Is it worth it for me to get an HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm new here obviously and was recommended to come here for good advice. Here's my situation:

I was thinking about upgrading my TV as I currently have a Sony WEGA 37" CRT. It's a decent TV but stupid big n' heavy and showing its age a bit. All that we use it for now is to play our Nintendo Wii and to play PS2 games on. We also watch regular DVD's on it. We don't watch TV (cable or satellite.)

So as you can see, nothing we do involves High Def stuff at this time. I have no issues paying for an HDTV but from what I understand if I buy a nice LCD TV that does 1080p, the picture quality from these non-hd sources will potentially look worse than they would on a SDTV. So my two questions are:

1)Is that a correct assumption?
2)Would you buy a new tv given the above considerations?

I guess I just want a new TV hoping I get a better picture and something that doesn't take up nearly so much room. Thanks for any help and insight you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2007, 08:15 AM

1)Is that a correct assumption?

For the most part, that is correct.

2)Would you buy a new tv given the above considerations?

Nope. Considering the Wii highest level of picture quality is 480p, and PS2 only has a handful of games utilizing 480p, I would say wait until you are playing enough HD-enabled material to warrant a purchase.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
1.) For the most part, yes. Ensuring your potentially new TV to output SD material as a 4:3 image will help, but in general it may look worse.

2.) Depends on what you plan on doing in the future. Any interest in getting HD service? DVD's will certainly look better on an HDTV. Plan on getting a 360? PS3? HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player? If yes to any of these, I would take a gander. You should be able to pick up a ~40" 1080p LCD for around $2K.

IMHO.

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I think I've decided not to get an HDTV at this time. I cannot foresee us doing anything that will use real HD stuff, so I guess I'll just wait until some distant time in the future where we actually will have some stuff that uses it. Again, thanks for the input!
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page