console suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it's really between the xbox and the wii. although I like primarily sports games, I'm leaning towards the wii. the one thing holding me back is the controller...I don't know how I will like that. I like the xbox hd dvd addon. but, I like the virtual console thing a little bit more.

suggestions? maybe a better question is, how long until hd dvd players are priced closer to the xbox add on? and how easy is the controller to adjust to for very casual gamers(I've read the reviews. but, I still dont even like the analog stick on ps2/xbox. I'm old, and like the d-pad)?

the ps3 is a no go for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2006, 02:16 PM

Liked: 44
While I've not yet played the Wii, I do think that the 360 is a better system over the long run given it's wide array of titles and ability to be customized. I took a break from gaming from around 1998 - 2001 and have never really used an analog stick before. It just took a little getting used to and quickly became second nature.

Regarding the HD-DVD add-on drive, I do think it will be a long time before they drop below $199.00, largely due to the already huge gap in prices between stand-alone Blu-Ray players ($800 - $1,500) and HD-DVD players ($400 - $800). The add-on is a terrific value and looks fantastic!
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 PM

Wii's control scheme is too complicated to learn. It's a putoff... i'd rather use a normal controller to play my games.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3an_looi
Wii's control scheme is too complicated to learn. It's a putoff... i'd rather use a normal controller to play my games.
If its too hard to move your hand you shouldnt be playing video games period... :rolleyes:
post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 11:02 PM

The Wii's controller (as well as the games) is designed for the more casual player.

If you want to play games right now, get the Xbox 360. The X360 has grown a decent lineup in the past year.

I suggest you wait until May 2007, when all three current gen systems have a wider library.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 05:30 PM

I own both systems (purchased recently) and they both do differently things equally as well. I have the Wii for kids stuff and when I want a workout (seriously) and the 360 is setup for sim racing. I will eventually have the option of running either into a 32" lcd or my 76" projector screen.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 PM

Liked: 12
Just my $0.02-

I've been reading on various forums that people are getting bored with the wii already. I don't own one but have played a few of my friends units and I can say that I agree that the wii gets old kinda fast. I do own a 360 and while it may seem this "review" is biased I honestly think you will be happier with a 360- Especially if you have an HDTV :D

Either way you go I would suggest (hope this is not against any advertising rules or anything on this forum) getting your console from EBgames or Gamestop simply because the warranty they offer is so good and its only $40. I bought one for my 360 and it covers everything but theft for a year! Store Manager, "Basically if you bring over your console, smash it in the parking lot and scoop all of the parts into the box- We will replace it with a new one on the spot as long as all the parts are there."

Anyways, just my thoughts on the issue :) Have fun

Sony 65W850A | Xbox OneĀ 

Xbox Live: PremiumNapBear

post #8 of 9 Old 12-18-2006, 08:33 PM

Every system becomes boring.

I've played about 18 hours into Zelda: TP and I really enjoy it. But after I finish Zelda? The Wii will sit there until the next game comes out.

I only have Gears of War for the 360 (got the system around the same time as the Wii) and played co-op for about 15 hours, 5 of which I beat the game on Insane difficulty with my friend.

Now it's sitting there, even though there are a few other games worth buying right now.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-24-2006, 12:52 PM

For right now 360 is the best choice. Best library, best online, best interface for a console, best HD support, and best value overall.

I am not a fanboy, I own all 3 systems. If there was only one system for me to pick, it would be 360. It offers the most now, and will probably stay that way for the next 2 years.
Closed Thread General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page