd recommend this to anybody.

Now all I need is an optical-to-digital coax converter for the second switch so I can plug my TV out, my HTPC audio, and everything else into it. By the way, any recommendations in that regard would be very much welcome, as I have heard a lot of different horror stories about some of the converters out there.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to provide an update to my experiences with this unit. I have had it for about 3-4 months now and I have to say that I'm very happy with it. I currently have my Comcast box, Xbox, PS2, and Xbox 360 hooked up to the unit via the Component and Digital Optical ports and everything works perfectly and reliably.

The fact that the unit comes with a remote is great because I can program that remote's functions into my big Sony All-in-One Commander remote so I can have functions that make playing my game systems or watching cable tv a one button affair.

The unit is offered in 3 colors: Black, Silver, and White. These color choices are perfectly matched to most people's entertainment equipment. Although I have a slight gap between the LCD and case, the overall build quality is pretty good, especially where it counts, in the back with all of the connections.

I would definitely recommend this unit if you have way too many HD sources and not enough inputs on your TV or receiver. $70 seems to be a sweetspot for this piece of equipment and I would feel uncomfortable purchasing the $20 gamestop system selector. I would also have trouble justifying the purchase of a $200 higher-end system selector.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #16 of 22 Old 06-08-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got this unit as well, I'm running TWC 8300 DVR, Xbox 360, HC1 HD Camcorder and Xbox via this box. I recorded the HD Net test pattern and it looks like this unit delivers the full HD bandwitch. I don't see any rolloff on the resolution pattern.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

I wanted to provide an update to my experiences with this unit. I have had it for about 3-4 months now and I have to say that I'm very happy with it. I currently have my Comcast box, Xbox, PS2, and Xbox 360 hooked up to the unit via the Component and Digital Optical ports and everything works perfectly and reliably.

The fact that the unit comes with a remote is great because I can program that remote's functions into my big Sony All-in-One Commander remote so I can have functions that make playing my game systems or watching cable tv a one button affair.

The unit is offered in 3 colors: Black, Silver, and White. These color choices are perfectly matched to most people's entertainment equipment. Although I have a slight gap between the LCD and case, the overall build quality is pretty good, especially where it counts, in the back with all of the connections.

I would definitely recommend this unit if you have way too many HD sources and not enough inputs on your TV or receiver. $70 seems to be a sweetspot for this piece of equipment and I would feel uncomfortable purchasing the $20 gamestop system selector. I would also have trouble justifying the purchase of a $200 higher-end system selector.

Hey Quikzilver, Seem you are same as me.. I am very fussy with quality videos and use 1080i love it! 1080i RULEZ!

I AGREED this . Plus use HEAVY duty (Highest quality) HDTV cable also the connectors should be very stight to hold the port connectors. As it's expivense and those will be NO PROBLEM!!

Dr. PC.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 11:01 AM

Does anyone use this with the analog audio inputs? I'm getting video-signal leakthru in my analog audio.

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
post #19 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

Just a bit of warning. I just went through TWO of these from two different gamestops. Each one had at least 3 busted component inputs (distorted colors, wavey lines, etc). I think there is a real build quailty issue with these units.

Sorry off topic but I had the Selector Pro before this one and had to ditch it because if you looked closely at the picture is would have waves in it...

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #20 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 07:58 PM

Liked: 93
I've got one of these, and it just died on me. While the box (which I don't have anymore) states that it has a 5 year warranty, the company doesn't seem to exist on the web. Anyone still with the box, or a way to get ahold of these guys?

It looks like Score is a brand of Performance if that helps any.

Thanks!

Edit: Figured it out. Performance owns Score, and Pelican owns Performance.
post #21 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM

I bought this switcher twice now and both times the picture sort of hiccups, ie. it goes black for 1-2 seconds every now and then. I have component cables hooked up to it. My Comcast digital cable box, PS2, and Xbox. I checked the cables and the tv and they work fine, its just the system selector makes me ticked off that it does it. Anyone else have this problem? Or have I just had bad luck?
post #22 of 22 Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 AM

I get it too, if the scene changes quickly from bright to dark (or vice-versa). I'm also hooked up via component. It doesn't happen that often, so I haven't dumped it yet.

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page