Help choosing TV! Can't. Make. Decision! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I am about to buy my first HDTV. I am a gamer and a regular tv viewer. Normally this would not complicate my choices for purchase. However, I have a soon to be 4 year old son and a 9 month old. I have a Nintendo Wii. Basically, I am worried about damage to the screen.

Originally, my choice had been the Sammy 4095 1080p lcd...but then I got to thinking, what if the kids have a lapse of disciplinary memory and throw something inadvertantly at the tv? I assume the lcd screen couldn't take the hit, correct? The same thing applies with the Wiimote, if it slips from any of our hands...So, I thought about plasma...but I just don't want to deal with the IR issues or the possibility of burn-in. I know, I know, they have come a long way, but I don't want to deal with it....So my next choice is DLP... The screen should take a hit but I really don't want a DLP set as I see the rainbow during fast moving scenes (which bugs the hell outta me)...Video games frequently have fast moving scenes... I was thinking the Sammy 5087 for this.

Price IS a factor here, as I don't want to spend more than $2000 for a set. I want a set that is 1080p and that is partly what is crippling my decision -- I REACH OUT FOR HELP!!!!!!

I'm probably a little too picky, but dammit, I'm spending my own money!

TIA, btw.

Do I have alternatives? I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsantsa
Hi. I am about to buy my first HDTV. I am a gamer and a regular tv viewer. Normally this would not complicate my choices for purchase. However, I have a soon to be 4 year old son and a 9 month old. I have a Nintendo Wii. Basically, I am worried about damage to the screen.

Originally, my choice had been the Sammy 4095 1080p lcd...but then I got to thinking, what if the kids have a lapse of disciplinary memory and throw something inadvertantly at the tv? I assume the lcd screen couldn't take the hit, correct? The same thing applies with the Wiimote, if it slips from any of our hands...So, I thought about plasma...but I just don't want to deal with the IR issues or the possibility of burn-in. I know, I know, they have come a long way, but I don't want to deal with it....So my next choice is DLP... The screen should take a hit but I really don't want a DLP set as I see the rainbow during fast moving scenes (which bugs the hell outta me)...Video games frequently have fast moving scenes... I was thinking the Sammy 5087 for this.

Price IS a factor here, as I don't want to spend more than $2000 for a set. I want a set that is 1080p and that is partly what is crippling my decision -- I REACH OUT FOR HELP!!!!!!

I'm probably a little too picky, but dammit, I'm spending my own money!

TIA, btw.

Do I have alternatives? I
42" Sharp LCD

Just saw the 46" Sharp LCD for $2475 at circuit city
post #3 of 5 Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, but what about the lcd screen taking a hit from a thrown object?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 PM

IMO go with the Olecia 232V. I have one, and it is BEAUTIFUL. As far as I can tell, there is no lag with guitar hero even using composite cabels, so you should be good to go.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I really would like to go no lower than 40" unless something really wows me for a 37" set.
Closed Thread General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page