AVS Forum banner

PS3 or XBOX 360??

12K views 125 replies 57 participants last post by  FootballDen 
#1 ·
I will be getting one of these 2 systems for Xmas and would like some input as to which console would best suit my needs. Here are some important factors:

1. Am mostly a sports gamer. I've read where some people have observed FPS issues with some PS3 sports games, but not all report problems. Otherwise, it seems both systems are relatively even, though MLB the Show interests me alot on PS3.

2. I am interested in using the console as a DVD player, which seems to favor the PS3 with the BRay built-in. What other advantages does the PS3 have over the XBOX360 in this regard?

3. I'm likely limited in spending only $400 for the system, unless I were to just ask for it in cash and save up for the more expensive versions. If I choose xbox360, I'll save the $50 up for the elite for sure. Is there a valid reason I'd want the 80GB PS3 over the 40GB version? I have no ps2 games, so that's not a consideration. I would prefer to buy the 40 and save $100, but am a little concerned the 40 GB may be limited in some way in the future (not sure the concern is valid, however).

4. Using the console as a media center isn't a primary factor right now, but I would like to know which console is better as I may be interested in this in the future.

I have been leaning towards a PS3 purchase and would like some input as I make my decision. I will be using the console on a 52" LCD RP 720p, if that matters. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

See less See more
#52 ·
If you care about playing games at all, then the xbox 360 is clearly the better choice. Although it may not have the impressive specs or the Blu-Ray player like the PS3, it's game library blows away the PS3. Just compare the list of exclusives on the 360 to the Ps3 and try to convince yourself the PS3 is better because it has a Blu-Ray player. Not to mention if you plan on playing online at all then there really isn't even a debate.

#53 ·
I have both, and am pretty non biased. The Xbox 360 has better games and better graphics. Nothing has come close to Gears of War yet on either system (Uncharted and Heavenly Sword look and play stupid compared to Gow, Bioshock, and Halo 3).

BUT, PS3 has Blu ray and is getting some great games soon. FF13 and MGS4 are going to be must-haves. PS3 is also a sweet media player. The Xbox360 fans and drive make it sound like it's trying to launch the space shuttle, and judging from all the heat it releases I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original purpose of it.

#54 ·
Right now the 360 has more and better games than the PS3. But as soon as developers start taking advantage of storage space on BD and programming games for the CELL, there will be no contest. The 360's RROD and noise issues are a result of the hardware being pushed to it's absolute limit. Just my opinion. If you go to Japan, the PS3 rules. BTW, I am jealous of Bioshock and Mass Effect and am getting a 360 too.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/12536876

Right now the 360 has more and better games than the PS3. But as soon as developers start taking advantage of storage space on BD and programming games for the CELL, there will be no contest. The 360's RROD and noise issues are a result of the hardware being pushed to it's absolute limit. Just my opinion. If you go to Japan, the PS3 rules. BTW, I am jealous of Bioshock and Mass Effect and am getting a 360 too.

You sound like you came from the kiddie forums with this post.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/12539745

You sound like you came from the kiddie forums with this post.

Ok, so prove me wrong Mr. 3000 posts.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/12540390

Ok, so prove me wrong Mr. 3000 posts.

No need to I am sure you will make your mark here.

#59 ·
Just thought I would chime in. I have a PS3 and wanted an A/V set up, but strongly considered the 360. My thinking was:

1) Free online gaming (FREE NOT BETTER)

2) FREE BD (BD players $300-400 stand alone)

3) NOT MICROSOFT!

I really like my PS3 and love Ratchet and Clank, Drake's fortune and Spiderman 3.

I guess I just think it can do more all around although the X box seems to be a better pure console. In this day and age with media centers and home theater I think you have to consider the overall picture. And what the kids want!

#60 ·
I own both and for your needs honestly a PS3 would probably suit you. Its media capabilities are better and its hardware quite frankly embarrasses 360. The EA sports games are better on 360 this year, keep in mind they have had an extra year to work on the hardware (and the first Madden 360 could easily have been the worst Madden ever made). If the PS3 version of Madden 09 is still worse than 360 I would be very surprised. Of course, no way to find out right now.

