Questions about scaling VGA/RGB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am currently trying to optimize my gaming setup to achieve the best picture I can (within my budget, of course). I have 2 video game systems--a Naomi and an Atomiswave--both output analog RGB video at 640x480 in 31kHz via a standard 15-pin VGA cable. My 19" LCD panel has a native resolution of 1280x1024 at 60khz. It can accept input via 15-pin VGA or DVI inputs. I have a feeling that the LCD's internal scaler does a less-than-stellar job of upscaling the video signal, so I'd like to use an external scaler to match the LCD's native resolution.

I have searched the forums, but haven't been able to find any posts that deal specifically with this issue. Anyway, I have been considering the following products:

- Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler
- TV One-Task VGA-DVI Converter/Scaler
- TV One-Task PC/HD Converter
- StarTech VGA/HD to DVI-I Scaler/Converter
- XRGB-2+ or XRGB-3 (I don't think either of these will work though)

(Sorry, but since this is only my second post, the system won't let me include any links. )

I have several questions:

1. Will any of these suit my needs? If not, are there any other devices that will work?

2. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products? Can you recommend any particular one (or any other you might have in mind)?

3. Will I actually see any improvement in picture quality versus plugging straight into the monitor?

4. One of the concerns with using a scaler/converter for gaming is latency--Is there any lag using any of these (particularly for scaling from 640x480 to 1280x1024)?

5. Since I really only need an RGB scaler, will using a Scaler/Converter be detrimental in any way?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-05-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody? Bueller?
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List