AVS Forum banner

PS3 or XBOX 360??

12K views 125 replies 57 participants last post by  FootballDen 
#1 ·
I will be getting one of these 2 systems for Xmas and would like some input as to which console would best suit my needs. Here are some important factors:

1. Am mostly a sports gamer. I've read where some people have observed FPS issues with some PS3 sports games, but not all report problems. Otherwise, it seems both systems are relatively even, though MLB the Show interests me alot on PS3.

2. I am interested in using the console as a DVD player, which seems to favor the PS3 with the BRay built-in. What other advantages does the PS3 have over the XBOX360 in this regard?

3. I'm likely limited in spending only $400 for the system, unless I were to just ask for it in cash and save up for the more expensive versions. If I choose xbox360, I'll save the $50 up for the elite for sure. Is there a valid reason I'd want the 80GB PS3 over the 40GB version? I have no ps2 games, so that's not a consideration. I would prefer to buy the 40 and save $100, but am a little concerned the 40 GB may be limited in some way in the future (not sure the concern is valid, however).

4. Using the console as a media center isn't a primary factor right now, but I would like to know which console is better as I may be interested in this in the future.

I have been leaning towards a PS3 purchase and would like some input as I make my decision. I will be using the console on a 52" LCD RP 720p, if that matters. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I have both systems and to me....I prefer the PS3......I use my PS3 for web browsing which is GREAT......

and it has a BLU-Ray player built in.......which can play Blu-Ray and DVD ..the Blu-Ray disc will look GREAT even on an SDTV.....

...the X-Box 360 is also a GREAT system...Im replaying Gears of War and im still amazed with the overall graphics and play mechanics in this game!!!!!

tough call.....If I had to let one of the 2 go i would give up the 360

and keep the PS3

#6 ·
Is this even a question?

Let me see, Xbox Live, video marketplace, demos, arcade, over 300 games, biggest hits, great choice of accessories and cheaper price, not to mention the fact that it is pretty much a certain thing that some of your friends might have the Xbox 360 too, so it's great multiplayer.

I seriously don't even know if there's a question on which one to pick?

I'll tell you, I have all 3 consoles, turned on PS3 like 10-15 times, out of that maybe 5-10 times to watch a movies on Blu-Ray I couldn't get on HD DVD, played Resistance Fall of man, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank and just got Uncharted but as far as other stuff is concerned I paid $600 for about a bunch of NOTHINGNESS this whole past year.

There a might be a few more games coming out next year like GT5 but other stuff is most likely going to get neglected more and more from other developers as number of sold units for a title on PS3 goes into like 20-30k units while for Xbox 360 hits hundreds of thousands even up to a million. Of course this will make developers not invest time into optimizing their games for PS3, instead they have Xbox 360 as the main platform for the most part and PS3 part is like an afterthought. Just look at EA, 2k Games and other sports game publishers, X360 first, then they hire some 3rd party company to do a port to PS3 and then they come out with statements like "We won't blame gamers if they don't wanna buy a PS3 version of the game"

I am telling you this with absolute objectivity. I bought all 3 systems as they came out. Wii I have not turned on 3 times so far. To test it out, to play Resident Evil 4, Golf is cool as you have a feeling you are wacking the ball and Metroid Prime and that was IT. I have no explanation why Wii is so favorable, the system seriously lacks software, maybe even worse then PS3. The controller is fun in the beginning, but they pretty soon you realize, WTF, I don't want to be standing and wacking crap non stop. I want to kick back on my couch, be lazy and do some gaming! It kind of dawns on you really.

Xbox 360 is the winner of this war no doubt. Games, multiplayer, social factor, quality of games, accessories, developer support and the list goes on really. Out of all three, this is the console that gives me EVERYTHING I really need in my hours of entertainment and does an incredible job at that. Don't forget, Xbox Live Video Marketplace is the only download service that allows you watch HD movies from all major studios + TV shows. All in HD.

I know PS3 fans will rip my post apart, but they would be only lying to themselves. Sure PS3 is really a good piece of equipment, but they came out completely unprepared, no real software support and non-existant multiplayer and social features of their PSN. Will this change in the future? I really don't know, but I'll tell you from what I've seen in this industry historically the more time passes by and the more developers realizes that PS3 is not really giving them as much of a return on their investment, it will not be good for the console.

The bottom line is this friend, you buy what you think will give you the most fun, but I simply can't recommend PS3 at all and Blu-Ray is really not an advantage as it seems that the war is far from over and that Blu-Ray might actually not be the next gen format.

