Help deciding on video capture device. Lots of questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I'm fairly new here and hope I'm not on the wrong board for this, but I need your guys help.

I am looking to buy an HD video capture device for my Playstation 3, so I can capture video directly from the console, and then play it back and edit it etc. on my PC.
I have no clue about these things. I see many capture devices in ads a lot like WinHauppage(SP?), Pinnacle, Dazzle etc, but most of them seem to be devices for a TV with a coaxial connector or input. I want to say that devices people have used for consoles often use the S-video port. Is this what I want? Will I be able to capture and output my signal through HDMI(and audio through optical), with the device plugged in, or will I have to plug the device in, and somehow output the screen to my TV from there.
Also what size(mbs/gbs) do these things come in? Do they even have built in memory? Also I read in a review somewhere that a device claimed to be "HD" but the quality was horrible. Is there any way to know?

Thanks in advance, I really would appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately none of those consumer HDTV capture devices will do what you're looking for. Most capture devices are designed to record the compressed signal that is sent either OTA or via Cable/Satellite (mpeg2/h264/etc.), while what you're looking to do is to capture the uncompressed video signal that is being sent for display.

I believe that most of the websites use a Digital Foundry unit to create their Direct Feed HD Videos of games, but they're not exactly cheap...

http://www.digitalfoundry.org/

http://www.ps3court.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245

Quote:

Digital Foundry HD Capture
Digital Foundry HD is an exclusive hardware design able to capture video from ANY current or next gen video games system – the only HD capture system in the world exclusively dedicated to grabbing pristine quality video games footage
Available in two configurations – Portable and Extreme
Captures straight to disk, with 1TB of RAID0 storage
Our technology can capture practically any working resolution at 60fps up to resolutions of 1280x768
Digital Foundry HD Portable is perfect for on-site HD capture – essential for media outlets
Full support for Xbox 360 HD resolution of 1280x720 at 60fps
The only HD capture solution capable of interfacing via analogue component, DVI, VGA and unencrypted HDMI directly with no converter hardware
Both YUV 4:2:2 and 24-bit RGB capture supported, dependent on resolution selected and whether using Portable/Extreme configuration
Any frame captured can be extracted and used as a perfect quality screenshot – ideal for media and developer use
Can capture into the mathematically lossless Huffyuv codec, or into the world-renowned CineForm HD compression system
CineForm HD AVI files can be used immediately in the market-leading Prospect HD Premiere Pro 2.0 editing environment
CineForm HD files at 720p/60 playback in real-time on most dual core PCs – perfect for presentations, event usage etc
All Digital Foundry HD captures can be dropped right into any VFW/AVI-based application, including Sony Vegas, Windows Media Encoder, After Effects, Combustion or VirtualDub
To find out more about licensing Digital Foundry HD, please contact richard.leadbetter@digitalfoundry.org

I believe there are other hardware solutions available, but afaik these devices are prohibitively expensive.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Matrox also has hd capture, but they are not cheap. I think most people just use fraps.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page