PC game lag - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Windows Vista home premium computer with an NIVIDA 8500GT graphics card with 256MB, an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 each core operates at 2.4 GHz, 2 x 4 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB. I have a 500 GB SATA II hard drive. Dual channel 2048 MB DDR2 memory, Memory Card Reader 15-in-1. I have a 32-bit operating system and 2030 MB of rams. My problem is, however, that I have constant game lag while playing all next gen gaming titles (offline). Games such as Bioshock, Jericho, Call of Duty 4, ect. I am not able to play these games on the highest graphic settings without lag, (sometimes not even fair graphic settings). I don't understand why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the 8500GT isn't exactly a powerhouse of a video card, so chances are it just can't handle the new games at the settings you're running.

Try lowering resolution as well as turning down the graphic settings and see what happens. If things are good at the lower setting then either live with those visuals, or look into a video card upgrade.

I'd also recommend picking up a program called 'FRAPS'. It will tell you what framerate your getting while playing the game, so if you see this dropping into the 20's-teens, then that's a definite indication that the graphics card just isn't strong enough.

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

Also, you might want to elaborate on what you mean by 'lag'.

Also I'm not sure if you're supposed to be hocking credit cards in your 'sig'... How is the lectern business anyway?
post #3 of 5 Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Yea, I'd seriously recommend a video card upgrade to something with 512mb of VRAM. I believe the 8800 GT can be had for $200 right now.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-11-2007, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Games rely more on the graphics card than anything else.
For high resolutions or max settings you need lots of vram on your graphics card. 512mb or more.
You also need a powerful graphics processor. Not necessarily the fastest but at least the next one down.
I have an 8800gts w/640mb vram and The Crysis Demo is so demanding that my old 4800X2 only runs 75% on both cores because the graphics card can't run any faster.
Your 8500 would probably freeze up on that game.
You can turn the settings down to medium and if you still have trouble then turn down things like shadows, water, textures in that order.
That new 8800gt/512 is a great deal on a gamer card.
Good luck
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2007, 01:51 AM

Try some performance tunning too. You can do alot by setting your memory timings, killing background proccesses your dont need, even with a stock cooler recent intel CPU's are very responsive to overclocking. I cant think of any off the top of my head but there are lot's of tweak guides out there. Careful tunning of your system can make a huge differnce in performance.
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page