If you look at it this way, you would see that the premium you are paying is pretty much, you helping Sony financially fight this war with no certain outcome especially since as HD DVD folks don't get 50% of Blu-Ray titles, Blu-fans don't get 50% of HD DVD titles so that's really a non existant talking point.

Some people might be ok with that, but I'm certainly not keen on recommending a console just because it's Sony and because I had fun with PS2. The story is quit different this time around and I want and will recommend the console that will give us consumers the best experience and connectivity in games. Sony gambled on their PS2 success and came out with a completely unprepared console.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozsterHD /forum/post/12446705

Is this even a question?

I paid $600 for about a bunch of NOTHINGNESS this whole past year.

+1

For the most part, my PS3 is unused except for some BR movies. Uncharted: Jake's Fortune is a good game and really shows the potential of the system. This is the first game that I enjoyed on the PS3. Resistance Fall of Man was average but I didnt finish the game. If you are playing only sports games, it really doesn't matter which platform you choose because they are for the most part the same on both the PS3 and 360. If you are into online gaming, the 360 wins hands down. Call of Duty 4 is like crack. I just started playing it Friday online and wasted my entire weekend. I am not very good and get called a N00b all the time but I love it. XBOX 360 hands down is the winner.

#8 ·
I have both (well, all 3 with the Wii) and my $0.02 are:

The 360 is a far superior game machine.

The PS3 is a far superior movie player, a decent game machine and the web browser is a nice plus.

With that said, if I had to choose one, I would choose the 360 because I mainly want a great gaming machine... but I still wouldn't use it has a movie player. If I only has the PS3, I think I could find enough games to enjoy.

In other words, you would be fine with either as your only machine... but right now the 360 is the true gamer's choice.

#9 ·
Like most anything - what do you want from the machine?

Sports games? Even up on both. Movies? Edge to PS3 - it's built in.........but you might not like the content on Blu-Ray. Price? PS3 is cheaper unless you have a hard wired connection handy. Pure game content? Edge to the 360 - more games, and to some better games.

Recently had the same decision & it came down to a few items -

1) built in wireless, no cable handy & even a bridge would cost a few $$$

2) HDD - 20gb is small & there's no user upgrade ($165 for a 120gb is a huge ripoff)

3) I own an HD-DVD player, so Blu was a huge plus

4) The 360 I had some time with sounded like a jet plane - no thanks, never, no way.

Those were just my criteria, as I said it's different for everyone. Factor in I had/have no vested interest in exclusive for either side - don't care a bit about Halo, Turismo, MGS......

#10 ·
Madden is 60 fps on the 360 and 30 fps on the ps3. I have both consoles. I play more games on the 360 and watch more movies on the ps3. I have many more 360 games. I would get both, but the 360 is a better game console at the moment.

I would get :

Mass effect

Orange box

cod4

halo3

bioshock

#11 ·
I got the 360 when it first came out and I payed the same price for it that you can get a 80gb ps3 for now (Actually it cost me more because I had to buy the wireless adapter that added $100). For that first year the 360 had maybe 2 good games for it and that was it....(its funny how people dont remember that!) Two years later it has some great games and a bunch of them. If you want lots of games now than the 360 is for you!...If you like online gaming remember that it is 8-9$ a month for xbox live.

I got the 60gb ps3 on launch day and at first it really only had 1 good game for it Resistance fall of man, other than that it was a nice blu-ray player. All you needed to buy was an hdmi cable (monoprice 9$) and online gameplay is free via the playstation network. I have to admit at first I didnt use my ps3 much compared to my 360.

About 6 months ago my 360 pulled the ol' RROD bs on me and I had to send it in. It was gone for 2 and a half months and in that time I really got to know my ps3 alot better. With some new firmware updates and some really good games finally coming out for it I found myself getting pretty attached to it. As of late I have been addicted to COD4 like a Bobby Brown to crack cocain.

I do have MLB the show (since you asked about it) and it is a great baseball game although I really dont play it anymore. Right now my ps3 in on as soon as I get home from work until I go to bed every night!............my 360........i am starting to think maybe..............ebay!
Tuff decision that I am going to have to make but once your system burns up on you, that is all you think of every time you turn it on!

