Will EDTV look better then HDTV for a Wii/ps2 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I havea 50" LCD HDTV and no surprise my ps2 and Wii look bad (not because of the graphics but the nature of of HDTV i'm guessing) I have both running on component.

Would a PS2 or Wii (which perfer a 480p res) look better on say a EDTV as or just a smaller tv say 32 ..or both. I just notice that alot of the game video's I watch of say Zelda look nothing like what my TV looks (they looks much sharper and cleaner) so I assume its the TV as when I use my ps2 on a 27' sdtv is looks great (so logically following that a EDTV would be top of the line for a Wii/ps2) but do I lose picture quality the bigger the set as the smallest EDTV I can find is a plasma 42"

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 AM

Liked: 11
This is a great question. How about old school consoles like nes, snes, etc would it look great on an EDTV or look as bad as if you hook it up to a regular HDTV?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 PM

It should look better - in fact, the Nintendo Wii and an EDTV have the same output - 480p

With a lower native resolution, old consoles should look better.

Strictly speaking, a larger T.V will have lower quality because it will have larger pixels, so unless you're at a distance... but for a 42" TV if you're sitting more than 12 feet away...
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How does the PS2 look on the 720p LCD. I am thinking to buy either a 32 or 37 inch LCD soon. Is it gonna be streched out w/ fat, stretched figure? Or I will be better off w/ my 27" tube TV?
Thanks,
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 PM

I have played nes and other older consoles like N64 and Dreamcast on my 106" EDTV projector and i think they looked pretty good even compared to a smaller set.

And to tt08 The ps2 should have settings in the game to make it fit your tv.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 460
This same subject (more or less) has been exhausted elsewhere on this forum. The question was will progressive scan DVD (480p) look better on an EDTV than an HDTV?

Personally I resist the notion that HDTV somehow makes EDTV broadcasts look worse. I've listened to the arguments about scaling and blahblahblah but IMO I think they're bunk. I WILL, however, buy that SD looks like crap on HD as the whole de-interlacing process leaves alot to be desired. Getting back to 480p, I liken watching EDTV on an HDTV as putting a magnifying glass to a print picture in a magazine- essentially you're revealing the flaws of a low resolution picture. This is only compounded as the screen gets larger. The larger the display the more magnified the flaws of the 480p picture become.

This was a subject I was sensitive about when choosing a screen size. For HDTV at my viewing distance (about 8 feet) I wanted a 46", but as 90% of my viewing was going to be 480p and SDTV I decided to go with a 37". The 37" isn't as cinematic as I'd like but at least I can watch my DVD's and SDTV without a contorted look on my face.

For the record, in addition to a 480p DVD player I have a PS2 and GameCube connected thru component and a Dreamcast via VGA. On all three systems the picture is excellent given the game supports the 480p output (practically all GC titles, most Dreamcast, and a few PS2 titles). My only complaint is contrary to the last poster ALOT of games do not have an option for widescreen.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page