The 360 is brilliant as a pure game machine, with superb titles across the gaming spectrum and the best online gaming system out there (including PC, and PS3's is really terrible). But it sounds like you don't care about that stuff. The system's DVd player is awful, you have to pay extra for a (really ugly) HD-DVD kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozsterHD /forum/post/0

In comparison, Mass Effect, Halo 3, PGR4 and any game really you want loads pretty fast. It's the fact that Blu-Ray drive spins at 2x while DVD drive spins at 12x. There's a huge difference. It's technically impossible that PS3 doesn't load slower. It's drive is SLOWER.

This is true, and that is why many games make a cache on the hard drive of a few hundred megs. That speeds up the load times.

#61 ·
 http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2549777

here you go , this model has been discontinued since january / febuary and its still avalible at $200 LESS than it was just 10 months ago.

the ps3 just isn't popular and sales are backing that up in both hardware and software. The longer this goes on the worse its going to be . More and more devs will back away from making exclusive games. Not onyl that but the ps3 will cointue to get crappy ports from the 360 .

#62 ·

Quote:
But the main problem I see with the 360 as a piece of A/V equipment is the operating noise of the machine. In a perfectly quiet room, the 360 has a minor operating noise level that may or may not be objectionable to the OP. However, throw a disk in a 360 -- especially a 360 game -- and the system is simply too loud for a quiet room. Most people respond with "but the sound from the game or movie is blasting through my sound system, who can hear the 360?"... this is not an acceptable retort IMO -- I demand my A/V equipment to be no louder than a whisper in a quiet room. That is one of the reasons I come to this forum. It's also where the PS3 is far superior to the 360.

This is no longer a concern and hasn't been one since the second batch of elites came out 5 or so months ago. The new 65nm cpu systems are very quiet and are on par with the better ps3s out there.

Not to mention that at $350 bucks with 2 games and a hd dvd add on with king kong , 5 free mail ins and whatever special of the week there is you end up getting alot more content for your buck over the ps3.

The ps3 comes with no games and I believe no free movies now (unless you buy a 20 gig with talahega nights or find a 40 gig unit with spiderman still in it as i believe it was limited to 200k units or so) and 5 free mail in movies. So with the 360 your gaining 2 games which could amount up to $120 on the ps3 depending on how you value the agmes and most likely a free hd dvd or so

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd /forum/post/12546696

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2549777

here you go , this model has been discontinued since january / febuary and its still avalible at $200 LESS than it was just 10 months ago.

LOL.

First of all, that link, your link, says the item is not available.

Second of all, the reason the 20gb was discontinued was because nobody wanted to buy it. When it was available it sold about 1/10th of the 60gb. So, yea, pointing to a version of a system discontinued because it was undesirable is not the way to prove the system in any form is undesirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd /forum/post/0

This is no longer a concern and hasn't been one since the second batch of elites came out 5 or so months ago. The new 65nm cpu systems are very quiet and are on par with the better ps3s out there.

The main cause of the 360's noise is the dvd drive and its still loud as hell.

#64 ·
IT was in stock a few days ago , check neogaf and beyond3d for threads on people buying it as of the 17th

As for the dvd drive , its not loud as hell . In my house I have an xbox 360 launch unit and yes that drive is very loud. I also have an elite from the end of october that has the 65nm cpu and a ben q drive and its very very quiet when watching a movie.

Of course my movie watching is limited on the system as I have an a3 that i use. I rather not kill my console drive watching movies on it. I still ahve nightmares of the ps2 drive dieing in 4 months when it was my primary dvd player back at its launch

#65 ·

Quote:

IT was in stock a few days ago , check neogaf and beyond3d for threads on people buying it as of the 17th

Again, read what I wrote. You claimed the fact they were available meant the system was undesirable. I explained why this was a fallacy. So whatever.

Quote:

As for the dvd drive , its not loud as hell . In my house I have an xbox 360 launch unit and yes that drive is very loud. I also have an elite from the end of october that has the 65nm cpu and a ben q drive and its very very quiet when watching a movie.

I guess there's no point in getting in some sort of back and forth ********, but yea, I know what an elite with a BenQ sounds like. Its definitely better but still loud and not as quiet as a PS3. Especially a 40gb PS3. As for killing your console, well, a lot of people on these forums use PS3s as their primary Blu-Ray player without a problem. I agree, though, about the 360 - its best to put as little stress on them as possible.