I am pretty lucky that I am able to afford both systems and can afford to buy a game whenever I want, but if I had to make a choice I would buy a ps3 as it has alot of really good games out/coming out over the next 0-3 months. The ps3 is a reliable, complete, untapped gaming/home theater system that is just now shaking off its diaper and ready to put on some "big boy pants"

This is just my opinion as I have had both systems for the last year plus. Dont let people bashing 360 or ps3 be your guiding force in your decision because both of these gaming systems are pretty awesome and you will not be dissappointed by either one. I would say if you had a xbox and liked it go for a 360, if you had a ps2 and liked it go for a ps3. If you would like to have a blu-ray player than ps3 is definately for you. If you have the time and money and can afford to buy a bunch of games NOW than the 360 might be your answer.

Bottom line.....dont let a fanboy talk you into one or the other!!

#12 ·
My wife has wrestled with the same decision(mainly for guitar hero III). I think she will be getting a PS3 just because of the horror stories with the RROD. Me I'll stick with PC games I guess.

#13 ·
If I had to pick one or the other, there is no question, I'd choose the Xbox 360. The exclusives list is extensive, the online element is an entire generation ahead of either Sony or Nintendo's, most games are made for 360 and then ported to PS3 (some poorly, like Orange Box appears to be), the list goes on and on. The PS3 is a good system, but honestly if I didn't already have one, I'd wait until MGS4 is actually released to buy it (if I didn't use it a TON for Blu-Ray movies).

If cost is a concern, the PS3 is still 400 dollars at the minimum, and that doesn't include any games or even an HDMI cable. Then again, the 360 will require a 40ish dollar year subscription to Xbox Live (which is worth every dime IMO, but that's beside the point)

Overall, it's really up to you and your wife. At the very least, if you get a 360, there will be alot more people online for you guys to play FPS games with. That's always something to take into account

Oh and if you do get a 40gb PS3, make sure not to get ridiculously priced monster cables, or other "Premium" cables. Any HDMI cable will do. If Component is all your TV supports though, you'll be stuck getting their cables. Either console will be fun.

#14 ·
Normally, for a hardcore gamer I would recommend the 360, but for someone more casual that is going to be playing mostly sports games and wants to use the console for movies and whatnot, I would go for a PS3. Getting a Blu-Ray included with the console is very important factor for someone like you.

If you do decide to get a 360 though, make certain you get one of the newer "Falcon" consoles with the newest,most reliable hardware. Just look for a 175W power supply vs the older 203W.

If I were you though I would go over to gamespot.com (or similar) and make sure the games you want to be playing are available for the system you're looking at. Generally though most sports games (Madden etc) are going to be available for both.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1718 /forum/post/12462185

My wife has wrestled with the same decision(mainly for guitar hero III). I think she will be getting a PS3 just because of the horror stories with the RROD. Me I'll stick with PC games I guess.

It's really too early to know for sure, but with the new Falcon 360's with the 65nm CPU's, RROD shouldn't be much of a concern.

#17 ·
Buy both and have a blast.

I prefer the 360 primarily because of the Halo series. Also, Gears of War, Bioshock, and Mass Effect are 360 console exclusives. The PS3 has exclusive titles as well.

#18 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. I've decided to get the ps3. I would love to have both and I'm sure I'd love the 360, but the ps3 is a better fit for me. The 2 primary factors in my decision were sports games and HD DVD playback. While the 360 currently has the advantage in sports games (adv. seems to be temporary, though), the ps3 easily has a much bigger advantage with the Bray. For what I'm using it for, the ps3 will give me a very good console and a top of the line Bray player for $400. For the 360 to provide similar functions, I'd have to spend probably close to $600, including an ext. warranty (RROD) and the HD-DVD add-on. In addition, to take advantage of one of the 360's biggest features in Live, I'd have to spend another additional $50 for Live subscription plus whatever equipment I'd need to connect it to my internet. Maybe in a year or 2, my financial situation will allow to have both, but right now the ps3 is the best option for me.

#20 ·
I'm not sure I'd call it a wise and informed decision, since RROD is covered by a 3 year warranty already (so there would be no need for an extended warranty) but it is absolutely true that to get a 360 and then the HD-DVD addon, would cost more than a PS3.

Now the only advice I have left for you is: Wait for deals. A few days ago, Amazon had a free game (Stranglehold) and a free PS3 remote control with the purchase of a 40gb PS3. That deal is over, but I think it could be the first of many. I imagine that retailers might (keyword might) be ramping up deals this weekend. If no deals can be had, I'd still say get it from Amazon since you won't have to pay any tax (atleast, you don't in most states). I think you've got until the 15th to buy from them and use their free shipping, so you've still got a few days to decide. Can't beat no tax

#21 ·
I'm not a fan boy. I'm a gamer.

