Jaggies all over - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so i recently just bought a 40 in Samsung lcd tv from bb model # LN-S4051D.
Its fantastic on a borrowed xbox360 with vga cables. but with standard xbox it looks like complete crap. this goes for any other system which would be expected but i would think because most games for xbox are 480p the jaggies would not appear there.

i have the xbox connected via component cables and i have messed around with the video settings in the dashboard a crap ton with no luck.

first off i will mention the most bothersome video effects while playing a game on the xbox.

1. i turn on the xbox. the logo appears and i see about 100-150 vertical lines in different shades. no idea why this happens but usually only happens on the logo and dashboard.

2. occasionally during in game dark scenes (transitions, menus that have a gradient color bar on them, etc) i again see the vertical lines. but this isnt very often.

3. the biggest complaint is the jaggies. now i realize that my tvs native resolution is 1366 x 768 were as the xbox plays 720 x 480. i have tried many things including making the games play regular 480i which there is almost 0 jaggies but the color and contrast is pure ****. any game on 480p though is so jagged you cant even play the game. i have tried a variety of games the 2 biggest being halo 2 and ninja gaiden black.

i know its old technology on a brand new hdtv but i would think jaggies should be gone especially with component 480p sources.

and obviously my ps2 looks like crap but it looks better with its composite cables than with the xbox component.

please help and tell me if there is a solution.

and 1 more thing. the the gradating vertical bars can be seen in almost every scene of final fantasy 7: advent children. this movie being playing on the xbox360.
wtf mate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM

I'm having pretty much the same problem running xbox in 480p through a 56" samsung dlp and through a samsung 24" flatscreen monitor. What gives?

Someone please help! thx
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 PM

ps2 and lcd's do not mix very well the best bet is to get a component cable(red, blue, green) and hook it up that way. Thats the best you'll probobly get
post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Yeah totally get the component cables or better yet pick up the Xploder. A review can be found on Nfggames.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

i got my components for the ps2 recently and it does look a lot better on text and colors but you can see the jaggies better. just because its sending a clearer image.

as for the xbox i still have no idea. this sounds weird but the ps2 plays dvds better than the xbox? i get tons of vertical bars when playing any movie on the xbox and it just ruins everything.

and i was thinking about getting the xploder but its a pain in the ass because you have to load in the disc every time before you play a game and the only setting it actually works on is 480p. i read the review at ign and many other places. most newer games have progressive mode but i havent exactly looked into how you do it yet. it was something like triangle + circle after the ps2 logo. i dont remember.

but thanks for the help.

also the xbox360 may upconvert games to 720p but it still looks like crap :/.
just tried that one recently. the colors are super bland.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page