#66 ·
There's quite a bit of variety in the 360 disc drives still. Some run quieter than others, but on the whole they run much louder than the PS3 drives (which also vary between consoles).

Of course, that's all moot in my case since my PC fan runs louder than both of the consoles' disc drives combined. Damn, no good, 2003-made, piece-of-crap rig.

#67 ·

Quote:
Again, read what I wrote. You claimed the fact they were available meant the system was undesirable. I explained why this was a fallacy. So whatever.

Um you made excuses for why a verison of the ps3 that ended production last year was still not sold out as of this sept .

The 20 gig unit lacked memory card readers and wifi .

The 40 gig unit lacks memory card readers and backwards compatbility.

I don't think that there wasn't demand just for the 20 gig unit, there isn't demand for any unit

Quote:
guess there's no point in getting in some sort of back and forth ********, but yea, I know what an elite with a BenQ sounds like. Its definitely better but still loud and not as quiet as a PS3. Especially a 40gb PS3. As for killing your console, well, a lot of people on these forums use PS3s as their primary Blu-Ray player without a problem. I agree, though, about the 360 - its best to put as little stress on them as possible.

Lol what a troll post.

The 40 gig ps3s are quiet for the most part but not everyone wants a 40 gig nor are all of them made equaly , check other forums and read about the horrible fan noise some of them make.

As for stressing the 360. I wouldn't worry about it . My launch unit has been played regularly for 40 hours or so a week since launch . Since we purchased the elite the gaming time has begun to slid on it as we have two units instead of 1 .

My 360 is just fine.

With the ps3 , xbox 360 , or any other system the more you use the optical drive the larger the chance of it failing or just going bad go up.

For example if you normaly game 6 hours a week on a console that is 6 hours spent on it . Watching a movie may add another 2 hours to that tally . that means your weekly use of the optical drive is increasing what 33.3 percent . The more you use your console for either tax the more strain you will put on it.

The ps2 has huge problems in its first year with dieing dvd drives because people were using them to not only play their games but play their movies also .

#68 ·
I chose to go with the PS3 because of the blu-ray. I only play sports games also. I also don't want to replace my system 2 or 3 times like many 360 owners have had to do. The games on the PS3 look incredible as well as the blu-ray movies. I also have an HD-A2 so I am format neutral because I like about 20 movies on both and I got the A2 cheap!! I also got the PS3 on ebay for $345 with 5 FREE movies + Spiderman 3 that came with 40GB PS3, which I didn't want so I sold them back on ebay. I made almost $100 for them so in essence I got the PS3 and A2 + Madden 08 for less than I would have paid for PS3 at BB or CC!

#69 ·
I own all the now current gen systems, and for me hands down the 360 is the way to go. It just gives you a better gaming experience. Honestly speaking I just ordered my first two PS3 games since I got it on launch day. I just don't think the list of games on it stands up to the titan the 360 games library is. Add to that most games that are ported between the two systems are generally geared more towards the 360 hardware and don't run as well on the PS3. Take the EA SPORTS games this year. 30 frames per second on PS3 compared to 60 frames per second on 360. Go with the 360 and you will have a much better gaming experience if you can't get them both.

#71 ·
My input.

360 -

Best Gaming system.. Biggest Gaming Library.. Best Exclusive games.. Best Online Multiplayer Game experience

Movie playback 2nd best.. But I honestly have no complaints with the quality of upscaled DVD movies on the 360.

Best Computer intergration and Multimedia sharing abilities (Windows Media Center and Media Sharing built into the 360)

PS3 -

Best Movie player.. BR/DVD playback superb..

Game library still questionable.. Exclusive titles not very popular with the mainstream gamer.. Multiplatform Titles available on both consoles usually look/play equal or a little worse on the PS3..

Pretty much every EA title play worse on the PS3. (Especially Sports, you said sport games were important)

Very Good Multimedia multimedia playback abilities and Good Computer sharing abilities

You really cant lose with either. But Id say decide which is your higher priority. Games or Movies.

If its Games get the 360

If its Movies get the PS3

#72 ·
Hey guys, don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm in the same boat as pfalvey-- weighing my options between the 360 and Ps3.

