alternative to Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
the worsening quality of comcast cable service (both TV and Internet) is really ticking me off, but the local Yahoo DSL available is way too slow.

is there any website where i can enter my address and it'd tell me all the options i have as far as TV/Internet services go? i have tried typing my address for Verizon FiOS but my address never comes up in the search.

problems noted lately with comcast include:
1. severe compression artifacts on cable TV, i get some orange spots running around on TNT and also very noticeable compression problems in football games, very easily seen when watching the grass.
2. i'm a fairly heavy WoW player, and very recently i start to get disconnects during raids in the game. i went to the forums and Comcast P2P restrictions is pointed to as the culprit for my issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try U-verse.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Try U-verse.

not available
post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Liked: 10
try dslreports.com and click "find service" at the top. might help steer you in the right direction. also, your local city office should have a list. afterall, they will definately have a list of ISPs to collect taxes from.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This site gives you the internet options in your area, which usually equals TV offerings as well:

http://www.wifi.com/p_broadband_sear...FQixsgodoQIk8g

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Information on that wifi site is no longer accurate; according to it, ComCast cable internet is only $43 per month...it's actually as much as $60-$75 a month just for cable internet, and I've heard of poor sods who have to pay over $100 a month for cable TV and cable internet.

But that site got one thing right: no one else in Houston provides cable internet. At least no one else I can find.

My only regret is that ComCast does not have a single throat that I can strangle.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateComcast View Post

Information on that wifi site is no longer accurate; according to it, ComCast cable internet is only $43 per month...it's actually as much as $60-$75 a month just for cable internet, and I've heard of poor sods who have to pay over $100 a month for cable TV and cable internet.

But that site got one thing right: no one else in Houston provides cable internet. At least no one else I can find.

My only regret is that ComCast does not have a single throat that I can strangle.

lol, love the username

I switched from Comcast to Verizon DSL based on the notion that FiOS was coming to our area (their local website slated our street for a Sept. '06 install). Of course it never came and I'm suffering with crappy pings on Tekken 5: DR online.

I called Comcast back in a moment of weakness because the DSL decided to shut itself off in the middle of a game on the weekend but Comcast will charge a $100 setup fee in addition to it being $60/mo just for cable internet alone. Of course I didn't want to pay that so I'm "stuck" with DSL for now.

The state of broadband in the US is really depressing

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

but Comcast will charge a $100 setup fee in addition to it being $60/mo just for cable internet alone.(

Ah, good 'ol Comcrust. They better ride the monopoly horse as long as they can. If they can ever be knocked off, they will be trampled. Good riddance! Shoddy DSL will always be better than Comcrust's price gouging, spamtastic advertising, and 1930s-quality TV service.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Almost near dumping comcast. No need for it.

Comcast is at the basic bottom rate of $14.98 a month. All my HD channels are over the air. The rest from DVD, HDDVD, BD. DSL is my internet.

Almost rid of comcast.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 AM

I would kill to be able to dump Comcast. Our broadband internet connection comes and goes at random intervals. Upload speeds are totally unacceptable. Our Comcast phone service is so bad that I'm ready to re-up with AT&T. No time/date stamp on voice mail AND phone refuses to disconnect at hang-up (so phones rings repeatedly as many as 8 times before disconnecting). Customer service is non-existant. I'd been perfectly content with RoadRunner. No FIOS Verizon available. Forget DSL. So far, only the tv HD cable is satisfactory. I have never hated a company the way I hate Comcast.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2008, 05:10 AM

I guess I am the only one with good service from Comcast. I pay about $55 per month total for TV and internet. However I am paying for only 25 channels (basic service). Around here Comcast is the only option unless you switch to dish and local DSL.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page