Help picking out a new TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been doing nothing but research, reading all the arguments on what format is better and why(720p or 1080p). I've read arguments on one TV being better then the other, but I really haven't heard anything from the gaming community. Now, I will be using my TV to watch movies, shows, but I will be doing a LOT of gaming. I rather have a TV that makes gaming look better. Does not having an Elite matter if I want a 1080p set? I do have VGA cords that I use on my 19" monitor, but will it give me a 1080p signal on a TV? Basically, can someone, ANYONE, point me out to a nice GAMING TV for a budget of $2000-$2500? I would rather not spend $2500, so I don't want to max out that limit if I don't have to, but if i must, I must.

Help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome to the community. I'm new myself.

I echo your question, but I would suggest doing some reading thru this post (which I haven't yet) because I'm sure this question has been address 100 times.

But since you already asked, I echo your question. I'm sure this debate is as old as HDTV's are. I want to hook up my computer to a 42"- 55" HDTV to play PC Games on. It's also likely that I would use it for movies, but video games (pc games specifically) would be it's primary use.

I heard a plasma has no ghosting and is best, but I don't know. I'll continue to research, but shout out if you have opinions.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 PM

I am looking for an HDTV for similar purposes. I figure there are a few criteria that a TV would really have to meet.

First of all, I want 1080p. This seems to be the standard and I don't expect to see any higher formats for a while. Should I expect to?

Second, I would like the TV to accept 1080p signals via component cables. I know it's possible, but I have also heard that most TVs do not do this. I have a 360 with no HDMI so this is rather necessary.

Third, I would like the lowest amount of lag possible. Is there a TV that approaches a normal SDTV in terms of response time?

Since I also have a lot of older systems with less capable video outputs, I would prefer if the image did not look like crap when I play it on the TV. This is what has held me off of an HDTV for so long - poor support for NES games. However, I expect to play mostly the current generation and past generation of games on this TV, so it is not the most important issue.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 AM

I would look into getting a RPTV. I had the Sony KDS-60XBR2 and it looked great with Wii (including Virtual console) and PS3 (upscaled PS2 and native PS3) and also worked great for a HTPC. I never detected any lag, and there was no chance/fear of burn-in.

One caveat would be the lamps, but the KDS-60XBR2 came with a replacement lamp, so you would be set for years to come. The other issue is the size--although newer models (new XBR5) are thinner, they do take up a lot of space compared to a flat panel--but for the size and money can't do much better.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM

The 2006 plasma line from Panasonic (60U/600U) has a reputation for minimal-to-no gaming lag. I've played extensively on a 42" 60U and perceived no lag. I've also done some in-store testing and determined the lag on 42" and 50" sets to be less than 1 frame.

I have no idea if this has carried over to the 2007 line.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page