HDTV, Receiver & Console Hook-up Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm pretty much a newbie to the whole surround sound set-up world, so ANY help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

Okay, I'll start with what I'm working with. Sony XBR3 LCD, BRAVIA Theatre System (basically a DVD/Receiver surround sound in a box) PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii. As of right now, I have the PS3, BRAVIA receiver and Motorola cable box all connected to the TV through each of it's (3) HDMI inputs. The PS3 is connected to the receiver via a fiber optic cable, and the cable box is connected to the receiver via standard audio cables (red & white). The Xbox 360 and Wii are both connected to the TV directly with component cables, and therefore are not benefitting from any surround sound at the moment.

Now, my questions are as follows:

1.) I originally tried connecting my cable box to the receiver via a digital coaxial cable, but when I do that, I lost the surround sound capability with the PS3 which is connected to the receiver via digital fiber optic cable. Can the receiver only receive one digital source, even though they're two different cables?? That is why I had to switch to the red & white cables for the TV!!

2.) Should I ditch the BRAVIA DVD/Receiver in favor of a true receiver that has multiple optical inputs and multiple HDMI input/outputs? What I have currently only has one of each!

3.) Is there anything I can do to get surround sound for the Xbox 360 or Wii based on the above scenario?

Thanks in advance!!! I'm really enjoying this forum!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmmmm...I could not learn much about your reciever there. Though I have some general ideas.

SOme of your devices may be trying to output through the same channel; there may be settings in your receiver that need to be managed, though it may not have them.

You can get a switch box really cheap that will allow you to plug your components into it and then into the receiver. Most switched use buttons but there are automatic ones. They start at $10 for one that will do the job, but good ones cost alot more.

Another receiver with HDMI inputs might serve you well, but generally, after all is said and done, costs alot more.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
1.) Are you switching the input on the receiver when you switch between PS3/cable? Normally, you assign one digital input to one source (e.g., Video 1, Video 2, etc.), and the other to another one (e.g., TV, Video 3, etc.).

2.) That's up to you. The way I see it, you have 3 digital audio sources (PS3, 360, and BRAVIA DVD). Personally, yes, I would get a receiver that has more digital inputs, or as Trebuken said, get a switcher, but for digital audio.

3.) The Wii only outputs analog audio, so no on that. It does do Dolby Pro Logic II, if your receiver supports that. To use the optical digital audio port on the 360, you would need something as I said in #2, either a new receiver with more inputs, or a digital audio switcher.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page