That said, I've got a few very specific questions. I just stepped up to a receiver with full HDMI 1.3a connectivity, so I'll now be able to play multichannel PCM (and eventually TrueHD and DTS-Master bitstreams) over my 5.1 setup. I'm kind of itching to try it out, so it's kind of disappointing that the xbox 360 doesn't have any multichannel PCM output either in games or from their HD-DVD add-on drive.

My question is this: which console has better sound? Does the multichannel PCM output from the PS3 really sound that much better? Please answer this if you are using the HDMI audio output of the PS3 in your home theater.

Basically, I feel like I'm leaning toward the 360 right now, because I would like to get into online gaming (Halo3 and Cod4 to be specific). But then, I also like the ps3's Blu-Ray player and multichannel PCM output in games- and I feel like their games library will get better with time.

I know some of you guys have both systems, so it'd be good to hear how they stack up in terms of audio and home theater.

#73 ·
For what it's worth, here's my opinion, as someone with both systems in my set up.

For games, the clear winner is the 360. Not even close right now. PS3 may one day catch up but there's no way I would spend $400 on a gaming system that will be fun to play in a year or two. Get a 360. Easy call.

For movies, the PS3 is the better choice. Blu-ray out of the box (as oppossed to the HD add-on for the 360) PCM multichannel output and excellent upscaling for DVD. Closer than the gaming decision but the PS3 wins. Then again you could just buy a Blu-ray player.

Both of my systems are hooked up using HDMI for both audio and video running through a Yamaha RX-1800 to an Optoma HD70 720p projector.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee20 /forum/post/12567283

Hey guys, don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm in the same boat as pfalvey-- weighing my options between the 360 and Ps3.

That said, I've got a few very specific questions. I just stepped up to a receiver with full HDMI 1.3a connectivity, so I'll now be able to play multichannel PCM (and eventually TrueHD and DTS-Master bitstreams) over my 5.1 setup. I'm kind of itching to try it out, so it's kind of disappointing that the xbox 360 doesn't have any multichannel PCM output either in games or from their HD-DVD add-on drive.

My question is this: which console has better sound? Does the multichannel PCM output from the PS3 really sound that much better? Please answer this if you are using the HDMI audio output of the PS3 in your home theater.

Basically, I feel like I'm leaning toward the 360 right now, because I would like to get into online gaming (Halo3 and Cod4 to be specific). But then, I also like the ps3's Blu-Ray player and multichannel PCM output in games- and I feel like their games library will get better with time.

I know some of you guys have both systems, so it'd be good to hear how they stack up in terms of audio and home theater.

Honestly.. sounds like you need both.

The only place you gonna play Halo3 is on the 360.

The only place you are gonna get the uncompressed sound is the PS3.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/12570619

Honestly.. sounds like you need both.

The only place you gonna play Halo3 is on the 360.

The only place you are gonna get the uncompressed sound is the PS3.

I have both. I am using a 32 inch Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD, with Polk Audio RTi speakers and a velodyne sub, all powered by a Denon AVR-2807.

The multichannel does make a difference, thats one of the first things i noticed with the PS3 is the better SQ, however if you are interested in playing games, the 360 is the "gamers" console, if you want a great Blue-Ray player that just so happens to play games, get the PS3.

Hopefully PS3s games will improve in time.

#76 ·
Well obviously you cant play Halo if yo buy a ps3 but I have played cod4 on 360 and ps3 ( I have both) and you cant tell a difference!..that goes for the online play as well. My home theater consists of a 58" panasonic 1080p plasma, harman kardon avr, and 7.1 klipsche in wall speaker setup with 15" klipsche sub. I bought a hddvd ad-on for my 360 and hated it compared to my ps3 (with the exception of being able to watch Transformers in hd) because I personally thaught that the sound was severely overclassed by my ps3 playing a blu-ray movie.....................uncompressed audio is the shiznit! You cant argue with the fact that the 360 has more games out for it, that is for shure a major plus! But if you are willing to suffer for a few more months their are a bunch of first rate games coming out for the ps3 and as I see it exclusives are becoming a thing of the past. I would tell you to check out the next six months and see whats coming because the ps3 has a lot of good things going on (cmon it is a year behind the 360 give it a chance). But if you go with the 360 you will not be disappointed unless you are an audioholic when it comes to watching a movie then you just may be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.