Optimal Theater Setup w/ Panny 42", 360, HD DVR, crappy receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1st, I'd like to thank everyone who posts--it has really helped me out.

my setup:
Panny 42" plasma
comcast/scientific atlanta explorer 8300 HD DVR HDMI to TV, optical cable to receiver
xbox 360 w/ component HD output, rca audio to tv
old Sony receiver w/ NO component/hdmi inputs/outputs
2 yr old Sony progressive scan DVD player (component to tv, optical to receiver)
infinity RS tower/center/rear/sub speakers

questions (few pains in the butt):
1. i hate having to press so many buttons to switch from watching STB to playing xbox. currently, i have to change input on tv with tv remote and then change input on receiver with receiver remote. i cannot control the receiver using the universal capabilites of the tv remote. the receiver remote can obv. change the input on the tv, but that's about it.

2. i can only adjust the volume on the system using the receiver remote.

3. (OT for this forum section, but if you know) is it worth getting an upconverting DVD player? the current picture from the sony dvd player is pretty much perfect for layperson like myself. i do have $150 in best buy gift cards to splurge.

any suggestions/modifications?

are there remotes out there than will control the TV (inputs/aspect ratio/menus, etc)/ HD DVR (most option of recording and playing) / crappy receiver / DVD player?

i would gladly spend a few $ to be able to program a decent remote that would switch everything on the various pieces.

edit: i do not want to buy a new receiver at this time. i want to wait for a bit for the decent ones with HDMI switching come down in price.

thanks all and happy new year,

seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm running a Xbox 360, Onkyo 5.1 with the Panasonic. I purchased a nice learning remote but never took it out of the box. I guess I found it just as easy to hit a few buttons when changing from a game, DVD player, DVD recorder and STB. It freaks out my in laws if they come over to watch the kids and want to watch a DVD...but hey. I have the Oppo 971 upconverting DVD player. I see a little difference over progressive scan but not enough. I would save my money and get a real HD player. Hope this helps a little.
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page