Signal Interference/Flickering? on PS2/Wii. Need Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this problem for over 3 weeks now, and it's driving me up the wall. I purchased a Samsung 4095D, and have been experiencing a problem with both the PS2 and now the Wii when I have them hooked up to the TV via component. I get these transparent, wavy lines that flicker from top to bottom of the picture. On bright areas it's nearly invisible, but it shows up during darker colors (that includes blue). However, hooking both systems up via composite doesn't have this problem, and HDMI and DVI are unaffected. Even the HD receiver, hooked by component, along with the Gamecube have been unaffected (there was one instance in both machines where the problem showed up, but all I had to do was jiggle the cables a little and it cleared up; the Wii and PS2 haven't been as fortunate).

I replaced the PS2's component cables twice (both official and even monster brand), but it didn't help things. I even tried replacing the PS2 itself, but no change. I even exchanged the TV yesterday for the same model, thinking it was a problem with the set, but the problem is still there.

So it's not an issue with the systems or the TV, and everything else checks out. The source has to either be an electrical issue (I'm not sure if this is ground looping or something else, but I tried a Monster brand HD surge protector from Radio Shack that was said to "clean" electrical power, but once again it didn't help), or an issue with the component cables. I could really use your help here, as I've run out of ideas (someone from Samsung is coming to inspect the situation, but I don't know if they'll be able to fix it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM

This is funny because I've recently have had the same problem with my Wii. The strange thing is that its only been happening recently, like the past week. and I've had my Wii since launch day. We are both in the same situation. coincidentially, I also have the Wii hooked up through component and I also have a Monster surge protector AND I am using a Samsung HDTV, except it is the Slimfit CRT.
From what I've learned is that it is an electrical problem. Wanna know what gave it away??
TRY THIS: switch your TV to the HDMI input, then turn on your wii. Strangely you should see the same interference.

Well, too bad I havent found a solution either. lemme know what happens when the Samsung guy comes over.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

I seem to have found the cause; try removing only the red and white audio cables from the TV, but leave the red, green, and blue cables hooked up. This gives you the picture without sound, but the interference should disappear. It did for me at least.

I could just hook up the audio to my receiver now, but I was wondering if there was some sort of adaptor that can shield the interference that the audio cables are giving the video cables.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2007, 09:46 AM

It seems we both are dealing with two seperate, yet similar problems. I tried removing just the audio cables but the flickering did not disappeared. Im thinking of possibly replacing my Wii power cable. And if that doesn't work im thinking of bringing over a friends Wii and seeing if the problem persist. I will probably call Nintendo about it today. Maybe they have encountered the problem with other consoles. BELEIVE ME, Nintendo is always quick to replace products, No Questions Asked.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 PM

guys i'm having the same problem with my wii and plasma and its driving me nuts when i remove the audio cables the lines reduce but don't go away completely i know its been a while since u guys posted but anythin new to report how did u guys fix it ?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 AM

Same thing here... I was starting to think I was alone

My PAL PS2 is also connected to a Samsung 32" S86 LCD TV via a component cable. The interference you are talking about is more or less noticeable depending on the predominant colors onscreen. It's rather annoying, for instance, when playing Haunting Ground, but almost invisible with many other games.

Some days ago a friend of mine drop by with his XBOX 360 and things just got even worse on the 360 with the same componente cable.

I also have a pair of Homeplug 85mbps PLC network adapters at home and I figured out that the interference rose to an unacceptable extent when they were actually transmitting data and completely disappeared when unplugged... so you're right, the source of the problem must be electrical.

All my gear is connected to a surge supressor that seems incapable of filtering this thing out, but I've been able to greatly reduce the interference by connecting (only) the PS2 to an old UPS I had at home (even though the battery is damaged and cannot keep the energy in case of a blackout).

At this moment the interference:

- Is not visible when PLCs in standby (but alive).
- Barely noticeable when PLC transmitting.

Bad news is that if I configure the PS2 for 480p, 720p or 1080i output (my TV doesn't go higher than that) interference is back, specially in the latter two.

I am going to try removing audio cables as you advice (I remember having heard strange noises coming from a nearby hifi amplifier when the interference was most evident) and tell you what happens then.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2008, 09:17 AM

I've just tried unplugging audio cables from the tv but to no avail: the flickering is unaffected :-(
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page