That said, I must very strongly agree with everything BozsterHD and DaveJ said.

I too own all 4 major systems. (Wii, PS3, 360, and PC).

By default I play my PC the most, because i live on City of Heroes, but we are not here to discuss the PC, so i will not.

XB360 truely has won the console war. It's a done deal.

Here's my advice to anyone trying to pick a console:

Make a list!

Not including cross-platformers, list every single game you think you'd like to own (not rent) on the Wii, PS3, and XB360.

Don't count games coming soon or future releases.

Then, take all multi-platform games, and add them to the system you list as having the most games you'd like to play.

Then, when your done, it should be very clear which system is best for you.

#22 ·
Bottom line. If you want the best GAMING experience, get the Xbox 360. It has such a great list of exclusives and the Xbox Live community is FAR surperior than PSN. If you loves sports of FPS, the 360 controller is perfect (and has rumble). Especially if you're into sports and want to compete head to head online, Xbox 360 will be the smarter choice.

As far as a DVD player, the Xbox 360 upconverts your DVDs if you connect it thru VGA/HDMI. The Xbox 360 now also supports Divx. A major plus for me since all I need to do is transfer video files into a usb flash drive and stick it into the 360 and it plays perfectly.

I won't even get into Xbox Live Arcade games and Video market place.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 /forum/post/12449178

Like most anything - what do you want from the machine?

Sports games? Even up on both. Movies? Edge to PS3 - it's built in.........but you might not like the content on Blu-Ray. Price? PS3 is cheaper unless you have a hard wired connection handy. Pure game content? Edge to the 360 - more games, and to some better games.

Recently had the same decision & it came down to a few items -

1) built in wireless, no cable handy & even a bridge would cost a few $$$

2) HDD - 20gb is small & there's no user upgrade ($165 for a 120gb is a huge ripoff)

3) I own an HD-DVD player, so Blu was a huge plus

4) The 360 I had some time with sounded like a jet plane - no thanks, never, no way.

Those were just my criteria, as I said it's different for everyone. Factor in I had/have no vested interest in exclusive for either side - don't care a bit about Halo, Turismo, MGS......

Lots of miss information here.

SPorts = Edge to the 360. 2008 EA sports games all run at 60fps for the 360 and 30 fps for the ps3. That is a major plus for the 360

Movies - PS3 has blueray built in however the 360 has a kick ass dowload service built in and the option of adding a hd dvd drive. The 360 also has its media center cabilitys which are awsome and will allow you to stream almost anything you can download

1) True , but then again all the xbox 360s are cheaper than ps3s in their class. They start at $279 so a $30 bridge would bring you to $310 with 5 free arcade games. Then $350 with a bridge brings you to $380 with two free games . The elite is more expensive than the 40 gig ps3s , but it includes backwards compatiblity and 80 gigs of extra space with two free games

2)Yes the hardrive is expensive , but you can allways buy the elite which has the 120 gig hardrive and you don't have to install anything else or buy anything else . The 40 gig ps3 has no bc and adding a 120 gig hardrive will most likely run you another $80 or so for the price point you need. Also for media like music , pictures and mpeg4 videos you can store them on a cheap external hardrive or stream them from almost any windows pc .

4) My launch unit is pretty much quiet unless i'm playing mass effect. The majority of new 360s are very quiet. There are also reports of extremely loud ps3s .

All in all i'd say they both have thier pros and cons when it comes to media playback and pricing. However the 360 has a major advantage when it comes to games. They have more games out , more games that are ranked higher and more exlusive games currently. Add that to the huge live community and you never have to wait for games to start

If your a gamer the 360 is the ay to go. Mabye in 2010 or whatever the ps3 will finally hit its own stride. But I doubt that , november npd shows it selling the least amount of consoles even behind the ps2 . The software sales were also pathatic . The 360 on the other hand sold almost 800k units in november and has amazing software sales , call of duty 4 sold 1.5m units in nov for them. Mass effect that came out no the 20th sold 500k . Mean while Uncharted sold just over 120k

Its clear that moving foward devs will target the xbox 360 as their console of choice as it simply sells more software and has a larger installed base that is only increaseing over the ps3's installed base.

oh and I forgot xbox live arcade which as a ton of awsome casual games along with scene it you wont need anything else. My family gets together to play scene it all the time , they love it

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd /forum/post/12487773

Lots of miss information here...............

Miss-information or difference of opinion?

PS3 - 40gb+ 120gb drive ($65) = +10 over elite.

To be equivilent for even the elite we'd still need -

+$30 for a bridge

+$160 for the HD DVD drive

Grand total = $648 for the 360 vs $459 for the PS3. Even using sale numbers for the HD DVD add on it's $608...............or............$459 + $159 for an HD DVD player = $618 = far better overall HD movie playing - not even close.

I can't even begin to fathom what 30 vs 60fps gets in any sports game. That would matter in Madden or Tiger Woods how? The only other one I've tried was NASCAR - no glitches.

Personally I could care less about downloading "crap-o-vision" movies, even when Sony introduces "home" - just not for me.

Sales numbers aren't any measure.......how many did 360 sell in year one? Something around 7 - 8 million? The PS3 has sold 7 million in it's first year = even up.

I'd definately agree there's far more software out for the 360, but that depends on what you want to play = to each his/her own.

I'm not saying either side is a loser - it all depends on priorities, finding the one that best meets ones needs...........luckily there are no "turds" in this generation.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXmas /forum/post/12464609

The exclusives list is extensive, the online element is an entire generation ahead of either Sony or Nintendo's, most games are made for 360 and then ported to PS3 (some poorly, like Orange Box appears to be), the list goes on and on.

If you're gonna throw around facts, at least get your facts straight. Orange Box is a PC port, not a 360 port. Also, the framerate is very close to the 360 version, outside of quicksaving and auto-saving (game slows to a crawl at that point...they completely botched that).

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 /forum/post/12492040

Miss-information or difference of opinion?

PS3 - 40gb+ 120gb drive ($65) = +10 over elite.

To be equivilent for even the elite we'd still need -

+$30 for a bridge

+$160 for the HD DVD drive

Grand total = $648 for the 360 vs $459 for the PS3. Even using sale numbers for the HD DVD add on it's $608...............or............$459 + $159 for an HD DVD player = $618 = far better overall HD movie playing - not even close.

I can't even begin to fathom what 30 vs 60fps gets in any sports game. That would matter in Madden or Tiger Woods how? The only other one I've tried was NASCAR - no glitches.

Personally I could care less about downloading "crap-o-vision" movies, even when Sony introduces "home" - just not for me.

Sales numbers aren't any measure.......how many did 360 sell in year one? Something around 7 - 8 million? The PS3 has sold 7 million in it's first year = even up.

I'd definately agree there's far more software out for the 360, but that depends on what you want to play = to each his/her own.

I'm not saying either side is a loser - it all depends on priorities, finding the one that best meets ones needs...........luckily there are no "turds" in this generation.

A couple of things i have issues with in your post. First one is that you count a hi-def player as a must.. what happens if Blu-ray loses? Then it's really completely irrelevant. Some people just want a game console which OP asked.

Second, I would really like to use that same logic and how PS3 will catch up and apply to Blu-Ray/HD DVD scenario. By that, HD DVD should be in great shape.

Quote:

I'm not sure where you get your numbers but last numbers I have for PS3 worldwide sales is 5.6 million. Xbox 360s sold just shy of 15 million. So that's very close to 3:1 advantage in sales? How does it even up?

Take a look at the latest Neilsen numbers as well.. software sales are absolutely horrific for PS3. Call of Duty 4 on both sold (1.56 million vs 440k).

Your numbers don't make sense either.

OP can buy Arcade for $279 and game his heart out. It won't prevent him from playing any games he likes. If he really wants he can buy a hard drive later if he decides that he wants more from his Xbox 360, but even with that, he'll be paying less then the value of PS3 80gb version.

To be honest, I have a PS3 and that wi-fi that comes with it, is pretty much annoying as it's performance is horrid. The connection is slow and the signal is flakey.

The problem I have with Blu-Ray support through PS3 is because people keep recommending Blu-Ray to others just because PS3 plays it, yet nobody really talks about the downsides of the format itself, the expensiveness, the incompatibilities etc etc. Just because 1 device such as PS3 uses it, doesn't make it a good choice. Simple as that.

As for your 30 vs 60fps a second question. It is extremely important that games run closer to 60 fps as there are certain moments during games where the visuals are more intense or have more characters on screen and these framerates drop significantly. 30 fps as quoted is median value, but in PS3s case many sport titles drop below 30 fps at some spots and go over in others. This makes it less enjoyable to play then on Xbox 360.

Not to start any fights here, but PS3 is nowhere near Xbox 360 and it has slim to no chance of ever catching up, little less surpassing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.